ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: The Fender amplifier wars - Everyone is welcome..  (Read 38180 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Steve Hurt fires latest shot at Ned Ward in the Fender wars.
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 08:02:49 PM »

Ned,
The early 70's DR's are almost as much blackface as a 66' blackface. I even have a replacement control panel in stock if you want to change the "silver" look. I don't need to get crazy on the early 70's amps, and I never met one that didn't sound great when I was done.

Just an FYI, I have a fully restored Pro Reverb for sale @ $1100. Just sayin.....
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:08:33 AM »

Sorry Ned, but Steve's got you with this one. I voiced this Champ for a 12" speaker and man does it sound good. The numbers line up just like they should (4-6-6) and an amazing bit of dirt starts to creep in about 5. Pushed to 6 and it's the amp used for most of the Stones recordings. But clean is where it counts and this amp has that in spades. I won't get into the full detail, you guys know what I do, but there's a picture below with some of the magic exposed.

Steve, grab some Kleenex before you start to work this amp. It's gonna make you cry.

If its half as good as the Pro Reverb or the Vibrolux Custom you did for me, it will be awesome.  Can't wait to play it!

fwiw, this is actually a Silverface Vibro Champ.  I read that the circuit was not changed when they changed the faceplate color and I like the look of blackface, so I bought a panel on eBay and put it on. 

I built the head cabinet from a piece of African mahogany salvaged from a table my mom and dad built together when they first got married.  ( It was an awful table, neither was a woodworker!, but the wood was beautiful and they built it together so it makes it special for me)

My band is moving to IEM, so I need good sound, not loud.  The plan is a small amp and a speaker in a box with a mic in it.  This is the amp.  I'll post once I've played it, but I'd bet a lot of money that I'm going to like what I hear! 

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:20:34 AM »

Here's a better picture of the wood/cabinet

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 09:42:53 AM »

When I got the amp there was little or no sound. Was it like that when you bought it??

The wiring color and type was a dead giveaway this was a 70's era amplifier. Note the white and green rubber covered wire vs. the cloth covered red, green and yellow used up until about 1968-69.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »

When I got the amp there was little or no sound. Was it like that when you bought it??

The wiring color and type was a dead giveaway this was a 70's era amplifier. Note the white and green rubber covered wire vs. the cloth covered red, green and yellow used up until about 1968-69.

I bought it from a guy on a facebook group.  It was sold as working, but it didn't really work.
Light came on but only a whisper came out of the speaker, even at full volume.
Tried all the spare tubes I have and none fixed it

I was going to have a local guy do the work, but when we decided to go IEM's, and I realized this amp was going to be what I use live, I asked for your help so the tone and reliability would be 12 on a scale of 1-10!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 12:28:17 AM »

Thanks Bro.

I tried to get the amp out today but ran into some issues. It'll go out tomorrow or Saturday.

By the way, when the amp arrived the tubes had fallen out. I put new sockets and added retainer clips and it looks like you'll need a crowbar to get them out now.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 10:34:36 AM »

Thanks Bro.

I tried to get the amp out today but ran into some issues. It'll go out tomorrow or Saturday.

By the way, when the amp arrived the tubes had fallen out. I put new sockets and added retainer clips and it looks like you'll need a crowbar to get them out now.

This is why it came to you.

I had noticed the loose tube sockets and forgot to mention them, but you saw them and took care of it.  No one else would have done that. 

It's worth the wait regardless of how long it takes (and the local guy would probably have taken longer anyway!)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:43 PM »

Sorry for the wait Steve. It's been a health thing, but it looks like the docs finally have a handle on it.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 01:07:40 PM »

I have a Pro Reverb I'm going to put smaller transformers in. I'll let you know how that turns out. It's an early 70's Pro I've rebuilt, but this beast has the output of a Twin Reverb and at 2 1/2 it's louder than a Deluxe. The goal will be to reduce output with slightly decreased headroom. Maybe I can reduce the output, retain the tone, give it a middle control, and then end up with a 30-35 watt Twin Reverb.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »

I have a Pro Reverb I'm going to put smaller transformers in. I'll let you know how that turns out. It's an early 70's Pro I've rebuilt, but this beast has the output of a Twin Reverb and at 2 1/2 it's louder than a Deluxe. The goal will be to reduce output with slightly decreased headroom. Maybe I can reduce the output, retain the tone, give it a middle control, and then end up with a 30-35 watt Twin Reverb.

Sounds like you're describing a Vibrolux (w/2-12's instead of 2-10's) to me!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.