ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: [Solved] P series/type rack panels similar to Audiopyle's?  (Read 9857 times)

Thomas Le

Does anyone know any place that sells P series/type connector panels with the holes drilled, like Audiopyle's D Series panels? Or am I going to have to drill them by hand on blank panels?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm making panels for plugging into my wireless mic rack and I have some spare P series male XLR connectors that I'm trying to put to good use.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:47:21 PM by Thomas Le »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: P series/type rack panels similar to Audiopyle's?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 12:00:20 AM »

You don't drill chassis holes. You drill a pilot hole and then punch the hole with a Greenlee hole punch. Drilling large holes in thin metal is a good way to get seriously hurt.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:13:08 AM »

Does anyone know any place that sells P series/type connector panels with the holes drilled, like Audiopyle's D Series panels? Or am I going to have to drill them by hand on blank panels?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm making panels for plugging into my wireless mic rack and I have some spare P series male XLR connectors that I'm trying to put to good use.

Call full compass
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Richard Turner

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 05:43:31 AM »

If you can't find what you want off the shelf look into having someone with a plasma cut table or better yet a water jet machine cut them out for you. Certainly someone else somewhaere in the word is looking for the exact same thing.

Patent the design liscence it to a manufacturer....be rich ......
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 10:24:52 AM »

Thank you Bob for the tip, I admit I had no idea where to start. Looks like it's a trip to my local Grainger store!

You don't drill chassis holes. You drill a pilot hole and then punch the hole with a Greenlee hole punch. Drilling large holes in thin metal is a good way to get seriously hurt.

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:20:12 PM »

I would try one of these two companies.  I have obtained quotes from both and it seems like very little to pay for cut and loaded panels. 

http://www.redco.com/Redco-Custom-Panel-Designer.html
http://www.panelauthority.com/index.html

David Parker

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:25:50 PM »

a lot of electricians own hole punches for sheet metal. As bob said, you drill a pilot hole, and the punch has two side, and a bolt pulls them together punching the hole
http://www.zoro.com/g/00054919/k-G2535653?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kpid=G2535653&gclid=CPOfiuKH1L4CFckWMgodySQALw

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »

I would try one of these two companies.  I have obtained quotes from both and it seems like very little to pay for cut and loaded panels. 

http://www.redco.com/Redco-Custom-Panel-Designer.html
http://www.panelauthority.com/index.html

Unfortunately Redco doesn't do P series/type holes. Panel Authority looks promising after looking at their sample pictures, will have to contact them to be sure...

a lot of electricians own hole punches for sheet metal. As bob said, you drill a pilot hole, and the punch has two side, and a bolt pulls them together punching the hole
http://www.zoro.com/g/00054919/k-G2535653?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kpid=G2535653&gclid=CPOfiuKH1L4CFckWMgodySQALw

Thanks for the link, will look into this further.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »

Unfortunately Redco doesn't do P series/type holes. Panel Authority looks promising after looking at their sample pictures, will have to contact them to be sure...

Thanks for the link, will look into this further.
Frankly, if you're trying to save money by re-using 'P-style' connectors, custom panels probably aren't the way you want to go. After all, a Neutrik DL series connector is only $3 a pop.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »

Step drills run at a low RPM are designed for sheet metal work and produce excellent hole quality.  If you are doing a lot of a particular size, the punch may be faster, but a punch kit is expensive.  Step drills are also expensive - particularly for sizes above 1" or so, but may be more widely useful.

An example here (but not necessarily a specific recommendation):
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200627853_200627853?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Power%20Tools-_-Drill%20Bits-_-43067&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=43067&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=43067&gclid=CKaak_ah1L4CFahAMgodiVwAbQ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.