ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC amplifiers  (Read 15150 times)

Chris Jensen

• Los Angeles
Re: QSC amplifiers
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 01:46:01 PM »

It seems that with QSC having Qsys that is where the DSP dollars go.  Not to mention most of their speakers are powered, I take this as them not needing interfaceable DSP.  If the amp is made specifically for a speaker model there is not much DSP to interface with.  I think QSC also did support DSP in their amps just not in the way the other companies have moved forward with.  QSC amps used plugin cards I thought.  If the install market is their direction then that makes Qsys one hell of a DSP they offer compared to some of the other amp companies.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »

Sounds like QSC is comfortable in the touring market (and doing well) and has decided to branch out further into the installed side.  I don't think install sound is where they are heading.

I don't think they are comfortable at all in the "touring" market.  Regional probably, but someone name (quickly :-) a big time tour vendor with QSC amps on the road.

Reason = "the package".

NEXO - NXAMP
VerTec / VTX - iTech HD
L'Acoustics, db audiotechnik,  etc etc etc

And then we have self powered. 

I'm sure they sell a metric assload of RMX and PLX.  With so many players in the high-power amp market, maybe QSC never goes beyond their current power point. 

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 02:18:37 PM »

My reference is to the quantity of 4 channel 72v installation type amplifiers QSC seems to have at this time. A much larger choice than the choices available for either 2 or 4 channel amplifiers with built in DSP.

"Mama always told not to look into the eyes of the sun/ but Mama, that's where the fun is!"

QSC isn't the only company to look into the eyes of the install market.  Every time a public building or commercial space is built, remodeled or leased, commercial audio installation will be needed.  Those installations represent a much better business plan than building rugged, high powered, DSP based amps for customers who intend to run them 10 years before considering replacement.  So, I'm a good Crown customer once a decade, but the commercial audio installers are good customers every month.  Where does it make the most sense for Crown to allocate resources?

Portable sound systems/componentry for "serious live use" is a small market in the grand scheme of All Things Audio.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 02:35:18 PM »

Don't think it's an either/or calculus. Any larger amp company appreciates that similar technology can work across multiple markets.

At the risk of repeating the obvious, the touring market is nice for the line leader visibility, but does not amount to many dollars.

I am impressed by QSC's vision to expand into powered speakers as an amp company to protect their flank. Perhaps they read the same writing on the wall I did (while I have been writing that on the wall). :-)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »

I don't think they are comfortable at all in the "touring" market.  Regional probably, but someone name (quickly :-) a big time tour vendor with QSC amps on the road.

Someone name a DSP more expensive then a Qsys Core 4000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 03:58:06 PM »

"Mama always told not to look into the eyes of the sun/ but Mama, that's where the fun is!"

QSC isn't the only company to look into the eyes of the install market.  Every time a public building or commercial space is built, remodeled or leased, commercial audio installation will be needed.  Those installations represent a much better business plan than building rugged, high powered, DSP based amps for customers who intend to run them 10 years before considering replacement.  So, I'm a good Crown customer once a decade, but the commercial audio installers are good customers every month.  Where does it make the most sense for Crown to allocate resources?

Portable sound systems/componentry for "serious live use" is a small market in the grand scheme of All Things Audio.

Wisdom from a loudspeaker manufacturer:

They can sell a dozen loudspeakers to a sound company once, or a couple hundred every time they are specified for a large install.  "That's why we don't really care much about truck pack dimensions or rigging hardware", paraphrasing.
It's got electrolytes. 

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2014, 04:33:52 PM »

All the above makes good sense, and all points are relevant, in particular those concerning installation. What jerked my chain was what appeared to be a change in strategy with the devotion of so many lines aimed at installers. Being a QSC fanboy I was hoping to see something come out that might replace a rack load of very heavy 4050HD amplifiers and a dbx 4800 DSP. Alas, that appears not to be poor Yorick.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2014, 04:45:36 PM »

All the above makes good sense, and all points are relevant, in particular those concerning installation. What jerked my chain was what appeared to be a change in strategy with the devotion of so many lines aimed at installers. Being a QSC fanboy I was hoping to see something come out that might replace a rack load of very heavy 4050HD amplifiers and a dbx 4800 DSP. Alas, that appears not to be poor Yorick.

lab.gruppen, Powersoft, other 4-channel amps.  Sometimes you just gotta make a change.... ;-)

It's got electrolytes. 

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 06:50:33 PM »

I just looked at their website amplifier page and they have 12 different series of power amps.

It looks to me like they are still servicing all markets.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »

My reference is to the quantity of 4 channel 72v installation type amplifiers QSC seems to have at this time. A much larger choice than the choices available for either 2 or 4 channel amplifiers with built in DSP.

And if all your looking for is 1200 watts per channel I suppose you've made your point. However, summing a pair channels in a four channel amp to achieve enough output to power your cabinets tends to defeat the purpose of a 4 channel amp. duh.

I do however agree that a 4 channel amp will be the way to go. Lighter, more compact, etc. However, my question was concerning the apparent emphasis QSC has placed on amplifiers specifically marketed for installation purposes, not the one line of 4 channel amplifiers with low output they now have available for pro sound purposes. I had actually expected to see a DSP equipped 380 in the lineup at some point.

I guess with their new ability to selectively parallel output components or not, if they made a 2ch amp it would really be 4ch worth of components permanently combined. why not open up the ability to separate the channels if you want?
For the cost of connectors the amp becomes way more flexible

Jason

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2014, 07:09:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.