ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: need updated recommendation for S/PDIF to AES/EBU converter  (Read 4774 times)

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia

I need recommendations for an S/PDIF to AES/EBU converter to get digital audio out of my LS9s to the the AES inputs on my Fulcrum Acoustic speakers.  Search results turned up a couple of results from several years back.  Current offerings that seemingly fit the bill run from the Hosa CDL-313 to the RDL FP-DFC2, but I'd like to hear about some direct experience.  I'm going the S/PDIF route because the single MY card slot in my LS9-16 is already occupied.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: need updated recommendation for S/PDIF to AES/EBU converter
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »

I need recommendations for an S/PDIF to AES/EBU converter to get digital audio out of my LS9s to the the AES inputs on my Fulcrum Acoustic speakers.  Search results turned up a couple of results from several years back.  Current offerings that seemingly fit the bill run from the Hosa CDL-313 to the RDL FP-DFC2, but I'd like to hear about some direct experience.  I'm going the S/PDIF route because the single MY card slot in my LS9-16 is already occupied.

This one is still the simplest method.

Mac

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 05:45:15 PM »

This one is still the simplest method.

Except that the LS9s have an RCA connector, not a BNC connector.  Also need a way to split the digital 2 track out from the LS9 into four separate lines: L and R and then sub and top on each side.  The Fulcrum speakers don't have an AES through.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:49:01 PM by Kirby Yarbrough »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 05:55:54 PM »

Except that the LS9s have an RCA connector, not a BNC connector.  Also need a way to split the digital 2 track out from the LS9 into four separate lines: L and R and then sub and top on each side.  The Fulcrum speakers don't have an AES through.

An RCA to BNC cable will make the connection, I would not have thought that would be an issue. You cannot split the AES easily. You need an AES DA, and each line will remain whatever the 2 channels you patched to it are.

Mac

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 08:34:11 PM »

This box should do the trick, although it's a lot of money, considering what it does:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/297765-REG/Henry_Engineering_DM_DigiMatch_2x6_AES_EBU_S_PDIF.html\

I bought one for $25 from someone who was selling one locally on kijiji.  Other than testing it, I haven't really used it yet, but it seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

After reading your subsequent post, it looks like you need four actual outputs, so you might have to up the ante, and go with this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/578751-REG/RDL_HR_DDA4_HR_DDA4_Digital_Audio_Distributor.html

None of these type of boxes actually change formats, just the levels and impedances, which can lead to some problems with devices that read the "professional" bit in the stream as "copy protect".  But that shouldn't be a problem for speakers.  If you're not going very far, simply connecting the SPDIF to an AES input will work.  Adding a 220Ω resistor across the AES input will even make the input look pretty close to 75Ω for the SPDIF output and cable.

GTD

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 09:01:59 PM »

This box should do the trick, although it's a lot of money, considering what it does:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/297765-REG/Henry_Engineering_DM_DigiMatch_2x6_AES_EBU_S_PDIF.html\

I bought one for $25 from someone who was selling one locally on kijiji.  Other than testing it, I haven't really used it yet, but it seemed like too good a deal to pass up.

After reading your subsequent post, it looks like you need four actual outputs, so you might have to up the ante, and go with this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/578751-REG/RDL_HR_DDA4_HR_DDA4_Digital_Audio_Distributor.html

None of these type of boxes actually change formats, just the levels and impedances, which can lead to some problems with devices that read the "professional" bit in the stream as "copy protect".  But that shouldn't be a problem for speakers.  If you're not going very far, simply connecting the SPDIF to an AES input will work.  Adding a 220Ω resistor across the AES input will even make the input look pretty close to 75Ω for the SPDIF output and cable.

GTD

I really don't know why. But something about relying on one of those boxes, to be able to send a signal to my main speakers would bother me a little; in a "weakest link" sort of way...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 09:05:39 PM by JasonFinnigan »

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »

I would think it would be easier to just add the aes/ebu card to your ls9. I have one for sale if you are interested.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »

Kirby, when you make the switch to digital, be aware that you may experience a drop in output level.  I tried the AES output of my QL1 into my FA22AC and experienced a level drop of around 5db vs the analog outputs.  I hooked the speakers up to Armonia and didn't see any gain differences inside the boxes, so I think this is a console issue. 

So far I have only done this in my "shop", but I am going to buy a Sescom AES splitter do do this at shows.  Not surprisingly, the digital connection sounds better to me.  Even if they sound the same I'm sure I convinced myself that the digital sounds better and I gain some more outputs.

I have used the AES outputs of my Avid S3L to feed my FA22AC at shows, but have not tried that at in the "shop", so I can't say if there is the same level drop.  I have to prep with the S3L for tour this week so I'll give it a try if I have time.

If you run your mains from digital outputs and front fills or subs analog, I recommend that you check polarity.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.