ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yesterday 80's party - PRX718/SRX718 and ipad mixing  (Read 7260 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Yesterday 80's party - PRX718/SRX718 and ipad mixing
« on: June 08, 2014, 06:27:23 PM »

Ran sound yesterday for 2 bands for a local bar who holds 80's costume party each year in the parking lot out back. I did it last year too.
It was a good chance to be able to use my SRX718's and my PRX718 as aux sub.
Last year with my mixwiz I had to run my snake across a grassed area where people were sitting and across the parking lot to my position.  This year with my QU16, I could mix with my ipad.
I got there at 1.00pm and was sound checking first band by 3.00pm for start time 4.00pm. Both bands were sharing the stage and drum kit which helped.  I tried the PRX718 with the other 2 subs but got some phase cancellation. I reversed the polarity and VOILA !! played nicely - note to anyone needing to know that.

OK....first band played - great sound.  Band finished at 6.00pm.......Quick switcheroo and 2nd band sound checked ready for 7.00pm start.
2nd band goes on - sounds great (apart form the lead singer constantly cupping the mic and causing feedback). Then a short break with some costume tom foolery.....and back on with the band.
About 25 minutes before the end (10 PM) , I get the 10% remaining message on my ipad. It was fully charged before I started and I have never used more than about 50% on any gig before. Then I realized I had been there all day and I had had the ipad on since I checked the router at around 2.00pm. I'd never had it on that long before. Problem was, the mixer was behind the FOH speakers and it was too late to do anything about that. Fortunately the band had good levels  and I didn't have to adjust very much once they were up and running so I gave the ipad a quick 10 minute charge at the mixer and kept my ears on the levels for that time - grabbed the ipad and did the rest of the evening on 15%. On reflection, it probably would have lasted till the end but I panicked and ran to the mixer and was charging the ipad before I thought about that.
At the end of the night the owner asked us to do every special event he has. Hubby and I had 4 or 5 people comment on how good the sound was and the musicians said the same about the stage sound. Made me feel very proud. It was very hard work in the hot sun (had my canopy set up in the crowd)- first to arrive, last to leave by miles - as usual ...but so rewarding.....

I leave this comment to 1) let you know the  PRX does play nicely with the SRX's. I coupled the SRX718's on one side of the stage with one SRX715 on top  and on the other side I put the other SRX715 on a pole above the PRX718. This kept the subs well apart from each other as per the advice I have received here.
And 2) Please be reminded that when using an ipad for an extended show time, an ipad charge doesn't last all day !!!

Ooh...one more thing...I got the best drum sound - thanks to comments here, Audix and Dick Rees....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Yesterday 80's party - PRX718/SRX718 and ipad mixing
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 06:54:51 PM »

Ran sound yesterday for 2 bands for a local bar who holds 80's costume party each year in the parking lot out back. I did it last year too.
It was a good chance to be able to use my SRX718's and my PRX718 as aux sub.
Last year with my mixwiz I had to run my snake across a grassed area where people were sitting and across the parking lot to my position.  This year with my QU16, I could mix with my ipad.
I got there at 1.00pm and was sound checking first band by 3.00pm for start time 4.00pm. Both bands were sharing the stage and drum kit which helped.  I tried the PRX718 with the other 2 subs but got some phase cancellation. I reversed the polarity and VOILA !! played nicely - note to anyone needing to know that.

OK....first band played - great sound.  Band finished at 6.00pm.......Quick switcheroo and 2nd band sound checked ready for 7.00pm start.
2nd band goes on - sounds great (apart form the lead singer constantly cupping the mic and causing feedback). Then a short break with some costume tom foolery.....and back on with the band.
About 25 minutes before the end (10 PM) , I get the 10% remaining message on my ipad. It was fully charged before I started and I have never used more than about 50% on any gig before. Then I realized I had been there all day and I had had the ipad on since I checked the router at around 2.00pm. I'd never had it on that long before. Problem was, the mixer was behind the FOH speakers and it was too late to do anything about that. Fortunately the band had good levels  and I didn't have to adjust very much once they were up and running so I gave the ipad a quick 10 minute charge at the mixer and kept my ears on the levels for that time - grabbed the ipad and did the rest of the evening on 15%. On reflection, it probably would have lasted till the end but I panicked and ran to the mixer and was charging the ipad before I thought about that.
At the end of the night the owner asked us to do every special event he has. Hubby and I had 4 or 5 people comment on how good the sound was and the musicians said the same about the stage sound. Made me feel very proud. It was very hard work in the hot sun (had my canopy set up in the crowd)- first to arrive, last to leave by miles - as usual ...but so rewarding.....

I leave this comment to 1) let you know the  PRX does play nicely with the SRX's. I coupled the SRX718's on one side of the stage with one SRX715 on top  and on the other side I put the other SRX715 on a pole above the PRX718. This kept the subs well apart from each other as per the advice I have received here.
And 2) Please be reminded that when using an ipad for an extended show time, an ipad charge doesn't last all day !!!

Ooh...one more thing...I got the best drum sound - thanks to comments here, Audix and Dick Rees....

I'm blushing a bit...

I got a $20 cover/case for my iPad.  When I flip it closed, it goes off battery and comes on instantly upon opening.  Re-connecting with the iPad takes just a second as the iPad stays connected to my network.  This means a charge will last a LOT longer.

I'll see if I can look up the brand and model of the case.

DR

Edit:

Cirago iPad cover anti-slip finish

I did a job starting at 8AM finishing at 3PM, started with 93% charge and finished with about 53% by flipping the cover closed whenever I didn't need the screen on.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:33:55 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 07:36:21 PM »

I have a USB charger in my doghouse with various cables attached.
Whenever I am at the desk working, on the stage, I plug in the iPad. That way I don't have to worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 09:37:22 PM »

I'm blushing a bit...

I got a $20 cover/case for my iPad.  When I flip it closed, it goes off battery and comes on instantly upon opening.  Re-connecting with the iPad takes just a second as the iPad stays connected to my network.  This means a charge will last a LOT longer.

I'll see if I can look up the brand and model of the case.

DR

Edit:

Cirago iPad cover anti-slip finish

I did a job starting at 8AM finishing at 3PM, started with 93% charge and finished with about 53% by flipping the cover closed whenever I didn't need the screen on.

There you go ...DUH !!!
Fanx mate !
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 09:38:14 PM »

I have a USB charger in my doghouse with various cables attached.
Whenever I am at the desk working, on the stage, I plug in the iPad. That way I don't have to worry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
And another winner ......geez.... I feel really thtupid now !!

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 11:13:45 PM »

And another winner ......geez.... I feel really thtupid now !!

Or carry a backup battery, plug it in top the iPad if you get caught w/ an almost dead battery
(now you're carrying an iPad, battery, and cable, but when it's that or nothing....!)

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Generation-Smartphones-Warranty-APB27US/dp/B005MR5GCI

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »

Or carry a backup battery, plug it in top the iPad if you get caught w/ an almost dead battery
(now you're carrying an iPad, battery, and cable, but when it's that or nothing....!)

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Generation-Smartphones-Warranty-APB27US/dp/B005MR5GCI

I gots lots of options it would seem......

I never really thought about back up in any way because the battery life on the ipad is so much better than everything else I own and I never considered needing anything to help extend the battery life.....
well....that was my first mistake !!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »

BTW...the mic that the singer kept 'cupping' looked like this.....

I mocked this up - pretty accurately- because I don't actually have a shot of the actual mic. It was a really old battered SM58 with electrical tape holding the XLR cable to the body of the mic and the cable loop was sticking out over the ball of the mic.  He wanted to use his own mic even though I had offered my mics for the band's use so it must have sentimental value or something . The other musicians used mine.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 11:34:19 PM »

Mics setups like this are typically used when the performer likes to swing the mic around by the cable. You will want them to use their own mic. It's pretty sweet when they swing your mic around like this... Then let go... So the mic flies 30 ft in the air, and slams grill first into the deck.  Oh then they come over to the monitor guy and ask for another mic.... The monitor guy just laughed at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:50 AM »

Mics setups like this are typically used when the performer likes to swing the mic around by the cable. You will want them to use their own mic. It's pretty sweet when they swing your mic around like this... Then let go... So the mic flies 30 ft in the air, and slams grill first into the deck.  Oh then they come over to the monitor guy and ask for another mic.... The monitor guy just laughed at him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah but this guy never even took the mic off the stand - he played guitar on almost every song and when he wasn't playing, he kept the guitar on and cupped the mic on the stand causing feedback!!
But you're right, I would much rather someone use their own mic if there is even a chance they will throw it around ...who knows what he does at other shows ???

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:50 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.