ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: does this connector exist?  (Read 14008 times)

Eric_Muller

Re: does this connector exist?
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 06:45:42 PM »

Eric, thanks for the picture.

There are a couple of explanations, the first is a common neutral bus bar (shouldn't be case here, Six2 knows better); another is neutral grounded inside the box (ditto); the final one is leakage in the Edison to PowerCon cables.  I've seen shop-built cables trip GFCIs due to less than ideal assembly practices.... 

You can test for the first 2 by using your ohm meter to check for open or short between the neutral slots of the red and black circuits.  The neutral should be the taller slot, typically in the 9 o'clock position.  You should find this to be an open.  A short indicates that somehow the neutrals from both inlets are tied together.  Test for ground bonding by checking for short/open between the neutral and ground pin for both Black and Red circuits.  These, too, should test as open circuits.

That takes us back to the cords you're powering the distro with.

Tim, I had an employee once.... once. He never assembled cabling though... more of a self proclaimed "A1 mix god" after 25 shows.

The distro feeder cables are made by me. Photo attached. No stray strands or obvious (to me) issues. No continuity between terminals.

I recently went through my  pre built CBI powered speakers cables too. Some need some light fixing like re stripping to get the connector strain relief back on the cable housing, but they were all functional and there were no blatant mis-connections or "only 1 strand still connected" situations.

The distro has separate neutral bars for each circuit. The red circuit's neutral bar has only 2 taps, 1 coming from the input and one going to the first red receptacle. Then the neutral daisy chains from red receptacle #1 to red receptacle #2. On this distro, the 2 front red receptacles are the only receptacles fed by input 2.

There is NO continuity between circuit 1 and circuit 2 neutrals (white wire/silver terminal). As expected, there is continuity between the ground/green terminals as the ground bus bars are connected at the chasis ground screw located on the left, behind the circuit breakers. See pic for test setup.

-Eric

Eric_Muller

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »

bigger pic of the distro guts in my dropbox...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5nwk061kmw4q7i/power%20distro%20big.jpg

-Eric

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »

bigger pic of the distro guts in my dropbox...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g5nwk061kmw4q7i/power%20distro%20big.jpg

-Eric
I don't see anything obvious wrong with your distro equipment.  Keep in mind that GFCI tripping usually happens because of equipment, not the distro.  Guitar amps can be problematic, as can surge protectors with MOVs that are failing.  I would suggest investigating the things you plug into your distro next.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »

I don't see anything obvious wrong with your distro equipment.  Keep in mind that GFCI tripping usually happens because of equipment, not the distro.  Guitar amps can be problematic, as can surge protectors with MOVs that are failing.  I would suggest investigating the things you plug into your distro next.

Yep, I wanted to rule out the front end of this first.  If connecting the distro (without loads connected) makes a GFCI trip, the problem is in the distro or the cables/connectors feeding it.  When we know the distro/cables/connections are 100% good, he can start connecting stuff until the GFCI trips.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 01:07:44 PM »

Eric says his gear works "everywhere" else-does that include other venues with GFCIs or not?  If the same gear, hooked up the same way trips one GFCI but not another I would suspect a bad GFCI-though the ba d one could be the one that does not trip!  On the other hand, if they have a bad GFCI. you'd think they would have other complaints and would hopefully have found the problem.
Steve Swaffer

Eric_Muller

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »

Of course after all the discussion and worry the power caused no problems this year.

I kept subs, mains, monitors, band backline and my mix gear on their own circuits/GFCIs so I could trouble shoot if needed.

It was nice that the venue representative sent me a picture of the side of the feeder cable connection the day before the event (I contacted them a month before)  ::)

I now know the venue's power connection specifics so at least I can buy my own power distro as they have been storing their "weatherproof" distro outside for years and I still don't want to rely on it for the heavier gig coming up.

I really don't know why they wouldn't let me see it earlier, apparently the (wrong) info they gave was supposed to be enough.

Thanks for all the help and information. I read all of it and will read it again.

Eric

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2014, 03:34:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.