ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: S3L updates  (Read 5446 times)

Thomas Lamb

S3L updates
« on: May 29, 2014, 10:18:18 PM »

Well this is good news and kinda sad. Looks like some nice updates for the S3L. However, I think it puts the nail in the coffin for FOH rack/stage rack, mix rack, and SC48. I understand the desks can't do AAX. However why can't FOH rack/stage rack get A Ethernet/AVB card to update pro tools workflow and do gain sharing?

—I/O tracking and gain sharing.

—Sharing of audio source feeds from one or more Stage 16 remote I/O boxes between up to three S3L systems over Ethernet AVB. This enables engineers to take multiple S3L systems on the road but only have to carry one set of I/O boxes. Gain tracking intelligently manages gain levels across all networked systems to provide each user on the network with full independent control of input gain.

—Improved surface navigation and mixing.

—Improved surface operation, navigation and visual feedback, speeding up workflows with user-definable fader layouts, VCA and Group Spill, and more.

—Ability to mix Pro Tools and other DAW sessions using the S3 control surface.

—The S3 control surface as a standalone studio controller and audio interface with Pro Tools and any other EUCON-enabled digital audio workstation, meaning that a performance can be mixed down in Pro Tools after a gig using just the S3 control surface and a laptop.

—Updated operating system with support for 64-bit AAX DSP plug-ins.

—Support for 64-bit AAX DSP plug-ins, giving customers access to all the latest effects and sound processors available.

VENUE 4.5 and EuControl 3.2 software updates will be available in Q3 2014 to current and new S3L customers at no cost through their Avid customer accounts.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: S3L updates
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »

Well this is good news and kinda sad. Looks like some nice updates for the S3L. However, I think it puts the nail in the coffin for FOH rack/stage rack, mix rack, and SC48. I understand the desks can't do AAX. However why can't FOH rack/stage rack get A Ethernet/AVB card to update pro tools workflow and do gain sharing?

—I/O tracking and gain sharing.

—Sharing of audio source feeds from one or more Stage 16 remote I/O boxes between up to three S3L systems over Ethernet AVB. This enables engineers to take multiple S3L systems on the road but only have to carry one set of I/O boxes. Gain tracking intelligently manages gain levels across all networked systems to provide each user on the network with full independent control of input gain.

—Improved surface navigation and mixing.

—Improved surface operation, navigation and visual feedback, speeding up workflows with user-definable fader layouts, VCA and Group Spill, and more.

—Ability to mix Pro Tools and other DAW sessions using the S3 control surface.

—The S3 control surface as a standalone studio controller and audio interface with Pro Tools and any other EUCON-enabled digital audio workstation, meaning that a performance can be mixed down in Pro Tools after a gig using just the S3 control surface and a laptop.

—Updated operating system with support for 64-bit AAX DSP plug-ins.

—Support for 64-bit AAX DSP plug-ins, giving customers access to all the latest effects and sound processors available.

VENUE 4.5 and EuControl 3.2 software updates will be available in Q3 2014 to current and new S3L customers at no cost through their Avid customer accounts.

Is the S3L a relevant mixing desk?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »

If you own one, it sure as hell is !
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 08:36:38 AM »

Mine's heading out on tour in a few weeks.  The update solves my workflow issues. 
What leads you to believe that the S3L isn't a relevant desk?
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 08:43:07 AM »

Mine's heading out on tour in a few weeks.  The update solves my workflow issues. 
What leads you to believe that the S3L isn't a relevant desk?

Before it, every one wanted a cheaper/smaller SC48. Now that it is out I hardly hear any one talk about it much less actually see it in the wild.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:46:12 PM »

The S3L is the proof of concept. Its an interesting product, but isn't going to conquer the market.

What we're all waiting for is Venue 2. Or perhaps an 'S6L'.

My money is on a Q1 2015 release. Modular architecture in the same vein as S3L. AAX DSP based, with AVB as the core audio transport infrastructure.
Riedel Communications

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:50:59 PM »

The S3L is the proof of concept. Its an interesting product, but isn't going to conquer the market.

What we're all waiting for is Venue 2. Or perhaps an 'S6L'.

My money is on a Q1 2015 release. Modular architecture in the same vein as S3L. AAX DSP based, with AVB as the core audio transport infrastructure.

Things are about to get interesting from more than 1 manufacturer, but I've been predicting that for 3 years.

Trust me, I'm a doctor. ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »

Things are about to get interesting from more than 1 manufacturer, but I've been predicting that for 3 years.

In my book all they need to let me do us put a profile surface on the s3 FOH rack then if they would either bone up with a app or at minimum beef up the PQ just a little I'm a very happy person. Then I get the S3L functionality with a surface that's worth a crap.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 04:51:55 PM »

Nobody likes it when someone gloats about keeping secrets from their friends, Tim... ::)
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 04:51:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.