ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Very heavy wireless use example  (Read 16309 times)

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Re: Very heavy wireless use example
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »

Pete, why was (what I'm guessing is) channel 42 open, but not filled with freqs?

Initially it was listed as DTV which it is but as you can see it's weak.  After the initial coord by Jeff, I came to do the outside stages and pointed out that it probably is way too week to affect inside RF and we unlisted it as DTV.  In the end I even put a few mics there even though the dtv noise floor was about -70.  Not ideal but when the TX is less than 20 feet to the antenna OK.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
Very heavy wireless use example
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 04:57:58 PM »

Are you using RF over fiber for the remote antennas? I assume none of the 2.4ghz wireless comms systems were an option because of the quantity of belt packs and wide area coverage required?

no, the show has always been done with coax remote antennas, not excessively long runs.  No budget or necessity for RFoF.   The main stage had a Shure US874 RX and 1-Senn A1031 TX antennas on 25' cables located at FOH.  A 2nd RX was located 150' at DSR for RX to get a little better beltpack reliability.  The remote stage had Shure US874 and Senn A2003 TX.  The TX antennas were all at about 20'.  RX antennas about 9'.  The outdoor remote stages were 250' runs.

Do you both have full access to all the nodes on the system? Is it easiest for one user to do the bulk of the initial system configuration such as adding ports and creating conferences? Are you using the latest version of Director? The snapshot feature to record key states and levels that they added in 6.7 looks useful.

We didn't bother segregating the access permissions.  All the initial programming was done by Gaff.  I came to the show after the main stage was up and rehearsing and then we shared by letting each other know when we were editing and sending changes.

Dir 6.7 state recall is of questionable use.  Can't quite think of when I would need it.

Another feature which is more interesting is that you can select what happens when you wake up an 1100 OLED panel.  Previously the action was done as well as waking up the panel.  Now you can specify that the first action only wakes the panel up.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:04:35 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »

In the end I even put a few mics there even though the dtv noise floor was about -70.  Not ideal but when the TX is less than 20 feet to the antenna OK.

What's your opinion on hiding frequencies in a low power DTV channel? Only when necessary, of course, but what is the threshold strength you don't like to cross?

I'm fond of sticking the last minute ENG crews on low level DTV stations.

Ross Goldman (2)

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »

Hi Pete,

Thank you for sharing. Do you know what spectrum analyzer was used to generate the CSV file graphed in your screenshot?

Thanks,
Ross

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 10:30:26 PM »

Hi Pete,

Thank you for sharing. Do you know what spectrum analyzer was used to generate the CSV file graphed in your screenshot?

Thanks,
Ross

Pete has an R&S, but that looks like the output from a TTi. I know there was also a TTi onsite.

Hey Pete, the racks are already broken down and rebuilt into 2 sets of 8 BTRs for my show.

Mac

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 02:31:57 AM »

Pete has an R&S, but that looks like the output from a TTi.
Mac

For those curious, any spectrum analyzer that can generate a CSV file can be imported to IAS and displayed on the IMD graph. Off the top of my head that includes the TTi, RF Explorer, and WWB scans.

Ross Goldman (2)

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »

For those curious, any spectrum analyzer that can generate a CSV file can be imported to IAS and displayed on the IMD graph. Off the top of my head that includes the TTi, RF Explorer, and WWB scans.

The scan looks like a much finer RBW than I'm used to seeing from a TTi PSA1301T. The highest resolution I can get out of the 1301 is 15 kHz, which when imported into IAS, kind of looks like an Etch-a-sketch compared to the original post. (See attachment.) That being said, if I zoom in on the TTi, I can see more resolution on the TTi screen than on the imported IAS curve.

Looks like the newer, high-end PSA series 5 supports up to 300Hz RBW, though I can't find any for sale in the US, only the series 2.

I've gotten a much finer RBW out of an RF Explorer CSV output, but I've had some reliability issues that make me hesitant to use it when I've got the TTi on hand.

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »

Ross, I'm assuming that your Etch-a-sketch trace was taken as a single csv with a bandwidth of ~250MHz? What I, and I assume Jeff and Pete do is take multiple traces of a much smaller bandwidth throughout the spectrum. My personal preference is 12MHz at 15kHz RBW. This usually leaves me with 20 individual CSV files that IAS can essentially compile for you if you import them all at the same time. Fantastic resolution when zooming in to find specific freqs in a venue.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 05:39:36 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but when exporting a trace from a TTi the resolution is dictated by what is currently shown on the screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Ross Goldman (2)

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 02:25:26 AM »

Cameron and David, thanks for the tip on multiple exports with smaller bandwidths. Will try that next time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 02:25:26 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.