ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need a PA system  (Read 25642 times)

Rick Powell

Re: I need a PA system
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2014, 12:50:47 PM »

Jason,

The Carvin, Peavey XR series and Yamaha powered mixers probably get the most love for those who use them at LAB (most folks here have separate mixing boards and either power amps and passive speakers or powered speakers).  If you're always mixing from stage it's a viable option for small rooms.  Your model's four powered channels are a bonus for those who have some passive mains and mons and don't need a lot of power.  I have used several Carvin pieces over the years - don't have a lot good to say for their speakers or amps, but their mixers have generally been OK; did a walk up sound job on a 24 channel Carvin mixer last month and was able to get a decent mix on it.  One of my old bands' guitarists had a made by Dynacord EV PSX 2000 powered mixer that was a very high quality unit for the genre, but it only had stereo power for the mains and we needed an external amp for the mons.  Not sure if they make it anymore.

Jason Simonds

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2014, 09:34:01 PM »

Jason,

The Carvin, Peavey XR series and Yamaha powered mixers probably get the most love for those who use them at LAB (most folks here have separate mixing boards and either power amps and passive speakers or powered speakers).  If you're always mixing from stage it's a viable option for small rooms.  Your model's four powered channels are a bonus for those who have some passive mains and mons and don't need a lot of power.

..and there in, the key.. we don't need a ton of power... and we already have JRX115's for mains and i have picked up 2 pair of NIB JRX112m @ $350 a pair/shipped over the last year... ( cheap for these methinks)

If i were to start from scratch.. I might still stay with passive speakers..

Those 4 amps make a huge difference.. powering 2 mains and two mons from the single box, and the effects etce.. we use a 3rd mon feed to a powered stand monitor for the drummer...

Like I said I mixed three other bands last month at a fesitval... one band had 3 vox, keys, sax, acoustic guitar, drum kick and harp oh and another mic on a mini amp when a guy sat it..   it was a pleasure to run...

the key to my choice was the weighing of features vs money...  no way could I afford what I got in components... all that said.. the Crown and the old mixing board will come on gigs with us...

Thomas Le

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2014, 11:49:36 PM »

IMO I find Carvin to be a good alternative For The Price in the territory where behringer holds on speakers and amps. As atrocious as this sounds, I've used 1540 mains with 742 monitors powered by DCM2000 mixed on a DX1642 mixer, and the results were excellent for what costed back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2014, 01:15:58 AM »

IMO I find Carvin to be a good alternative For The Price in the territory where behringer holds on speakers and amps. As atrocious as this sounds, I've used 1540 mains with 742 monitors powered by DCM2000 mixed on a DX1642 mixer, and the results were excellent for what costed back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you know what you are doing, and you are not asking equipment to do what it was not designed for a pro with good ears can make nearly anything sound acceptable.

The converse is also true, a hack can make the most expensive gear sound unacceptable.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

claude cascioli

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »

This is my first post, so I'll ask all of you now to forgive my ignorance about live sound.

I have been a semi-pro bassist in blues bands for the past 18 years. My wife and I also own a company that for the past seven years books musicians for festivals and a club or two. We always use a really fine local sound company, Joe Heslip Audio, to handle all these events. Great guys with excellent gear and great ears -- and musicians love them.

I also play in one band that uses a Bose L1 II system. We use it for three vocals and once in a while, depending on the room size, I'll run the line out from my Ampeg B100R bass amp into the Bose. Ninety-five percent of the time, the Bose is fine for our gigs. The other five percent, we wish we had a little more juice.

For my second band, the drummer (same as first band) bought a JBL EON 210P. Cool concept but it doesn't have any balls.

I would like to get a system to use -- definitely for the second band, once in a while for the first band, and also possibly for small events that don't require our sound company.

I have been looking at powered speakers, but so far I've only listened to the EV ZLX series at Guitar Center. Since then, I've just been researching online and trying to figure out what would best fit my needs. That's when I stumbled upon this site.

Some other speakers that seem to fit the bill for me are the Yamaha DXR10 and the RCF 310. Would you recommend a sub with either of these? If so, is it best to stick with the same brand, like the Yamaha DXS15?

Also, would just one sub be adequate and then mount the tops on stands? Or is it better to get two subs and mount the tops on poles above them? Might be overkill for my needs though.

This system would be mainly for clubs and once in a while a small outdoor event under a tent.

As for mixers, I've been looking at the Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX and the Yamaha MG16XU. Compared to the Bose and the EON, these may seem like more channels than I need, but I don't want to run into a situation with a band or an event that requires more than I've got.

Budget-wise, I just opened a $2,500 line of credit with Sweetwater. A pair of DXR10s, one DXS15 sub and the Yamaha mixer would max those funds out. I definitely don't want to spend more than that, and I'm open to your thoughts on other gear that may be more suitable to my needs.

I know I haven't given a ton of info here, but hopefully you will ask for specifics that will help determine the system to purchase.

Thanks!

cal
honestly. 2500.00 wont even get you a good set of speakers. stay away from the lower cost systems beacause there crap. the best speaker i found that sound great and does not blow up is the qsc kw153 and the k 12 these are great sounding speakers. stay away from gc and the mail order houses they will tell you anything to make a sale. look around for used gear. i recomend trying to find some ev sx 500 speaker they sound great there a little bigger but light weight. qsc powerlight amps a 1.8 would work great older consoles to look at are soundcraft  allen and heath and the midas venice series. but buying new gear is a waste. i find most of the gear in music stores nothing but junk. i own a sound company and buy only older gear why its a lot better than 90 percent of the gear out there. ask the sound co youre dealing with now if he has any gear he wants to sell. and even 2500.00 is not a lot for even a good used pa.

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »

Hi Cal,

So you want more functionality than the Bose L1 II system, but you don't want to spend a fortune, AND you have a $2500 line of credit at Sweetwater?

Well, let's go shopping!

1 - On-Stage Stands SS7761B/SSB6500 Bundle - 2-Pack Speaker Stands w/Bag (SSP7950) Item ID: SpkStdBagBun $119.95
1 - SKB Gig Rig - A home for all your gear Item ID: GigRig $544.99
2 - Raxxess ESD-4 - 4RU Rack Drawer Item ID: ESD4 $138.40 each, $276.80
1 - Raxxess ESD-2 - 2RU Rack Drawer Item ID: ESD2 $112.80
4 - Shure SM-58 Microphones Item ID: SM58 $99 each, $396
4 - K&M 210/2 Mic Stand Item ID: KM2102BK $79.99 each, $319.96
2 - K&M 21421 Mic Stand Carrying Case Item ID: KM21421 $28.99 each, $57.98
2 - Whirlwind IMP2 Direct Box Item ID: IMP2 $49.89 each, 99.87
1 - Raxxess PTSW-25 Rack Screws Item ID: RkScrew25 $5.12
1 - ProCo EXM-25, 10 pack Excellines 25' Mic Cables Item ID: XLR25-10pk
2 - Peavey PVxP 12 Loudspeakers Item ID: PVxP12 $349.99 each, $699.98
1 - Peavey PV 10 Compact Mixer with built in effects Item ID: PV10 $269.99
1 - Peavey PV 10 Rack Kit Rack ears for mixer Item ID: PV10Ear $17.99

This gives us a complete packaged system, ready to roll out the door and work for a grand total of $3,121.33. Yes, this is a touch over your budget of $2,500, but EVERYTHING except power is included, mics, stands, cables, etc. This is a complete and ready to go system.

I'm sure there will be plenty of crying about the Peavey gear, as well as accolades for the K&M stands, not to mention the SM-58's are just industry standards and you will never go wrong owning those. However, the Peavey gear is in there not because I work for them, it is because when you spill a drink in there or otherwise damage it, you can actually send it to your local repair place and get it fixed. If they can't or won't handle it, you can send it right back to Peavey and they will fix it. Considering their price, I've been fairly impressed with the PVxP loudspeakers.

If you feel like you need a little more thump from the system, go ahead and add the PVxP sub.

Anyway, whatever you end up doing, have fun and good luck!

This is my first post, so I'll ask all of you now to forgive my ignorance about live sound.

I have been a semi-pro bassist in blues bands for the past 18 years. My wife and I also own a company that for the past seven years books musicians for festivals and a club or two. We always use a really fine local sound company, Joe Heslip Audio, to handle all these events. Great guys with excellent gear and great ears -- and musicians love them.

I also play in one band that uses a Bose L1 II system. We use it for three vocals and once in a while, depending on the room size, I'll run the line out from my Ampeg B100R bass amp into the Bose. Ninety-five percent of the time, the Bose is fine for our gigs. The other five percent, we wish we had a little more juice.

For my second band, the drummer (same as first band) bought a JBL EON 210P. Cool concept but it doesn't have any balls.

I would like to get a system to use -- definitely for the second band, once in a while for the first band, and also possibly for small events that don't require our sound company.

I have been looking at powered speakers, but so far I've only listened to the EV ZLX series at Guitar Center. Since then, I've just been researching online and trying to figure out what would best fit my needs. That's when I stumbled upon this site.

Some other speakers that seem to fit the bill for me are the Yamaha DXR10 and the RCF 310. Would you recommend a sub with either of these? If so, is it best to stick with the same brand, like the Yamaha DXS15?

Also, would just one sub be adequate and then mount the tops on stands? Or is it better to get two subs and mount the tops on poles above them? Might be overkill for my needs though.

This system would be mainly for clubs and once in a while a small outdoor event under a tent.

As for mixers, I've been looking at the Allen & Heath ZED60-14FX and the Yamaha MG16XU. Compared to the Bose and the EON, these may seem like more channels than I need, but I don't want to run into a situation with a band or an event that requires more than I've got.

Budget-wise, I just opened a $2,500 line of credit with Sweetwater. A pair of DXR10s, one DXS15 sub and the Yamaha mixer would max those funds out. I definitely don't want to spend more than that, and I'm open to your thoughts on other gear that may be more suitable to my needs.

I know I haven't given a ton of info here, but hopefully you will ask for specifics that will help determine the system to purchase.

Thanks!
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »

Hi Cal,

So you want more functionality than the Bose L1 II system, but you don't want to spend a fortune, AND you have a $2500 line of credit at Sweetwater?

Well, let's go shopping!

1 - On-Stage Stands SS7761B/SSB6500 Bundle - 2-Pack Speaker Stands w/Bag (SSP7950) Item ID: SpkStdBagBun $119.95
1 - SKB Gig Rig - A home for all your gear Item ID: GigRig $544.99
2 - Raxxess ESD-4 - 4RU Rack Drawer Item ID: ESD4 $138.40 each, $276.80
1 - Raxxess ESD-2 - 2RU Rack Drawer Item ID: ESD2 $112.80
4 - Shure SM-58 Microphones Item ID: SM58 $99 each, $396
4 - K&M 210/2 Mic Stand Item ID: KM2102BK $79.99 each, $319.96
2 - K&M 21421 Mic Stand Carrying Case Item ID: KM21421 $28.99 each, $57.98
2 - Whirlwind IMP2 Direct Box Item ID: IMP2 $49.89 each, 99.87
1 - Raxxess PTSW-25 Rack Screws Item ID: RkScrew25 $5.12
1 - ProCo EXM-25, 10 pack Excellines 25' Mic Cables Item ID: XLR25-10pk
2 - Peavey PVxP 12 Loudspeakers Item ID: PVxP12 $349.99 each, $699.98
1 - Peavey PV 10 Compact Mixer with built in effects Item ID: PV10 $269.99
1 - Peavey PV 10 Rack Kit Rack ears for mixer Item ID: PV10Ear $17.99

This gives us a complete packaged system, ready to roll out the door and work for a grand total of $3,121.33. Yes, this is a touch over your budget of $2,500, but EVERYTHING except power is included, mics, stands, cables, etc. This is a complete and ready to go system.

I'm sure there will be plenty of crying about the Peavey gear, as well as accolades for the K&M stands, not to mention the SM-58's are just industry standards and you will never go wrong owning those. However, the Peavey gear is in there not because I work for them, it is because when you spill a drink in there or otherwise damage it, you can actually send it to your local repair place and get it fixed. If they can't or won't handle it, you can send it right back to Peavey and they will fix it. Considering their price, I've been fairly impressed with the PVxP loudspeakers.

If you feel like you need a little more thump from the system, go ahead and add the PVxP sub.

Anyway, whatever you end up doing, have fun and good luck!

Josh is dead on, you need a complete system.  My basic system EV ZLX12's, older heavily mod'd Mackie powered subs (really just Mackie cabinets), an x32 producer, MIC's., cables, stands, power distribution, covers, cases, DI's a WAP is 10k.  That system earns 250-350 a night including my fat ass.

The next tangible step up is 35k with SRX's, QSC Amp's, larger selection of MIC's, SI Expression 3, good wireless gear, road cases etc. 

Until you get above that you are dealing with gear engineered for a price point not a performance target.  There is very little tangible differentiation.  Spending 10 or even 30% more doesn't move you up the ladder.  It's lateral.  We have all made the mistake of paying 20k for a 10k system by buying the wrong gear along the way. 

The only way to save money is to scour the used market and frankly unless you are older and lived in the days when a soldering iron and a VTVM were must have items in your tool box the used gear can bite you hard.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2014, 07:08:19 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.