ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DSLR camera  (Read 10746 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
DSLR camera
« on: June 01, 2014, 08:51:01 AM »

At a very young age I was bitten by the photography bug, passed on to me by an uncle who was at one time the photographer for Cypress Gardens FL. The result was the need for a decent and sometimes pro level camera. So, over the years I've owned a number of good cameras including large frame format cameras, Nikon F1, Pentax, etc., and at one time processed my own film, color and B&W.

So time passes and I've been through a number of cameras and not been really happy with any of them, the exception being an Pentax SF1 I bought 35 years ago. Still working I'll pass this and all of the lenses on to my older daughter. I've owned, and still own a number of those little digital cameras from Nikon, Canon and others, and those are OK for quick shots, parties, etc., but you get what you pay for.

Thursday I decided to enter back into the world of photography in a small way after seeing a sale at Best Buy and bought a Nikon D3200 DSLR. The sale included Nikkor 18-55mm and 200mm zoom lenses, a nice case, battery, charger, lens caps, shades, etc. all for $529, which I thought was a steal. Yes, I looked at Pentax and Canon, but was swayed by the focal points, features, ease of use, available accessories, reviews, and the fact it can also work as a movie camera with built in mic and has the ability to accept external mics.

I still have the opportunity to return this "kit" so my question is simply this. Does anyone have a specific reason I'll find at a later date that may make me wish I had purchased another model entry level DSLR. And please don't say save my money for a digital F1. I'm not going that far this time. (I hope)
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Russ Davis

• South Central VA and Pittsburgh PA
Re: DSLR camera
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 11:13:02 AM »

I've been through a number of cameras and not been really happy with any of them, the exception being an Pentax SF1 I bought 35 years ago... Does anyone have a specific reason I'll find at a later date that may make me wish I had purchased another model entry level DSLR.

IIRC, most (if not all) Pentax DSLRs will accept your K-mount lenses, albeit with limited automation.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:49:07 PM by Russ Davis »
"Garbage in, louder garbage out"

TonyWilliams

• Nashville, TN
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:11:43 PM »

Both Canon and Nikon DSLRs in this price range are great values. I bought a canon T3i because I had easy access to other Canon lenses. Now I've moved and all my new friends have Nikon cameras. Doh!

- Tony Williams

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:27:55 PM »

I have seventy two cameras (!!). Only two are digital and one of them is a Nikon D3200.

Whilst the D3200 is a lower priced, entry level model, it is very capable and I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

I usually use mine with the pre AI Nikkor lenses I have for my Nikon Fs,

Steve.

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:10:20 PM »

Whilst the D3200 is a lower priced, entry level model, it is very capable and I don't think you will be disappointed with it.

Looks like the successor to my D60 (very similar kit as Bob described).  It is a better camera than I am photographer.  I have gotten decent pictures of hit baseballs (and some missed ones -- cool to see the ball twixt bat and glove).  It does low-light well enough to get some nice shots at gigs, captures the lighting effects.

If you try a lot of action shots -- like baseball games -- I have seen that leaving the auto-focus on has a time lag before the shutter trips. 

My main gripe is about the ViewNX2 software -- it no longer supports USB connection to the D60, so I have to pull the SD card out to transfer the pictures.   Still really happy with the camera though.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »

I took about 200 pictures today of gear going up on Ebay. I was very pleased with the results. I left the camera on auto focus and was very impressed with the speed. No delay and every picture was sharp and in focus. Here is an example, size reduced by 70%.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Taylor Hall

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 10:07:36 AM »

Get yourself an SB-600 and you'll be able to handle pretty much anything.

I also have an 18-200VR I'll offload for a song if you're interested. I sold off some off a lot of my DSLR gear recently and that's the last thing on my list to downsize.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »

Bob - I have this exact camera, upgrading from a D40. Love it. video works great, but the internal mic can use some help for music critical applications (like my daughter's piano recital).

I have the SB400 flash and it is great for getting a more natural lighting.

I think you got a great deal! grab some polarizing filters and you should be good to go.

Matt Tudor

• NW Iowa.
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 05:26:12 PM »

At a very young age I was bitten by the photography bug, passed on to me by an uncle who was at one time the photographer for Cypress Gardens FL. The result was the need for a decent and sometimes pro level camera. So, over the years I've owned a number of good cameras including large frame format cameras, Nikon F1, Pentax, etc., and at one time processed my own film, color and B&W.

So time passes and I've been through a number of cameras and not been really happy with any of them, the exception being an Pentax SF1 I bought 35 years ago. Still working I'll pass this and all of the lenses on to my older daughter. I've owned, and still own a number of those little digital cameras from Nikon, Canon and others, and those are OK for quick shots, parties, etc., but you get what you pay for.

Thursday I decided to enter back into the world of photography in a small way after seeing a sale at Best Buy and bought a Nikon D3200 DSLR. The sale included Nikkor 18-55mm and 200mm zoom lenses, a nice case, battery, charger, lens caps, shades, etc. all for $529, which I thought was a steal. Yes, I looked at Pentax and Canon, but was swayed by the focal points, features, ease of use, available accessories, reviews, and the fact it can also work as a movie camera with built in mic and has the ability to accept external mics.

I still have the opportunity to return this "kit" so my question is simply this. Does anyone have a specific reason I'll find at a later date that may make me wish I had purchased another model entry level DSLR. And please don't say save my money for a digital F1. I'm not going that far this time. (I hope)

I shoot a 3100, which is the predecessor to the 3200. It's been a great camera. If I had one complaint, I think the higher ISO settings (+1600) get grainy faster than I would like. I notice it more with the long kit lens (I have both the ones you mention) at full zoom, especially low-light like at gigs. I've also found my Sigma 55mm prime has better color than the short kit lens at 50mm.
The competition at that price bracket is really Canon. I don't remember the model, but I used a Canon with similar lenses in a photo class along side my Nikon 3100 with kit lenses. I think that the color rendition of the Canon  seemed very marginally better before processing, although by the time we got thru adjusting exposure and such in Lightroom, I couldn't tell the difference between Canon and Nikon photos in the final project. I found navigating the Canon's menus difficult and the camera was noticeably heavier. I personally like the lighter Nikon, although I talked to people in my class who preferred the heavier Canon because it made it easier to steady the camera during longer exposures

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »

The graininess was addressed in the 3200 with the upgrade to 24 mega pixels.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 06:07:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.