ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protools HD Native and Dante  (Read 21371 times)

MikeHarris

Re: Protools HD Native and Dante
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 04:35:19 AM »

Avid will sell latest PTHD to owners of a Venue...if you have any friends with one.

Btw...it appears both the Focusrite & Yamaha Dante accelerator cards are OEM from Audinate...as they both have a Red PCB

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »

Well...apparently what I want to do, which is to plug in an Ethernet cable to my computer and the Dante network and record 64 channels of audio straight into Protools HD without having to go through a metric shit tone of HD I/O interfaces, won't work.

Why can't Avid and Yamaha just play nice with each other?

So assuming the problem is that ProTools HD can only use the HD interface, Can you use the non-HD version of ProTools and DVSC, then import that project into ProTools HD?

Sorry, if this seems stupid, I'm not a ProTools user.
Mark McFarlane

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 05:09:22 PM »

So assuming the problem is that ProTools HD can only use the HD interface, Can you use the non-HD version of ProTools and DVSC, then import that project into ProTools HD?

Sorry, if this seems stupid, I'm not a ProTools user.
Yes. And this is what I currently do: Protools 11 with Dante Virtual Sound Card. However, Protools vanilla/non-HD/ex-LE (or whatever they are calling it this week) will only allow up to 32 simultaneous inputs. It will mix up to 96 in post, but you are limited to only 32 input channels.

In order to get above the 32 input channel limitation, you have to use some flavor of HD (HD Native or HDx). Additionally, Protools HD WILL allow the use of third party Core Audio or ASIO audio interfaces. HOWEVER, if you have an HD license and the HD software, and you use an interface other than the HD hardware, then that 32 channel limitation comes back. So instead of being able to make a quick, easy and elegant connection between your Dante network (which already has 64 channels of digital audio on it) and your computer...you have to start racking up tonnes of HD I/O, Madi I/O,  or Focusrite Red Net interfaces and basically convert from one Dante stream to another, or from Dante to Madi to get into Protools.

My quest was to find a way to record all 64 channels on my CL5 straight into Protools without having to roll out a rack of HD I/Os etc... I think, instead of buying a Protools HD Native system with the Omni I/O (and really, even a full HDx system with multiple HD I/Os and Avid Pres STILL wouldn't do what I want it to), I'm just going to get a Sound Devices 970 Dante recorder and then import into Protools non-HD in post. A royal PITA, but this is the way Avid wants it.

Sheldon Radford, if you are reading this thread, take note: Avid just lost a sale because of your arbitrary track limitations.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

gordonmcgregor

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 05:46:22 PM »

Yes. And this is what I currently do: Protools 11 with Dante Virtual Sound Card. However, Protools vanilla/non-HD/ex-LE (or whatever they are calling it this week) will only allow up to 32 simultaneous inputs. It will mix up to 96 in post, but you are limited to only 32 input channels.

In order to get above the 32 input channel limitation, you have to use some flavor of HD (HD Native or HDx). Additionally, Protools HD WILL allow the use of third party Core Audio or ASIO audio interfaces. HOWEVER, if you have an HD license and the HD software, and you use an interface other than the HD hardware, then that 32 channel limitation comes back. So instead of being able to make a quick, easy and elegant connection between your Dante network (which already has 64 channels of digital audio on it) and your computer...you have to start racking up tonnes of HD I/O, Madi I/O,  or Focusrite Red Net interfaces and basically convert from one Dante stream to another, or from Dante to Madi to get into Protools.

My quest was to find a way to record all 64 channels on my CL5 straight into Protools without having to roll out a rack of HD I/Os etc... I think, instead of buying a Protools HD Native system with the Omni I/O (and really, even a full HDx system with multiple HD I/Os and Avid Pres STILL wouldn't do what I want it to), I'm just going to get a Sound Devices 970 Dante recorder and then import into Protools non-HD in post. A royal PITA, but this is the way Avid wants it.

Sheldon Radford, if you are reading this thread, take note: Avid just lost a sale because of your arbitrary track limitations.
Never used Dante to do this but have used MADI  interfaces along with Reaper which can record onto your Mac hard drive then open the folder with the wavs in it from Protools and off you go. Reaper can be an ugly thing to mix on but as a fuss free means of getting multi-track audio into a computer it's hard to beat, I have a copy on a pen drive in both Mac and PC flavours along with install files for various interface drivers so I can use any free computer if my laptop dies or won't hack the load, that and a decent portable hard drive to keep the data on afterwards has served me well for a few years now.G

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 12:04:47 AM »

Yes. And this is what I currently do: Protools 11 with Dante Virtual Sound Card. However, Protools vanilla/non-HD/ex-LE (or whatever they are calling it this week) will only allow up to 32 simultaneous inputs. It will mix up to 96 in post, but you are limited to only 32 input channels...

Thanks Justice for the education.

Seems like a poorly crafted arbitrary limitation by the marketing department.  Perhaps an anti-pirating decision (aka the HD interface acts as hardware dongle).

Joe Co or Sound Devices is probably a better solution, I just wish they weren't so expensive.  If Dante keeps up its momentum someone will release a less expensive dedicated recorder.
Mark McFarlane

Kieran Walsh

• Audinate
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 07:03:31 AM »

So for clarity,

Focusrite have the Rednet 5 interface which is not a card, but takes Dante from and to the network, and appears to Protools like a Protools interface... this hardware solution, and not the PCIe card is how you get around the 64 channel limit (you will also get a better latency performance too)

For balance DAD also make this available on their AX32
Senior Technical Solutions Manager, Audinate EMEA.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »

So for clarity,

Focusrite have the Rednet 5 interface which is not a card, but takes Dante from and to the network, and appears to Protools like a Protools interface... this hardware solution, and not the PCIe card is how you get around the 64 channel limit (you will also get a better latency performance too)

For balance DAD also make this available on their AX32

Thanks for the heads up on the DAD box. I have been investigating the Rednet 5. I may still go with the Sound Devices unit just to bite my thumb at Avid.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 09:01:30 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.