ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Providers in Chicago  (Read 3728 times)

Steve Anderson

Providers in Chicago
« on: May 27, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I've been hanging around here for years, and I know all the names I think I trust.

Doing a medical conference next May (2015) probably in McCormick Place, Chicago. Am getting conflicting information as to who (production companies) are allowed in there.

We would be using Arie Crown theatre for the main/plenary sessions, with the breakout/concurrent rooms other spaces within the Lakeside Centre.

Venue gave me a list of "approved" suppliers, some other people have told me that anyone can go in there, but their (McCormick's) list give them kickbacks/commissions.

The kind of thing I'm going to need are 5 or so rooms with 8 x dpa headsets (Shure UHF-R or Senn 2000 kind of level) and a sound system that can cope with that. Very interactive sessions with multiple people speaking - back and forth banter type of thing. Along with some relatively high impact playback.

Vision wise, very IMAG heavy, maybe a blend screen (in main room), Barco 20K level of projectors more than likely.

I'm also a little unsure as to how the union thing works over here. I'm based in Australia, but currently in Chicago doing site visits with the client.

Only here today and tomorrow (tues/wed)

So main points are:

1. allowed providers or preferred providers
2. suggestions for providers ﹣ I'd prefer a fullservice provider
3. Union rules ﹣ how does this work with different unions and outside providers, given that we're using both the Theatre and the Convention Centre

It would be cool to have some comments fairly quickly, only because I'm here at the moment.

Cheers,
Steve.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Providers in Chicago
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 08:11:38 PM »

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I've been hanging around here for years, and I know all the names I think I trust.

Doing a medical conference next May (2015) probably in McCormick Place, Chicago. Am getting conflicting information as to who (production companies) are allowed in there.

We would be using Arie Crown theatre for the main/plenary sessions, with the breakout/concurrent rooms other spaces within the Lakeside Centre.

Venue gave me a list of "approved" suppliers, some other people have told me that anyone can go in there, but their (McCormick's) list give them kickbacks/commissions.

The kind of thing I'm going to need are 5 or so rooms with 8 x dpa headsets (Shure UHF-R or Senn 2000 kind of level) and a sound system that can cope with that. Very interactive sessions with multiple people speaking - back and forth banter type of thing. Along with some relatively high impact playback.

Vision wise, very IMAG heavy, maybe a blend screen (in main room), Barco 20K level of projectors more than likely.

I'm also a little unsure as to how the union thing works over here. I'm based in Australia, but currently in Chicago doing site visits with the client.

Only here today and tomorrow (tues/wed)

So main points are:

1. allowed providers or preferred providers
2. suggestions for providers ﹣ I'd prefer a fullservice provider
3. Union rules ﹣ how does this work with different unions and outside providers, given that we're using both the Theatre and the Convention Centre

It would be cool to have some comments fairly quickly, only because I'm here at the moment.

Cheers,
Steve.

The easy answer is OSA (On Stage Audio) and their sister company Media Solutions for video. They are each at the top of the game, and OSA is Chicago based.

Mac

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:43:33 AM »

You might also want to give TC Furlong a call.  I am in no way associated with them, but the do a great job.

Bill 
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »

You might also want to give TC Furlong a call.  I am in no way associated with them, but the do a great job.

Bill

Yes, another excellent Chicago supplier.

Steve Anderson

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »

Thanks for the info guys, will call them this morning.

Any tips regarding the union/venue stuff? It's just completely foreign to me.

Cheers!

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:19:39 AM »

Cheers!

It has been a few years since I lived in Illinois, but McCormick used to have the rap of being one of the hardest venue's to work in in the US.  There used to be and possibly still is some weird stuff involving IBEW and stuff like that.  I would trust your contractor to walk the walk with the local staff there and deal with it.  If you have any questions ask.  If your wondering if you can mix or something like that, just ask.  Most unions are fine with that as long as they have someone there to do that same job. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 11:28:05 AM »

Cheers!

When you talk to OSA and TC Furlong, they will be familiar with the situation. The last time I was in the Arie Crown the stagehands did the stage, and the IBEW electricians did the house, including cameramen.

Mac

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 01:17:32 PM »

Cheers!
We have a show in up there in September and my understanding is that it is all union for load-in to electric to setup and tear down.  The only thing that we can do is give direction and run the lights and sound for the show.

Actually, it makes it a fairly easy day for us.

Bill  8)
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »

We have a show in up there in September and my understanding is that it is all union for load-in to electric to setup and tear down.  The only thing that we can do is give direction and run the lights and sound for the show.

Bill  8)

i work in mccormick all the time and thats basically the case but you do have to have enough guys on hand to watch the union guys.  some are good some are terrible.  I have one of my guys for every 3 union guys so we can monitor everything they do.  Its horribly inefficient but it is what it is.

TC Furlong is who i would use for the type of gig you are talking about.  Im a competitor but have worked with them for 15 years.  For the gear you are looking for, they are a great source in chicago.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »

Bill  8)

That's what we're there for, Bill.  An easy day.

McCormick Place itself involves Teamsters (unload truck, get stuff to the yellow line), IATSE hands (move gear from yellow line onto stage) and IBEW (who handle all wires or cables).  15 years ago the unions took breaks in sequence and things took 30% longer than I anticipated.  I don't know if things are the same these days.

The local vendor you hire will know the current situation and work rules.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.