ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New top speaker options - JBL vs DB Tech vs Peavey  (Read 4612 times)

Dave Roy

New top speaker options - JBL vs DB Tech vs Peavey
« on: June 10, 2014, 06:41:33 AM »

My current sound rig for larger events consists of:
-2x Wharfedale Pro DLX-218B Subs (Powered by Crown XLS 5000)
-2x JBL JRX 125 (Powered by Peavey PV2600)
-DBX Driverack PX
-Xone-22 mixer (I usually let DJ's plug directly into this) or A&H MixWiz3 16:2

After my time here on this forum and the advice I've read, I've realised that my ears aren't lying and the JRX 125's really do sound very harsh - I think it's time to upgrade. My regular use is DJ's/bands for up 150 people, but am looking at running some larger events and would like to upgrade to a rig which could cope with a maximum of 400-500 people.

I won't be able to afford brand new gear, so am looking for used. Some options include:
-Peavey impulse 12D
-JBL PRX 712

There is also a listing for a complete DB Technologies rig including 2x 602 12D tops + 2x 402D tops + 4x 800 15D subs. I haven't been able to find a huge amount of info about DB Technologies gear online so any feedback would be great.

If I go ahead and upgrade to the Impulse or PRX's, how many people would these cover with the Wharfedale subs?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks for your help in advance.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
Re: New top speaker options - JBL vs DB Tech vs Peavey
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:55:26 AM »

run what you have until you can afford the PRX, KW or Art700 stuff. 
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Jon C Thomas

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »

My current sound rig for larger events consists of:
-2x Wharfedale Pro DLX-218B Subs (Powered by Crown XLS 5000)
-2x JBL JRX 125 (Powered by Peavey PV2600)
-DBX Driverack PX
-Xone-22 mixer (I usually let DJ's plug directly into this) or A&H MixWiz3 16:2

After my time here on this forum and the advice I've read, I've realised that my ears aren't lying and the JRX 125's really do sound very harsh - I think it's time to upgrade. My regular use is DJ's/bands for up 150 people, but am looking at running some larger events and would like to upgrade to a rig which could cope with a maximum of 400-500 people.

I won't be able to afford brand new gear, so am looking for used. Some options include:
-Peavey impulse 12D
-JBL PRX 712

There is also a listing for a complete DB Technologies rig including 2x 602 12D tops + 2x 402D tops + 4x 800 15D subs. I haven't been able to find a huge amount of info about DB Technologies gear online so any feedback would be great.

If I go ahead and upgrade to the Impulse or PRX's, how many people would these cover with the Wharfedale subs?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks for your help in advance.

Yamaha DSR's would be a good upgrade from the JRX's.  A set of compact subs would be handy when you don't want to move the 170lb. 2X18"ers.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »

I'd take the JBL PRX over the Peavey impulse any day.  The PRX may not get quite as loud as the JRX's you have, but they will sound a heck of a lot better.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.