ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: di box connection  (Read 4265 times)

Mark Birkland

di box connection
« on: May 30, 2014, 11:39:58 PM »

Hi. I'm playing distorted electric guitar chord fragments in a worship band. I'm playing through a Korg AX5G and I find it very difficult to hear my playing through the monitor when the whole band is playing. Is it possible to connect a computer speaker to the DI box so I can have an extra monitor beside me?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: di box connection
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:36:12 PM »

Hi. I'm playing distorted electric guitar chord fragments in a worship band. I'm playing through a Korg AX5G and I find it very difficult to hear my playing through the monitor when the whole band is playing. Is it possible to connect a computer speaker to the DI box so I can have an extra monitor beside me?

Hello Mark, welcome to the forums!
Is there any reason why you can't (have the sound guy) turn your guitar up in the monitor?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 06:25:12 AM »

The answer is most likely yes as most DI boxes have a through connection.  i.e. there is an input socket to connect to your Korg and a second 1/4" socket which you can use to connect to an amplifier.

Steve.

Stephen Gregory

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 06:22:22 AM »

Unless your computer has unusually high-powered speakers, they are not what I would recommend to use as an additional monitor.  Yes, you can plug into the other input/output of the DI and connect that to your speaker, but if you are having trouble with a "real" monitor, this is not likely to be the best solution (too weak, fiddly to plug in, turns righteous distortion into angry mosquitoes).

If you have a regular guitar amp, this is what I would recommend as your alternative monitor - it is built to play guitar through, and should sound at least OK. That way you have complete control over your sound levels.  Of course the rest of your worship team may not be too keen on you blasting them with a Marshall stack, but as long as you are considerate, it is a good option. You just use a guitar lead to plug the other output of the DI into the amp input and you're good to go.

If you have no amp, then you need to make friends with the sound guy and get him to turn you up in the monitors. Bear in mind that you may be sharing a monitor send with someone else in the team, so there may be limits to how much of you they are willing to inflict on your monitor-buddies. Still, you can ask.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 08:47:36 AM »

You could also get something like this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MyMonitor

If you adapt your guitar to the mic input you would probably be fine, and you can mix it in with the headphone mix you are getting from the sound board....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »

It's very possible (depending on the brand and model of DI box). Computer speakers have very poor directional control and will result in a lot of spill toward other performers, microphones, and the audience. I would consider them unacceptable for this purpose. A small, powered PA speaker with some directionality would be preferable. "Studio" monitors aren't much different from computer speakers in this regard; they are designed for use at the recording desk where directionality is not important nor desired.

Getting a good mix in the existing monitor would make more sense. If the audio system you use has the ability for multiple AUX sends AND you have available amplifier channels, each performer that needs it could and should have a separate mix that meets their needs.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.