ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Very heavy wireless use example  (Read 16315 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Very heavy wireless use example
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »

This is the spectrum at the CMT 2014 awards.  We are at the point that almost no more frequencies can be added, even if we dont check intermod.  The coord is separated into 7 zones.  We have 26 BTR systems!  Show has 352 freqs with 156 just for Comms.   This covers the main show and 3 performance areas outside.  Jeff Briggette did the coordination and has the scars to prove it.  Good job.  I am on the outside stages.

Please RAD, hurry up with your  UV-1G!

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:43:16 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Neil White

Re: Very heavy wireless use example
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:58:08 PM »

Show has 352 freqs with 156 just for Comms.

That is some pretty intense spectrum usage.

How far out did coordination start? I would think it was important to make sure that equipment that arrived on site was in appropriate band splits. Are there multiple vendors involved in supplying the RF systems?

Neil

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 04:11:30 PM »

This is the spectrum at the CMT 2014 awards.  We are at the point that almost no more frequencies can be added, even if we dont check intermod.  The coord is separated into 7 zones.  We have 26 BTR systems!  Show has 352 freqs with 156 just for Comms.   This covers the main show and 3 performance areas outside.  Jeff Briggette did the coordination and has the scars to prove it.  Good job.  I am on the outside stages.

Hurry up with that gear, I need it for my show! There is nothing in the shop here in Nashville.

Mac

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »

How far out did coordination start? I would think it was important to make sure that equipment that arrived on site was in appropriate band splits. Are there multiple vendors involved in supplying the RF systems?

A site scan helps to establish a band plan.  As far as coordination goes, it's never too soon.  As it was some users showed up on site uncoordinated and were done on the fly.  Most of the shop equipment is done in time to have it programmed in the shop.

Main performing bands for the most part send in their needs early but sometimes not without prodding.

The wide area of our sites allowed the Main inside stage to coordinate with the adjacent Plaza stage and Red Carpet. The Plaza Stage then also coordinates with the stage 300' down the street which is not coordinated with the inside show or the Red carpet on the far side of the arena.

BTR's are coordinated to work everywhere.  The Plaza Stage uses multiple RX/TX antennas to distribute coverage to the Far stage and the Main Inside BTR system also distributes antenna comms to cover Dressing and loading dock areas.

The Inside Performance ares has a 3 node Riedel (FOH, Back stage, main TV truck) and a 4th Node is located by me outside on the Plaza Stage.  This 4th Node also connects to the Outside TV production truck as well as C3 Beltpacks and the 5 BTR systems here.

The Riedel system is programmed by Michael Garth and I do a little local programming at the Plaza stage.

Extreme care must be taken when there are multiple Artist programmers.  We always get a fresh copy and then inform each other that the local copy should be refreshed.  Total over write function is turned off - only send changes enabled.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Neil White

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:16:07 AM »

BTR's are coordinated to work everywhere.  The Plaza Stage uses multiple RX/TX antennas to distribute coverage to the Far stage and the Main Inside BTR system also distributes antenna comms to cover Dressing and loading dock areas.

Are you using RF over fiber for the remote antennas? I assume none of the 2.4ghz wireless comms systems were an option because of the quantity of belt packs and wide area coverage required?

Extreme care must be taken when there are multiple Artist programmers.  We always get a fresh copy and then inform each other that the local copy should be refreshed.  Total over write function is turned off - only send changes enabled.

Do you both have full access to all the nodes on the system? Is it easiest for one user to do the bulk of the initial system configuration such as adding ports and creating conferences? Are you using the latest version of Director? The snapshot feature to record key states and levels that they added in 6.7 looks useful.

Neil

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 03:03:16 AM »

Pete, it was good to meet you, and glad you were on the outdoor stages to help us out.

- Tony Williams

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 10:40:13 AM »

Hey Pete

What's the bandwidth of your graph?
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 02:06:27 PM »

Pete, why was (what I'm guessing is) channel 42 open, but not filled with freqs?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 03:35:56 PM »

Hey Pete

The pink band in the middle is ch37 which is 6MHz wide. It looks like probably ch14 - ch50, or about 450MHz - 700MHz.

Mac

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:39:36 PM »

channel 14 to 51.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 04:39:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.