ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with wiring live sound  (Read 3970 times)

Harrison Klein

Help with wiring live sound
« on: June 09, 2014, 06:42:53 PM »

So I know this might be a little (or a lot) on the simple side, but I need some major help. I'm in charge of a social organization that frequently hosts events that require a large amount of sound. In the past we have hired a sound crew and their equipment for larger shows/events. They are good for the occasional large show, but too expensive to use on a weekly basis. I basically want to use the pre-existing equipment that we own and use our own sound. The problem is, is that I have trouble getting it all wired and working. The equipment we currently own is as follows: 2 Peavey 115s, 2 peavey 215s, 1 Double 18" sub, 2 QSC GX5s,1 amp of unknown origin, and 1 Behringer XENYX X1204USB USB Mixer. If anyone could explain to me how to get all this wired and working correctly, with low and high frequencies correct, it would be appreciated. I know I will also need to purchase a crossover...but which one? please help!

Thank you

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Help with wiring live sound
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 07:34:36 PM »

Not to be rude-but is one thing to get it hooked up to make sound.

HOWEVER making good sound is MUCH more complicated-and not something that can be discussed on a forum-without a lot more detailed information-such as accurate measurements (which can be harder than getting a decent sound).

My suggestion is to hire somebody who knows what is going on.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:06:59 AM »

Ivan is totally correct. Basically, the signal flow is: mics -> mixer -> crossover -> amps -> speakers but hooking it up and making the proper adjustments would be an easy job for an experienced pro. My recommendation is the same: hire someone local to do it and to teach you (and to be available to trouble-shoot for you later)
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Hookup Help
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:52:03 AM »

This will probably be moved to the Lab Lounge soon; otherwise, folks here will tell you to go all-digital and buy a line array.

A few questions immediately come to mind, the answers to which will help us help you...

Can you be more specific on your equipment list?  We'd need to know more about your "amp of unknown origin", the Peaveys (they've made many, many 115 and 215 models over the decades, ranging in quality from "dog food" to "pretty good"), and the make/model of the 2x18 sub.

How are you set for mics, cables, stands, etc.?

Is this for bands?  Variety shows?  What sort of music?  What sort of facility?  Anticipated audience size?

Do you have a budget for more than a crossover, or are you stuck with what you have?

Finally, where are you?  I ask for 2 reasons - first, because one of us may be able to advise you locally, and second, if you're near a large city Craigslist can be your friend - especially if you're a non-profit or charitable organization on a budget and have to scrounge.

RE: Crossovers - with so many good options out there for dirt cheap, there's no reason to buy junk.  If you have a hundred bucks you should have no problem finding (for example) a dbx 223XL, which is probably a good match for your gear.

You should get more suggestions once this is moved to the Lounge...
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Ron Balsom

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 11:43:20 PM »

So I know this might be a little (or a lot) on the simple side, but I need some major help. I'm in charge of a social organization that frequently hosts events that require a large amount of sound. In the past we have hired a sound crew and their equipment for larger shows/events. They are good for the occasional large show, but too expensive to use on a weekly basis. I basically want to use the pre-existing equipment that we own and use our own sound. The problem is, is that I have trouble getting it all wired and working. The equipment we currently own is as follows: 2 Peavey 115s, 2 peavey 215s, 1 Double 18" sub, 2 QSC GX5s,1 amp of unknown origin, and 1 Behringer XENYX X1204USB USB Mixer. If anyone could explain to me how to get all this wired and working correctly, with low and high frequencies correct, it would be appreciated. I know I will also need to purchase a crossover...but which one? please help!
    Greetings Harrison,  Please check for my reply on your PM messaging. Thanks,  RonB  307 315 7412   [email protected]
Thank you

Ron Balsom

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:37:13 AM »

Thank you

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:37:13 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.