ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware needed for iPhone DMX control?  (Read 15417 times)

Rich Grisier

• Erie, PA
Hardware needed for iPhone DMX control?
« on: June 12, 2014, 04:29:56 PM »

I'm thinking about using the Luminair iPhone app to control lights.  What hardware do I need to create a wireless connection between my iPhone and the DMX signal that goes to all my lights?

Steve Garris

Re: Hardware needed for iPhone DMX control?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:51:02 PM »

I'm thinking about using the Luminair iPhone app to control lights.  What hardware do I need to create a wireless connection between my iPhone and the DMX signal that goes to all my lights?

You need a DMX Ethernet dongle and a router. Most use the Apple Airport Express router. The iPad will communicate with the router, which connects to the dongle via Ethernet cord. The dongle has a 5 or 3 pin DMX output that goes to your lights.

Here's a vid:

Now if you really want to get fancy, you can eliminate most or all of your DMX cables with these:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HWM3UBA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1ZA0LKMGHFMHQ&coliid=I1L3224P5GLNKI

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »

I have a question for you lighting peeps…… I have the Enttec open USB dmx interface which I have been using wired to my mac book. Instead of purchasing the ethernet version mentioned here, could I get a USB to Ethernet converter and use it between my  USB dmx Enttec and a router so I could go wireless with my iPad? Or do I have to purchase the ethernet version??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Gow

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 01:07:56 AM »

Really?

I use DMXIS, which includes a USB - DMXIS interface. I control it remotely with an iPad and a Midi app called touchosc.

The router connects to the comp.
the iPad connects to the comp through the router, controlling the DMXIS software.

DMXIS sends the DMX data out as it always does. There's no need for an Ethernet DMX dongle.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »

Really?

I use DMXIS, which includes a USB - DMXIS interface. I control it remotely with an iPad and a Midi app called touchosc.

The router connects to the comp.
the iPad connects to the comp through the router, controlling the DMXIS software.

DMXIS sends the DMX data out as it always does. There's no need for an Ethernet DMX dongle.

I am assuming the Ethernet dongle removes the need for a computer
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Gow

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 10:35:31 AM »

I am assuming the Ethernet dongle removes the need for a computer

Ahhhhhh ok. I'm assuming the iPad app itself runs the lights then? Mine is kind of a workaround, with the iPad controlling the computer controlling the lights.

I was confused.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 10:55:07 AM »

Ahhhhhh ok. I'm assuming the iPad app itself runs the lights then? Mine is kind of a workaround, with the iPad controlling the computer controlling the lights.

I was confused.

No problem….I have used things that way too but I really want to keep my $1000 macbook at home as I have an iPad mini I can take for lights whilst I use my iPad for remote mixing. - 1 less thing to lose, get damaged, keep an eye on etc!!!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:19:51 PM »

I have a question for you lighting peeps…… I have the Enttec open USB dmx interface which I have been using wired to my mac book. Instead of purchasing the ethernet version mentioned here, could I get a USB to Ethernet converter and use it between my  USB dmx Enttec and a router so I could go wireless with my iPad? Or do I have to purchase the ethernet version??

Does anyone know if this is possible or do I need to spend another $260 for the ethernet version???

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 07:20:43 PM »

Does anyone know if this is possible or do I need to spend another $260 for the ethernet version???
Not possible to do that. You'd need to buy the Enttec or another box that has the NIC for use with ArtNet. The other option would be to to get a raspberry pi and program it to be an ArtNet to DMX relay using your usb dmx box but I'd just buy the real thing.

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »

There's this one:
http://dmxking.com/artnetsacn/edmx1

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 08:41:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.