ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with wiring live sound  (Read 2801 times)

Harrison Klein

Need help with wiring live sound
« on: June 09, 2014, 07:02:32 PM »

So I know this might be a little (or a lot) on the simple side, but I need some major help. I'm in charge of a social organization that frequently hosts events that require a large amount of sound. In the past we have hired a sound crew and their equipment for larger shows/events. They are good for the occasional large show, but too expensive to use on a weekly basis. I basically want to use the pre-existing equipment that we own and use our own sound. The problem is, is that I have trouble getting it all wired and working. The equipment we currently own is as follows: 2 Peavey 115s, 2 peavey 215s, 1 Double 18" sub, 2 QSC GX5s,1 amp of unknown origin, and 1 Behringer XENYX X1204USB USB Mixer. If anyone could explain to me how to get all this wired and working correctly, with low and high frequencies correct, it would be appreciated. I know I will also need to purchase a crossover...but which one? please help!

Thank you

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Need help with wiring live sound
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »

Hi Harrison,

I'll take a stab at this one.  Just a disclaimer though, while I own a midrange sound system and do run sound once in a while, I'm more of a light guy and can't compare my knowledge/experience to a lot of the more seasoned audio professionals here.  That said, here's how I'd set up your system:

Hook up your GX5s to your Peaveys, one to the 115s, one to the 215s.  As far as their physical placement goes, be aware there will be some interference between those speakers if clustered together.  Again, I'm not an expert on that sort of thing but a quick search through this forum will turn up plenty of reading about it.  Search comb filtering for starters.

Knowing nothing about the amp or subwoofer, I'd take a random guess that they are meant to be hooked up together seeing that other amps and speakers are pretty good matches. 

Yes, you will need to buy a crossover.  I personally use a BBE DS24, but there are many options available.  I chose what I did because I am a mobile operator with a few different speaker combinations, and this crossover can save different profiles as well as handle a few more advanced features such as delay.  A search or post in this forum (particularly the lab lounge) will probably yield some more input to this as well.  Once you get your crossover, just run your mains out from the mixer into the crossover and then out into the appropriate amps.  Let your ears help you set the appropriate crossover frequencies and filters.

Hope this helps!
-Jeff

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Need help with wiring live sound
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 10:34:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.