ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC amplifiers  (Read 15044 times)

jason misterka

Re: QSC amplifiers
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »

I guess with their new ability to selectively parallel output components or not, if they made a 2ch amp it would really be 4ch worth of components permanently combined. why not open up the ability to separate the channels if you want?
For the cost of connectors the amp becomes way more flexible

Jason

I agree. Seems to me that they have a two channel PL380 hiding inside a four channel PL340 with DSP, and not a terrible price point.  I've haven't used these myself but would love to try one out.

Jason

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2014, 11:10:29 PM »

I guess with their new ability to selectively parallel output components or not, if they made a 2ch amp it would really be 4ch worth of components permanently combined. why not open up the ability to separate the channels if you want?
For the cost of connectors the amp becomes way more flexible

Jason
Yup, without getting all esoteric, theres another subtle thing about class D where you can make one high current power supply and then hang 4 or more class D amp sections off that one supply to make 4 amps that are capable of .25x+.25x+.25x+.25x, or .4x+.4x+.1x+.1x,  or whatever combination that adds up to 100%. Add a 1x4 DSP in front and you have a nice engine for powered speakers.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »

Hey John, while you're at it why don't you and some of the other more knowledgeable members provide us with a real understanding of "burst" power.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John durisko

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2014, 12:05:41 AM »

After my experience with PL380's not holding up with a 2 point something ohm load and service after, I've moved to all lab gruppen and powersoft. Haven't looked back and been happier for it. Too many engineers come in and him haw about the qsc's when we had them. Now, I can focus on making the systems the best they can be without dealing with the engineers being sh*tty about amp choices. For the record, 3-600watt, 8ohm drivers connected in parallel on each side of a pl380. Cooked 2 of them. Almost the cost of a new amp, 2 or 3 months out of warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 01:36:58 AM »

After my experience with PL380's not holding up with a 2 point something ohm load and service after,

For the record, 3-600watt, 8ohm drivers connected in parallel on each side of a pl380. Cooked 2 of them. Almost the cost of a new amp, 2 or 3 months out of warranty

Never seen this, we run 380s on sub duty at a 2ohm load all the time. Never so much as a blink. Just pure, reliable power. What was determined to be the issue?

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 01:42:50 AM »

Someone name a DSP more expensive then a Qsys Core 4000.

How about two QSYS Core 4000's in a redundant configuration?  And yes, I know of a project!  :p

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 06:21:16 AM »

How about two QSYS Core 4000's in a redundant configuration?  And yes, I know of a project!  :p

I just finished one as well!

http://qsc.com/media-and-events/news/university-wisconsin-stadium-takes-complete-control-qsc/

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

paul bell

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 07:48:52 AM »

I own a PLD4.5. I'm very impressed with it's performance.

It's used as a single amp to power two big bi-amp monitors. I've also used it to temporarily power some club install speakers-where it really shined.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

I just finished one as well!

http://qsc.com/media-and-events/news/university-wisconsin-stadium-takes-complete-control-qsc/

That is an impressive install. Congratulations on a job well done!!
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »

Hey John, while you're at it why don't you and some of the other more knowledgeable members provide us with a real understanding of "burst" power.

Back in the old, old days there used to be an IHF spec for sine wave tone burst testing that specified a duty cycle and burst ratio. I do not know that there is a modern equivalent, so I do not know exactly "what" burst power is, but I do know "why" burst power is specified. Modern high output amplifiers do not put out full power continuously, they haven't for decades. So burst power is an attempt to characterize the short term power of an amplifier before the power supply collapses or protection circuits kick in.

I would expect a range of different burst power envelopes depending on what is the controlling limitations are.

JR

PS: I designed an oddball power amp while at Peavey that used a PS boost circuit so it could momentarily put out 4x it's continuous power for short term peaks. The technology was not cost effective to scale up to higher power points so I only made one modest power version.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.