ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you secure gear in a house sound installation?  (Read 9543 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: How do you secure gear in a house sound installation?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 05:30:07 PM »

It hasn't fallen though. They just changed the game plan on me.

Do you know why?  It sounds like there is a legal problem or Code issue.  If you don't see trade worker vans, suspect the former.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 05:35:05 PM »

JJ...

You need to get this stuff in writing, signed and witnessed before you do anything at all, much less buy gear for it.  Otherwise just bend over, pucker up and kiss your a&$ goodbye.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 06:15:48 PM »

Yup, just like the other bar thread, they need to see the value to budget fixing up their system. One of 4 choices. Either contract to provide a full system that you bring in each time they want to run bands but I suspect that will be out of budget. Convince them to fix their system up to the standards that you feel are necessary for the successful use by you and other professionals. Work with what they have and hope that they will see the need for improvements. Or finally let them flounder on their own.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 08:16:56 AM »

It sounds like there have now been multiple occasions where they have deviated from what was agreed.  The more you let them deviate from what was agreed without holding them to what was agreed and without their incurring any penalty for the changes, the more likely they are to continuing violating your agreements.  Many people would simply walk away at this point but if you still want to proceed then I agree with Dick, you should have an agreement in writing and their "changing the game plan" should cost them rather than you.

John Jackson

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 07:54:53 PM »

Do you know why?  It sounds like there is a legal problem or Code issue.  If you don't see trade worker vans, suspect the former.

That's what I am beginning to wonder. I think there are some hurdles they are not telling me about. Either that or the owner is just going overboard on updating and doesn't know when to stop. But they already cancelled all the bands for March and April, and I made my investment thinking that I would be getting paid for two sound gigs a week by now.

I almost opened a club myself about eight years ago. I was going to make a down payment on it until I read an article about starting nightclubs. It said that 80% of clubs fold within the first five years, and the number one reason someone opens a club is to create an ego booster so they can get the notoriety and respect of being a nightclub owner.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »

and the number one reason someone opens a club is to create an ego booster so they can get the notoriety and respect of being a nightclub owner.

Respect of being a nightclub owner, that's a new one...

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »

Same reasons why people become personal injury lawyers

John Jackson

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 06:32:44 PM »

Respect of being a nightclub owner, that's a new one...

You know what I mean... they bring their clients out to "my club" and entertain them. It's a big PR/ego boost.

Maybe some club owners do it for money, but the ones who already own successful businesses buy a nightclub as a trophy.

I've already given up on the gig. Now they have some code violations to work through while I sit on thousands of dollars of newly-purchased gear. I'll be damned if I take anything into that place and leave it. The writing is on the wall. This guy is spending tens of thousands of dollars to update a club and is not focusing on sound or lights at all yet. I'll probably chuckle when he opens the place and it becomes another empty room. They will book all the crappy bands because the good ones have all blacklisted them.

They booked bands from late February, 2014 through September, 2014 and have had to cancel nearly every local band once or twice so far. I was supposed to be making a paycheck since the first gig, so I am out all that income also. Now there is no solid opening date in sight. But they are still begging me to be their house sound guy. LMAO!

What looks too good to be true probably is.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:41:16 PM by John Jackson »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »

You know what I mean... they bring their clients out to "my club" and entertain them. It's a big PR/ego boost.

Maybe some club owners do it for money, but the ones who already own successful businesses buy a nightclub as a trophy.

I've already given up on the gig. Now they have some code violations to work through while I sit on thousands of dollars of newly-purchased gear. I'll be damned if I take anything into that place and leave it. The writing is on the wall. This guy is spending tens of thousands of dollars to update a club and is not focusing on sound or lights at all yet. I'll probably chuckle when he opens the place and it becomes another empty room. They will book all the crappy bands because the good ones have all blacklisted them.

They booked bands from late February, 2014 through September, 2014 and have had to cancel nearly every local band once or twice so far. I was supposed to be making a paycheck since the first gig, so I am out all that income also. Now there is no solid opening date in sight. But they are still begging me to be their house sound guy. LMAO!

What looks too good to be true probably is.

Good to hear you're bailing on this 'project.'  It would end up on Bar Rescue in 12 months.... which brings me to the real reasons most bars fail - unprofessional (and inexperienced) management/ownership, and drunk owners/managers.  Pretty much all of the down-stream employee problems stem from those 2 things.  A 'trophy bar' owner can be both...

Running a bar is a business - one that can lose money as fast as the barkeep can pour the drinks.

About 25 years ago, fresh out of another accounting class I contemplated opening a jazz/blues club.  The up-front costs were significant (remodel, new refrigeration, new kitchen, new bathrooms) and the only way to make it work was to have strict liquor control and accounting.  The pro-forma cash flows showed that I'd probably lose money the first 2 years and after that things were very iffy.  It was more fun and profitable to run sound.  Interestingly, the projected costs of staging the entertainment was a relatively small part of operations, save promoting some name acts throughout the year.

Tom Reid, a former participant here at PSW, opened (and later closed) his own club.  He posted about it and a forum search will likely bring up the threads in the FUD forum archives (sans pictures, sadly).  He had a nice place, a couple of crooked employees, and a landlord that refused to fix life-safety code violations; ultimately the latter was the cause of the closure.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 26 queries.