ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Driverack PX  (Read 9085 times)

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
Driverack PX
« on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:53 PM »

Hello all. I did a search, but no joy.

I'm looking at the Driverack PX

http://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/driverack-px

for our little PA, and while all the ads say it's for powered speakers, I've read elsewhere that it will work with passives as well. I just wanted to check with you guys first.

Seems it should work, since the mixer/DR/amp/speakers are basically the same as mixer/DR/Powered speakers. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Bob

Lyle Williams

Re: Driverack PX
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »

Yes that is correct.  I have a DRPX and I use it with passives and amps.

I do find the DRPX user interface a little too scary for live use.  The DRPX also doesn't have any delay function for aligning subs with tops.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:28:44 PM »

Hello all. I did a search, but no joy.

I'm looking at the Driverack PX

http://dbxpro.com/en-US/products/driverack-px

for our little PA, and while all the ads say it's for powered speakers, I've read elsewhere that it will work with passives as well. I just wanted to check with you guys first.

Seems it should work, since the mixer/DR/amp/speakers are basically the same as mixer/DR/Powered speakers. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Bob

What do you need such a unit to do?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:31:55 PM »

You are correct in that all DRs are essentially the same when it comes to outputs. Whether you plug it into a amp or directly to your powered boxes makes no difference.

That being said, for a bit more dosh you can get a better DR unit on the used market and get a lot more functionality to boot. The PX will only give you a high/low split in regards to your x-over and PEQ settings and doesn't have the time delay feature the rest of the lineup has.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 03:36:05 PM »

Thanks for responding guys. I'm only running a QSC PLX1804 to some Yammy 4115's - no subs. I would just like to have it to simplify things. It takes me forever to ring out my mains and monitors (Peavey PR-12's), and we usually don't have the luxury of a proper sound check. I'm also interested in the feedback suppression. I run sound from the stage, and I hate tweaking while we're playing.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »

Bob -

I am in a similar situation as you - running sound from the side of the stage while playing guitar. I bought a DR PA to try to do exactly what you are planning to do with it. On paper it seems like a great idea - I even bought the RTA mic to use to EQ the mains ahead of the show.

What I found was that for our live shows, it didn't help and the interface was impossible to use in combat audio situations. The feedback suppression didn't really work that well across the main buss. I ended up selling it after 2 gigs.

I bought a Yamaha 01v digital mixer used, and that has helped tremendously with parametric EQ on every input, output and monitor mix. I've gotten used to the interface and can dial in and notch EQ problems quickly. For $350 (including getting the ground issue fixed) it was a great investment.

I think you'd be better with a good 31-band graphic EQ for combat audio; Peavey and ART have ones that include LED's that light up offending frequencies, so that you can see what bands to pull down. 1 for mains and 1 for monitors, and you've got a very tactile solution that you can affect instantly while playing.

Of course, speaker placement and mic technique do wonders, but sometimes you can't control all aspects of the gig, the venue, or other bandmates…

Good luck, hope this helps.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 04:00:02 PM »

One would think so.  The owner's manual totally avoids the topic, as if no one on the planet would be tempted to try it.  Surely they could've at least tossed in a sentence or two on what functions (wizards?), if any, are lost by having a separate amp in the signal chain.

Having NOT used the product, my only other contribution to the topic is this:  I don't know deal you're pondering, but Full Compass and AMS are blowing them out for US$149.95, w/ free shipping to the Lower 48.   The other usual online sources still seem to be at $299.99.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/352456.html

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-DBX-DRPX-LIST
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:33:40 PM »

Bob -

I am in a similar situation as you - running sound from the side of the stage while playing guitar. I bought a DR PA to try to do exactly what you are planning to do with it. On paper it seems like a great idea - I even bought the RTA mic to use to EQ the mains ahead of the show.

What I found was that for our live shows, it didn't help and the interface was impossible to use in combat audio situations. The feedback suppression didn't really work that well across the main buss. I ended up selling it after 2 gigs.

I bought a Yamaha 01v digital mixer used, and that has helped tremendously with parametric EQ on every input, output and monitor mix. I've gotten used to the interface and can dial in and notch EQ problems quickly. For $350 (including getting the ground issue fixed) it was a great investment.

I think you'd be better with a good 31-band graphic EQ for combat audio; Peavey and ART have ones that include LED's that light up offending frequencies, so that you can see what bands to pull down. 1 for mains and 1 for monitors, and you've got a very tactile solution that you can affect instantly while playing.

Of course, speaker placement and mic technique do wonders, but sometimes you can't control all aspects of the gig, the venue, or other bandmates…

Good luck, hope this helps.

Thanks Ned. I already have a dBx 31 band GEQ.  I use one side for mains, the other for monitors, so maybe I'll just stick with that. I really love my little Soundcraft EFX8 mixer too. I'm afraid I'm too tech challenged to operate a digital mixer. ;D

Most of the places we play don't require wicked volumes, quite the contrary.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 05:05:27 PM »

I will repeat Dick's question - what do you want it to do?  It is designed for powered speakers so it does not have a crossover and you already have an EQ.  What do you expect the Driverack PX to accomplish for you?

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »

Thanks Ned. I already have a dBx 31 band GEQ.  I use one side for mains, the other for monitors, so maybe I'll just stick with that. I really love my little Soundcraft EFX8 mixer too. I'm afraid I'm too tech challenged to operate a digital mixer. ;D

Most of the places we play don't require wicked volumes, quite the contrary.

Yep, and for that, I don't think you'll get a better result with the drive rack. Even if you let it run its auto-EQ function before the show, it's in an empty room; by the time people show up, the room has changed. It also only measures from one point.

It took me a few shows to get used to the digital Mixer (I had Mackies before) but it works for me now and I really appreciate the parametric EQs - that's helped to clean up a lot.

Forgot to mention - even though our mixer has 12 mic pre's, I subscribe to the KISS principle and only mic our vocals and reinforce the keyboard player's amp. Having minimal inputs has helped mixing on the side while playing dramatically.

On feedback issues, are you having those in the mains or monitors, or both?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.