ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I get a new one?  (Read 10254 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Should I get a new one?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »

I'm sure you meant to say "Since the colonies kicked England's ass and sent us home to mum.

We had to make it appear that way!

And by the way, I stopped at a BP station for gas yesterday and the price was $2.86 per gallon. Isn't British Petroleum selling gas for the same price to the British people ?

They are but the tax our government adds is about 62%.  Quite outrageous really but they would get it from us one way or another.

Using the $7.82 per US gallon price I worked out earlier, 38% of that is $2.97 before tax - so close to your price, although I assume you pay some tax on it.

Does anyone in your family speak German?

Well, we speak English which originated as a Germanic language.

Steve.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »

They are but the tax our government adds is about 62%.  Quite outrageous really but they would get it from us one way or another.

It is that level of taxation that allows you to have a massive public transportation infrastructure. If we tried that over here in the USA, we'd end up with about $50/gal gas to pay for that light rail train to the Big Sky Ranch in central Montana (that would have about 3 riders per week).

Our population densities make mass transit unfeasible in rural and suburban areas. You need high density to justify it.

Mass transit needs to be faster, cheaper, and more convenient than private transportation to gain acceptance. In the US, it's nowhere near any of those three, except for airline travel -- and the TSA and airlines are really working hard to remove the convenience factor.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 02:47:57 PM »

It is that level of taxation that allows you to have a massive public transportation infrastructure. If we tried that over here in the USA, we'd end up with about $50/gal gas to pay for that light rail train to the Big Sky Ranch in central Montana (that would have about 3 riders per week).

Our population densities make mass transit unfeasible in rural and suburban areas. You need high density to justify it.

Mass transit needs to be faster, cheaper, and more convenient than private transportation to gain acceptance. In the US, it's nowhere near any of those three, except for airline travel -- and the TSA and airlines are really working hard to remove the convenience factor.

We used to subsidize air travel to those types of markets.  Somehow the media perverted that into some greedy airline was making money off the government to fly empty planes and the funding disappeared for a vital rural service.

I remember the shocked look on some guys face that the government paid 10k to fly an empty plane to Sodomite Hills, West Virginia and the reaction they filmed.

Of course nobody realized it cost the airline $9000.00 if everything goes right to fly that trip. 

If they ever pulled the funding in Alaska the native villages would not get to have their pizza delivered by private plane (I am not making this up), splice in "God Bless America"

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »

Just hit the 250K on my '02 Silverado. Thinking about a new one, but this one has been very good to me.

The best part it's been paid for a long time ago. 8)

My '02 Silverado is just a few thousand miles behind yours, yet I'll happily jump in it any time for a cross country road trip and know that there will not be a problem. Mine has been very good to me too. I'm not going to sell it until it completely falls apart.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Richard Turner

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 11:50:45 PM »

which engine?

I've got a couple chevs with the vortech 6cyl with about 220 000 mi on each. Ones a 96 the other a 97. You are definelty due for a timing chain, other than that keep on keepin on
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2014, 02:10:02 AM »

After 355,000 miles, my '02 Honda Accord is pretty much all used up. The engine leaks about a quart of oil every 3,000 miles, but I don't think it's burning any. The big problem is that the transmission is just about shot. I figure I'll be happy if I can sell it for $1500.

Here in the Pacific Northwest we don't salt the roads, so the body is still in good shape and the interior isn't bad at all.

Just replaced it a couple of months ago with a '12 Accord with the V6 engine, its a pretty snappy rig.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »

which engine?
Mine is the 5.3L Vortec V8 and it came with the towing package so it has a little radiator for the transmission fluid. A couple friends have similar trucks with the smaller Vortec V8 and they have both had transmission problems at around 120,000 miles. Anyone I know with the 5.3L has had zero problems if they actually do the required maintenance.

I've got a couple chevs with the vortech 6cyl with about 220 000 mi on each. Ones a 96 the other a 97. You are definelty due for a timing chain, other than that keep on keepin on

I'll be honest, my truck lives a pretty easy life. However every now and then I'll make it work for its room and board, but it is not very often.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2014, 01:35:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.