ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Infocomm starts a week from today  (Read 19894 times)

Jordan Wolf

Re: Infocomm starts a week from today
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »

The one thing that many companies did which at first was kinda boring, but turned out to be really great...is playing the same tracks. It's makes comparing products and brands easier.
Side comment here...

It might be kind of cool if there was a way to stream high-quality music to the exhibitors so that there would be a standard reference point throughout the entire venue...you get a streaming box with XLR outs, and hook it up.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2014, 11:45:13 PM »

What stood out to me is how bad the spoken word was in a number of rooms.

I have to agree. I'm sitting through some demos wondering why I would buy speakers from a company when their product is presented so poorly. It's hard to take the marketing guy seriously when they're pumping up all of their large scale installations and how well their products work and yet they're having trouble getting natural sounding speech to 50 people in a meeting room.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2014, 07:35:46 AM »

Side comment here...

It might be kind of cool if there was a way to stream high-quality music to the exhibitors so that there would be a standard reference point throughout the entire venue...you get a streaming box with XLR outs, and hook it up.
But not everybody want the same tracks.  And they use different tracks for different products.

It is not a comparison, but rather an introduction to products and concepts.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »

But not everybody want the same tracks.  And they use different tracks for different products.

It is not a comparison, but rather an introduction to products and concepts.

Plus, aural memory is notoriously short lived.

Best regards,

John

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »

Today with high quality audio coming from small portable devices, the serious tire-kicker should bring his own tracks to listen to. IIRC some already do. While half the time somebody at a NAMM show gave me a CD to play, they were pimping their CD, not really listening to the system.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2014, 04:37:14 AM »

What stood out to me is how bad the spoken word was in a number of rooms.

They just did not seem to care about that-yet that is one of the first things that gets my attention.

One in particular was so bad that when I swung by mid demo I didn't make it past the door.
The only reason I might have stuck around would have been to hear the guy's voice unamplified to compare.

Jason

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2014, 06:22:21 AM »

I have to agree. I'm sitting through some demos wondering why I would buy speakers from a company when their product is presented so poorly. It's hard to take the marketing guy seriously when they're pumping up all of their large scale installations and how well their products work and yet they're having trouble getting natural sounding speech to 50 people in a meeting room.
I'm with Matt on this one.
How hard is it for an audio company to get the spoken word right!
Very frustrating >:(
"physician heal thyself"
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2014, 07:35:27 AM »

I have seen this from even the most respected companies out there.

And some things would be EASY to correct-such as the overloaded mic pre--------

I guess you are supposed to just believe what they are telling you-and not actually listen to what they are doing/providing.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »

I've probably been guilty of my share of that... Trade show demos are usually about showcasing some new products not always using the best system for the space. Sound rooms inside trade show booths can be horrible sonic spaces, and systems are generally operated by marketing types, better at talking that setting up systems. The character of a small sound room will change dramatically between empty and when the meat puppets are packed in like sardines. So even if set up right ahead of time, things change. 

For several years I worked a booth where I had separate acoustic space next to a larger sound room with a window between us like a studio control room. I had a split off the snake and could run open mics through a console and studio monitors in my space. Trust me the band sounded a lot better in my room than in the live room. In my judgement more because of the room/gear than the operators. while I ran much lower SPL. Sometimes the demo is just physically impossible to get right. For years at Frankfurt, I would try to demo a recording console using a split from a live stage inside a sound room. Since I was out in the hall I had strict SPL limits that affected my mix. The LF bleed from the live band playing several meters away required me to get the rest of the mix level up to sound even... The sound polizie kept dinging me to turn down the bass, and I'd have to show them how it didn't go away when I tuned my system completely off. I'm sure the majority that walked by without stopping, thought I had sh__ for ears and did a bass heavy mix on purpose.  8)

Over the years I have experienced many operator errors from non-sound men running sound demos. Just because people work for a large equipment manufacturer does not automatically make them experts at operating that same equipment, even if their bosses think they should be. 

This is no excuse and it does distract from the message.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 22 queries.