ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Selling old gear in bulk  (Read 7063 times)

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
Selling old gear in bulk
« on: June 11, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »

A company I work for has 7 or 8 pallets of old gear to sell. Everything from old amplifiers, DSP, speakers, road cases etc. Has anyone had any luck with places like avforsale.com or something similar that takes a percentage of the sale and deal with testing, selling, shipping, etc? Company is located in burbank, ca if that helps. Would prefer not to ship the stuff cross country if possible.

Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Sean Hayes

Re: Selling old gear in bulk
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 11:15:15 AM »

A company I work for has 7 or 8 pallets of old gear to sell. Everything from old amplifiers, DSP, speakers, road cases etc. Has anyone had any luck with places like avforsale.com or something similar that takes a percentage of the sale and deal with testing, selling, shipping, etc? Company is located in burbank, ca if that helps. Would prefer not to ship the stuff cross country if possible.

I have this exact same question, except with old video gear.
Sean T. Hayes

Larry Sheehan

• Georgetown, TX
    • San Gabriel Sound
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 11:23:50 AM »

Only as a buyer. I bought my studio's console from them. It was a good experience.

Larry Sheehan - San Gabriel Sound

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »

Only as a buyer. I bought my studio's console from them. It was a good experience.

I have purchased quite a bit from them as well, always a good experience.
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Richard Turner

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »

Theres several national /international broker services, along with fleabay

Google finds them rather quickly. It really depends on how much you want to recoup and how much labour you want to put into the sale.

If you just want it gone price it at 2-3 x its weight valued as scrap steel and put it on craigslist and I'd sure some bottom feeder liquadator etc would sniff it out and haul it off.

If you are looking to recoup money more effort would be needed or package in usable chunks someone doing B-C stages might consider.

If its on skids why does it bother you how far away it goes? Buyer pays freight.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 03:18:34 PM »

If you want real income from the sale then an auction house is the best and least expensive method I have found. If your goal is to move the hardware, make room in your warehouse, and make some money on top of that I'm sure there are companies in your area that will buy bulk electronics regardless of type. You might also palletize the gear and sell it on Ebay in pallet sized lots shipped via freight across the USA. I've done all the above and made more money than ever expected.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 09:42:17 AM »

I just sold a bunch of stuff on AVForSale and liked it. They take 35% commission but they handle all aspects once you get them the stuff. I was able to drop stuff in person (they are in Atlanta) and you can ship stuff to them but I don't know how much you can expect to make if you have to do that. They have a wide eBay audience now so I got prices way more than I feel I would have than by trying to list on my own
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

John Fruits

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 07:36:40 AM »

There are a couple of local options you might consider.
lightbroker.com is in Burbank and they do sell AV stuff.  They are a division of Towards 2000.
You might also chat with 4Wall which has a Los Angeles warehouse.
http://www.usedav.com/9671/we-want-to-buy-your-complete-facility
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 11:30:04 AM »

I just sold a bunch of stuff on AVForSale and liked it. They take 35% commission but they handle all aspects once you get them the stuff. I was able to drop stuff in person (they are in Atlanta) and you can ship stuff to them but I don't know how much you can expect to make if you have to do that. They have a wide eBay audience now so I got prices way more than I feel I would have than by trying to list on my own

This is what I meant by not wanting to ship pallets of gear across the country, if they are taking 35% plus shipping fees to get it there, I might be able to get more for it somewhere closer.
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 11:34:27 AM »

Thanks for all the info guys,

I have a couple guys going through everything to make an itemized list that we can send off to a couple companies. At this point we really need to move the gear to free up some much needed space (I think we are at 10 or so pallets at this point)  I really like the idea of selling it as a lot to a company that can resell it, I know we will not get as much money for it, but the headache of not having to deal with any of it huge.

SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 11:34:27 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 26 queries.