ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DSLR camera  (Read 10751 times)

Conrad Muzoora

• Mbarara, Uganda. www.koolinvestments.co.ug
    • Kool Events Uganda
DSLR camera
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 12:31:39 AM »

The graininess was addressed in the 3200 with the upgrade to 24 mega pixels.

So I too have had a photo bug for a while, I have used canon entry level rebel Xs, T1i T2i, T3i etc. My photography only turned around when I took up a Nikon D300. Now the D300 is only 12mega pix where as the canon T1i is 15 but the d300 shots will kill the t1i any day.   In cameras it's not all about the megapixel there is a lot more. The Nikon D90, D200, d300 will all outperform the D3200 especially in low light, focus, and color. If you want to go even further try the D700! And all these models are only 12megapix! They however don't do video! The grain is equivalent to noise in the audio world, cameras with bigger sensors are going to have less "signal to noise ratio". Most entry level cameras will have noticeable grain at ISO of 600 up. Fortunately, you can learn to set the gain structure just like in sound, but there is always a tradeoff. Have fun
Conrad
www.kooleventug.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:59:03 AM by Conrad Muzoora »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: DSLR camera
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 02:01:14 PM »

Conrad,

Anyone can have anything they want. All it takes is money. If I were in the market and made my living as a professional photographer then I would own a D4S, but I don't so I won't. I'll have to say that the more I use the 3200 the more I like it as an everyday go to camera.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 04:04:25 PM »

You bought a great camera so enjoy it as much as you can.

Just one thing, you can't fix graininess with upping the pixel number of the sensor, you're just dividing the same amount of light to smaller sized pixels so theoretically you should have more graininess but manufacturers usually couple upping the pixel count together with an upgrade in sensor+processor technology that usually almost compensates for the smaller pixel area due to higher pixel count.

I used the Nikon D3200 and the D3300 coupled to an older version 18-300mm and the Canon T3i, I know reviews say the nikon sensor is way better, I just couldn't see the difference in every day shooting. If anything I would suggest you get the 18-300mm instead of your 18-200mm you have, they have pretty much comparable IQ but the latter is better for the times you want to take portrait type of photos but just don't want to keep running after the younger ones.
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 03:48:18 AM »

Enjoy the camera, if it meets your need then it'll serve you very well.  It sounds like you should know enough about photography that you are well equipped to judge your needs.

Nikon/Canon/etc - these days really depends on personal preference and if you have glass you want to use on the new body.

I'm a Nikon guy, d800, f2.8 zooms, faster primes.  The 3200 with those lenses doesn't meet my needs, but I know that and pay (quite literally) the price.

My one suggestion to you is stick with Nikon lenses.  The autofocus just seems to work best and they have better quality optics.  If you want more of a one lens do-all setup check out the 18-200 or if you don't mind the size and weight the 18-300 lens.  They aren't fast lenses, but they sure are versatile.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 03:52:03 AM »

.My main gripe is about the ViewNX2 software -- it no longer supports USB connection to the D60, so I have to pull the SD card out to transfer the pictures.   Still really happy with the camera though.

Bil, it's probably doing you a favor by not transmitting over usb.  I've always found the transfer speed to be vastly superior when I put the card in a proper card reader.  Plus then you don't chew up the battery doing a transfer.

Yosi Melamed

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2014, 04:29:32 AM »

Enjoy the camera, if it meets your need then it'll serve you very well.  It sounds like you should know enough about photography that you are well equipped to judge your needs.

Nikon/Canon/etc - these days really depends on personal preference and if you have glass you want to use on the new body.

I'm a Nikon guy, d800, f2.8 zooms, faster primes.  The 3200 with those lenses doesn't meet my needs, but I know that and pay (quite literally) the price.

My one suggestion to you is stick with Nikon lenses.  The autofocus just seems to work best and they have better quality optics.  If you want more of a one lens do-all setup check out the 18-200 or if you don't mind the size and weight the 18-300 lens.  They aren't fast lenses, but they sure are versatile.
Actually the 18-200 weighs the same as the newer 18-300, the older version of the 18-300 did weigh much more (that's the one I have).

Why didn't you go for the sharpness king, the 800E?
Don't bring up facts that can ruin our good argument.

Crown i-Tech 8000
Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX
4 X Cerwin Vega ProStax PS-12 II
1 X Cerwin Vega Sub 15
1 X Rolls RS-80 Tuner
1 X MaxxBass 101
1 X Weekend warrior

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 07:02:53 AM »

I see a local company has the 5200 on sale for $528 w/ 18-200 included, but no 55mm lens. I'm not sure but felt the 5200 may have been less of a camera than the 3200. Regardless, you really can't go wrong with a Nikon and the 3200 seems to be a perfect fit for my present needs. The days of having my own darkroom are long gone right along with the need for expensive bodies and long lenses.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 09:55:11 AM »

I don't think there's much between the D3200 and the D5200.  For 99% of the time, they will be identical.  The D5200 has a few extra features and also has a folding out screen - something which I would never use, but it's really just the same box with the same (or very similar) sensor.

Despite getting into digital photography back in 2003 with what now seems an outrageously priced Nikon D100, I am now going back in time.  I have a 5x4 enlarger and am half way through building a 5x4 folding field camera from brass and mahogany.

Steve.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 09:58:06 AM by Steve M Smith »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 05:11:28 PM »

That camera and a trip out west would be a lot of fun.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »

Actually the 18-200 weighs the same as the newer 18-300, the older version of the 18-300 did weigh much more (that's the one I have).

Why didn't you go for the sharpness king, the 800E?

There's 2 18-300's out, one is 3.5-5.6 one is 3.5-6.3  the second weighs the same as the 18-200.  So we're both right! :)

I went for the regular D800 because I wanted the AA and moire filters (and the $300).  I still get incredibly sharp if I shoot with all the correct settings and circumstances.  Since I'm not blowing up to wall-sized posters it's a worthwhile tradeoff for me.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 09:08:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.