ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drum sub snake XLR grounding  (Read 2195 times)

sam saponaro

Drum sub snake XLR grounding
« on: June 06, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »

I just built a small little 6 ch drum snake to make setup a little easier.Got 30ft Rapco snake wire and Switchcraft XLR ends.Did a short fan on male end.Did a 10ft fan on the mic end and zip tied the toms lines together and then snare/hat lines together to prevent tangle.6" heatshrink strain reliefs on all ends. Come out pretty nice for a musician sitting at the kitchen table.
Anyways I got it all done but not sure if I should ground the barrels of the XLR jacks to shield?? If I should do I need to do both ends or just the mic ends as the other end(male fan) would ground the barrel through the main snake?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 07:38:38 PM by sam saponaro »

John Penkala

Re: Drum sub snake XLR grounding
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 07:48:28 PM »

I just built a small little 6 ch drum snake to make setup a little easier.Got 30ft Rapco snake wire and Switchcraft XLR ends.Did a short fan on male end.Did a 10ft fan on the mic end and zip tied the toms lines together and then snare/hat lines together to prevent tangle.6" heatshrink strain reliefs on all ends. Come out pretty nice for a musician sitting at the kitchen table.
Anyways I got it all done but not sure if I should ground the barrels of the XLR jacks to shield?? If I should do I need to do both ends or just the mic ends as the other end(male fan) would ground the barrel through the main snake?

I would attach the shield to pin1 not to the shell of the connector. But that's just me.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 08:13:51 PM »

Do NOT bond the XLR shell to pin 1/ground.  You will create problems you've yet to experience.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

sam saponaro

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 09:06:52 PM »

Do NOT bond the XLR shell to pin 1/ground.You will create problems you've yet to experience.
OK sounds like a plan.
 8)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 01:36:09 AM »

and zip tied the toms lines together and then snare/hat lines together to prevent tangle

Remove the ties and use tape - your hands will thank you at packing up time.

Generally, the outer shell connection is left not connected.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 01:36:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.