ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Musicians Friend dropping Behringer.  (Read 27749 times)

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Re: Musicians Friend dropping Behringer.
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2014, 11:07:21 PM »

I do like GC and MF for many items.

Musician's Friend was a blessing to this GI stationed in Korea many years ago - FAST shipment of much-needed gear to my APO address.
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

JimStockton88

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 12:13:27 PM »

So I also had some Behringer PA gear on backorder that ended up getting canceled. I Tweeted my displeasure and was contacted almost immediately by Musician's Friend asking to send details to them so they could help out. I reluctantly did so but I'm THRILLED that I did. :) :) :) They hooked me up with ALTO speakers and a Yamaha mixer for the same price I was going to spend on the Behringer gear.

The second I played through my new PA, I decided I don't want to buy the junk from the bottom anymore. Not if a place like mf is willing to work out pricing like they did. I was both taken care of, and taught a lesson about gear in one foul swoop!!! :)

I'll post the email I was told to send the details to when I find it in case there are others out there that had their orders canceled due to this whole thing with Behringer. It's worth sending them an email!!!

JimStockton88

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 12:17:43 PM »

So I also had some Behringer PA gear on backorder that ended up getting canceled. I Tweeted my displeasure and was contacted almost immediately by Musician's Friend asking to send details to them so they could help out. I reluctantly did so but I'm THRILLED that I did. :) :) :) They hooked me up with ALTO speakers and a Yamaha mixer for the same price I was going to spend on the Behringer gear.

The second I played through my new PA, I decided I don't want to buy the junk from the bottom anymore. Not if a place like mf is willing to work out pricing like they did. I was both taken care of, and taught a lesson about gear in one foul swoop!!! :)

I'll post the email I was told to send the details to when I find it in case there are others out there that had their orders canceled due to this whole thing with Behringer. It's worth sending them an email!!!
Of course I find it seconds after I clicked 'post'!!! lol
The email was: [email protected]

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »

I was the last Live Sound Buyer at Musician's Friend from 2009-2011 before all Musician's Friend functions were moved to the GC headquarters in LA and the company ceased to exist as a separate entity. All of the problems between Behringer and GC/MF began in 2009-2010 when Behringer chose to close their warehouses in the US so Behringer would have no US tax presence. This forced us to start buying container-direct only and only one large order could be placed once a month. Behringer continued for almost two years to give us inaccurate PO information, change our costs (even in transit), and discontinue products with no warning which we were advertising which lead to huge backorders and customer dissatisfaction. At that time GC chose to drop most of their significant business with Behringer and switch to Alto; I chose to de-emphasize their products and focus more on other brands. Credit hold is common in MI since large purchase orders cause it automatically. Sure, Guitar Center is having their issues but you can be assured that Behringer caused this and GC has tried to make this relationship work for too long.

Thanks for the inside perspective on this... I figured it was more complicated than the dueling spin jobs.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 08:03:15 PM »

This is really no different to the commercial issues behind a packet of biscuits on a supermarket shelf.

Every party is trying to maximise profit.  Sometimes they agree on commercial terms and sometimes they don't.  Then that brand of biscuits isn't in that supermarket anymore. 

I'm not a paid Behringer appologist by any stretch of the imagination.  I have found their gear to be entirely adequate at the bottom end of the market.  Competitive at the price point.  That said, little in the Behringer line is irreplaceable.  There are other economical vendors.  Mostly this gear is commodity items with standard functionality.

When the brand of biscuits I planned to buy isn't in the supermarket, I just buy something else (or shop somewhere else.)

The sky isn't falling, GC/MF doesn't appear to be even vaguely broke, The current owners just paid more than they should have. That's a problem for the current owners really.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2014, 11:00:10 PM »

I like biscuits too, and I'll eat any brand as long as they taste good. Great analogy Lyle.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 03:02:52 AM »

I like biscuits too, and I'll eat any brand as long as they taste good. Great analogy Lyle.

Powdermilk Biscuits?

Lyle's analogy applies to everything that has been commoditized, including sound companies.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 08:40:21 AM »

Yes, powdermilk biscuits also. If I went to the bakery and they were selling hand made fresh biscuits on sale for less than I could get out of the box everyday biscuits I would buy them. I might even go back to the bakery hoping those biscuits are still on sale, however, if they weren't I would buy some anyway because the last biscuits I bought were made with pride and fresh more costly ingredients. Then I might decide the wonderful taste is worth the extra cost and start buying all of my biscuits from that baker.

Eventually I would try some of the bakers other delights and spend more money eventually realizing the baker took pride in his work, always used the best ingredients he could afford while still making a profit. Pretty soon I'm buying cakes and pies for special occasions, every time paying a reasonable, but not the lowest price for bakery goods properly made and tasty.

Not to much later a bakery opens across the street and I see a sign that says " our biscuits are just as good and for half the price. I stop into the bakery and buy this weeks biscuits and as advertised, they are half the price and just as good. I stop again and the price is still lower, they don't taste as good anymore, and the girl behind the counter is a bitch. I only have enough money on me to buy those not as good on sale biscuits so I buy them. I get home, eat the biscuits and my tummy is full. Soon after I develop a tummy ache and vow to never go back, and I don't, making a promise to myself that I'll make sure I have enough money with me before I go out to buy biscuits from the more expensive bakery in the future.

Later that month a third bakery opens with a giant sign saying " Our biscuits are the best in the west, and cost less than the rest." I'm on my way to the more costly bakery but stop into the third bakery anyway. I can see the baker kicking his Beeranger mixer to keep it mixing the ingredients for the biscuits, and I can see that the biscuits coming out of the oven don't look as good as the other two bakery's biscuits. I can also see the ingredients aren't fresh, are mostly frozen, and imported from China. I ask the counter girl for a taste before I buy, and with an attitude she reluctantly agrees. They taste OK, but I wouldn't feed them to my family who deserved better, plus the attitude has turned me off and I decide to leave. Louigi the baker comes out of nowhere and now tells me I have to pay for the biscuit. I tell him what the girl at the counter said and he doesn't care so I pay him just to get him out of my face. Then he crosses a line and tells me "Buy your biscuits here or I'll fuck with your family. Enough is enough so I punch him in the head, leave and walk over to the first bakery knowing I'll receive a good product, will be buying from professionals, and will be working with good people with good attitudes, and don't have to worry about the quality of the ingredients. Two weeks later Louigi's bakery is closed. It turns out he couldn't raise enough dough so he went on the loaf.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 09:29:49 AM »

This is really no different to the commercial issues behind a packet of biscuits on a supermarket shelf.

Every party is trying to maximise profit.  Sometimes they agree on commercial terms and sometimes they don't.  Then that brand of biscuits isn't in that supermarket anymore. 

I'm not a paid Behringer appologist by any stretch of the imagination.  I have found their gear to be entirely adequate at the bottom end of the market.  Competitive at the price point.  That said, little in the Behringer line is irreplaceable.  There are other economical vendors.  Mostly this gear is commodity items with standard functionality.

When the brand of biscuits I planned to buy isn't in the supermarket, I just buy something else (or shop somewhere else.)

The sky isn't falling, GC/MF doesn't appear to be even vaguely broke, The current owners just paid more than they should have. That's a problem for the current owners really.

And biscuits are only one of the many thousands of items found at your local super market/GC.

I'll bet GC has more dollars tied up with, let's say, Fender and Gibson than Berhringer. Just a fly on a buffalo butt.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:32:12 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Scott Bolt

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »

As JR pointed out, it is certainly true that Behringer is in a stronger position than GC/MF.

If Behringer did not have a lopsided contract, then they negotiated very poorly indeed.

I have purchased lots of gear from GC over the years.  I still drop by about every month or so to see if anything cool has shown up to look at.

Having said that, I also used to buy lots of things at Boarders books.

I think it is a safe bet that Behringer will be around much longer than GC will.

On the flip side, killing off the relationship would only make any sense at all for Behringer if they weren't getting paid.... unless Behringer makes business decisions based on emotion vs profit.

I suspect that GC sold quite a few X32's and other Behringer gear.

I would say that Alto does appear to have a better budget speaker brand than Behringer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.