ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Assessing the situation at my new church  (Read 15691 times)

Chris Haywood #984738495

• The sound man is the chief musician. Gig Harbor,WA
Re: Assessing the situation at my new church
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »

Chris, you're a funny guy.  I guess if I played in your band, as a guitarist, I could bring in four Marshall Stacks and run them wide open. Then the drummer would want bigger amps.  Then I would want bigger amps.  Then the vocalists couldn't hear themselves and would be singing off key.  I guess a happy football quarterback shouldn't be discouraged from always passing the ball to his favorite guy on the other team.   :)

Yes Randall! you got it. My guitarist can stack his speakers up to the ceiling! Why? because the more EFFORT he puts into it, the better he will be. If he has to spend all that money to get all those speakers, I promise you, he will spend more time in practice, and if practice involves dynamic exercises, then guess what? An all new understanding of dynamic relationships shows up, and I will accommodate all the speakers by getting more sound shields and we may have a little more plexy than usual, but my guitarist will be able to play as loud as he can possibly take without blowing the mix because my band aid, aided the guitarist to play the way he most enjoys. Im not going to put a leash around his neck and tell him to do it my way.

If the drummer wants bigger drums lets go! That just means Im going to need bigger speakers too. Ive seen and heard of great things happening in loud services, but I have NOT witnessed anything supernatural in a quiet one.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:39:55 PM by Chris Haywood #984738495 »
The more Jesus the better. The louder I praise Jesus, the louder he becomes in my life. I am surrounded by true riches and blessings.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2014, 05:16:35 PM »

Life is lively, the more lively life gets the more noise it makes. If your drummer gets excited and thereby gets too loud, get a band aid rather than murder the enthusiasm of the drummer. Obviously its not too loud for the drummer if the drummer is playing too loud, this very well could be an acoustics issue as well.
I can tell, my drummer would certainly be much more happier than yours.

Sorry Chris but that's a bunch of crap and if you don't know it, then you should post less and read more.

Drummers who can't play quietly with enthusiasm and maintain their rhythm are just crappy drummers.  If asking a drummer to play quiter murders his enthusiasm, then he is not a great musician.  E-drums and cages are band aids to the bigger problem of drummers with poor technique and musicianship.

Perhaps an addition to my iggy list is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Haywood #984738495

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2014, 05:30:47 PM »

Sorry Chris but that's a bunch of crap and if you don't know it, then you should post less and read more.

Drummers who can't play quietly with enthusiasm and maintain their rhythm are just crappy drummers.  If asking a drummer to play quiter murders his enthusiasm, then he is not a great musician.  E-drums and cages are band aids to the bigger problem of drummers with poor technique and musicianship.

Perhaps an addition to my iggy list is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clearly we are talking about different drummers. You see, a drummer that I work with will flourish and improve extremely rapidly once we get the ball rolling. I work with the musicians independently. And I approach it with a positive attitude.

You see, your approach as you just pointed out in your post, is negative. "crappy drummers". Now if we are on the same page as far as in a church environment is concerned, well then your approach does nothing but create friction. You start by assigning your drummer and impossible task..

First you are telling him he is doing something wrong. Second, you tell him to turn it down, but you don't tell him how much because you yourself don't even know now that you are at the front and not in back. Third, you expect him to somehow know just how hard or how soft to play according to your standard as if he has the the magical capability of placing his ears in the back of the room and since the drummer is not a mind reader, you just murdered his enthusiasm and replaced it with fear of not playing it just right. How can he know what volume you want? even if he does turn it down, did it turn it down too much ? too little? What dictates the correct volume for the drummer to judge? When nobody complains he hit the jackpot? What about when somebody else tells him to crank it and you say turn it down, what is he supposed to do? You know what he wants to do is say screw you to you and say amen to the one who requested him to play louder.
But if you try my suggestion, you will find in this case, the band aid works better than your proposed solution.. Ive tried your way, and it sucks, but you haven't tried my way, and you already want to ignore me? You must be brilliant.

So how is this a better approach in a church environment?
I think you are talking about the bar scene. In which your methods fit nicely.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 05:43:57 PM by Chris Haywood #984738495 »
The more Jesus the better. The louder I praise Jesus, the louder he becomes in my life. I am surrounded by true riches and blessings.

Chris Haywood #984738495

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2014, 05:37:40 PM »

Yes, those recordings are much lower quality than what the sound technicians could do at the board.  But the congregation doesn't sit at the board,( our board is in its own elevated room at the back of the auditorium )  so I'm trying to capture what the average church member is hearing.  And, my whole purpose is to pass on information to the team so they can decide for themselves if changes need to be made.

Randall I feel sorry for you having to control everything and hear nothing. Or at least not what you need to hear.. This calls for an emergency relocation, how can you get into it up there? I would ask for relocation to the back row as close to center on the floor as possible.. Don't know how many channels you have to deal with, but there are lots of iPad apps that allow remote control. I think I would pull my hair out up there, or I would try to aim the speakers so I get just as much as everyone else. I want to have some church too! Lets celebrate Jesus!  :) Oh ya, I don't have anymore hair.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2014, 01:48:02 PM »

Randall I feel sorry for you having to control everything and hear nothing. Or at least not what you need to hear.. This calls for an emergency relocation, how can you get into it up there? I would ask for relocation to the back row as close to center on the floor as possible.. Don't know how many channels you have to deal with, but there are lots of iPad apps that allow remote control. I think I would pull my hair out up there, or I would try to aim the speakers so I get just as much as everyone else. I want to have some church too! Lets celebrate Jesus!  :) Oh ya, I don't have anymore hair.

The true solution is a group of musicians that play well together, each  has to have "dynamic level and limit senstivity" to each other. It should never be a "need to get louder to hear myself" issue.   This will always be a problem to the foh mixer
visit the stage during practice,listen.
   Ask the band members if they have a good mix on stage. if they are happy its a mix/room issue, if not address the instrument/musician ,he/she should want to be a part of the dynamic cohesiveness that makes a group sound its best.
                  It is always about praising God,
remove attitudes, be a part of the praise body, adjust anything needed.                 
                     Its all about Jesus
« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 01:26:19 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Irvin Pribadi

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »

Aside of drummer maturity and quality, a drum cage IMO is primarily not for lowering the volume the congregation hears.
I'm in a small church and I use drum shield to help other musicians close by hear less drum and reduce drum bleed into open vocal mics.
Note that the backwall of the drum (and ceiling and floor to some extent) needs to be acoustically absorbent. If not the reflected sound (mostly snare & cymbals) from the drum shield just bounces around in the cage and bleeds all over your drum mics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.