ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Which amp for subs? FP14000?  (Read 11324 times)

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
Which amp for subs? FP14000?
« on: May 27, 2014, 06:04:08 PM »

I'm currently running 2-4 QW218 depending on event. I use a single PL380 to run them in both configurations of 2 or 4.  I want to get a different amp so I can use the PL380 for other purpose. I'm considering getting an fp14000 for subs, but I want to add two more subs for larger events for a total of six QW218.  If I get an fp14000 I won't have an amp for the third pair of subs.
My questions are:
What amp configuration would you recommend?  I do NOT want to run amps in bridge mode. Is there an amp I could get in addition to the fp14000 to run third set of subs?  Or what other amps configurations do you recommend?  Also, I'm not a fan of on-board digital processing.  I prefer higher quality amps, but I'm open for suggestions.  I currently use all PL3 series, so equal or better quality.
I guess the real question is: do I need to maintain watts, ohm, load ratios across all subs?  Or can the third set be run off a sub with different ratings as long as the subs are adequately powered?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Which amp for subs? FP14000?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:05:55 PM »

If you don't mind switching brands:

http://www.speakerpower.net/rack-mount-models.html
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 06:26:04 PM »

If you don't mind switching brands:

http://www.speakerpower.net/rack-mount-models.html

Doug,
I'm not familiar with that brand.  Could you elaborate on their build and quality?  Also, I don't see binding posts, not that it matters much I guess.  What configuration are you suggesting with these amps?  I also have to consider plugging into 20amp outlets in some venues. 

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:41:22 PM »

I guess the real question is: do I need to maintain watts, ohm, load ratios across all subs?  Or can the third set be run off a sub with different ratings as long as the subs are adequately powered?

If you're happy now with the QSC PL3 series, I would stick with them.  Having common models and even series allows you to swap things around for special jobs.

Nothing says you have to have the same load on each amp, or even on each amp channel.  If you have two PL380s running the subs, I would put 2 cabinets on the left side of the first amp, one on the right, one on the left side of the second amp, and then two on the remaining channel.  Each amp is equal (I know I said they didn't have to be), so if you have a 240V distro available, put one on each side to balance the electrical load.  Regardless of load on the amp, its gain (in dB) remains the same, so you don't have to change anything in your processing (I assume you have some sort of outboard DSP).  In theory, the channels loaded to 2Ω will limit first if the amp determines the limiting, but if the DSP determines the peak output, the channels should behave exactly the same.  In the unlikely event that you lose a channel, you can still run all 6 boxes off 3 channels of amplification.

GTD

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »

If you're happy now with the QSC PL3 series, I would stick with them.  Having common models and even series allows you to swap things around for special jobs.

Nothing says you have to have the same load on each amp, or even on each amp channel.  If you have two PL380s running the subs, I would put 2 cabinets on the left side of the first amp, one on the right, one on the left side of the second amp, and then two on the remaining channel.  Each amp is equal (I know I said they didn't have to be), so if you have a 240V distro available, put one on each side to balance the electrical load.  Regardless of load on the amp, its gain (in dB) remains the same, so you don't have to change anything in your processing (I assume you have some sort of outboard DSP).  In theory, the channels loaded to 2Ω will limit first if the amp determines the limiting, but if the DSP determines the peak output, the channels should behave exactly the same.  In the unlikely event that you lose a channel, you can still run all 6 boxes off 3 channels of amplification.

GTD

The QW218 is a double 18" - 4 ohm cabinet, so I can only run 2 cabinets off each side of the PL380.  They are a bit underpowered, but the configuration does handle most jobs.  Some jobs just need more rig for the gig I suppose.

Thanks for your replies.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »

Doug,
I'm not familiar with that brand.  Could you elaborate on their build and quality?  Also, I don't see binding posts, not that it matters much I guess.  What configuration are you suggesting with these amps?  I also have to consider plugging into 20amp outlets in some venues.

Paul Bell is using them and he's picky about these things.  Brian got started with plate amps for loudspeakers then moved to rack mount.  Danley Sound Labs is using these as OEM. I think BASSBOSS is using the plate models. 

Read up about the amps on the speakerpower web site. Brian did a comparison between brands, so read it in the proper context.  I just used them in Miami for EDM in March and was very pleased.  In one case, someone dropped a five second bass note and there was no sag.  They seem to be easy on the AC as well.

If I were buying sub amps today, I'm certain this is what I would choose, barring unknown problems.  I am not aware of any, though. 
It's got electrolytes. 

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:02:04 PM »

I just used them in Miami for EDM in March and was very pleased.  In one case, someone dropped a five second bass note and there was no sag.  They seem to be easy on the AC as well.

And during a "miscommunication" on my part, the actual load on the sub amp was 4x 4 ohms cabinets per channel-so a 1 ohm load.  Kinda below the rated specs-but nobody knew any different-until now :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 12:02:12 AM »

PK sound also uses the SpeakerPower plate amps in their tour grade subs.

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 02:18:03 PM »

And during a "miscommunication" on my part, the actual load on the sub amp was 4x 4 ohms cabinets per channel-so a 1 ohm load.  Kinda below the rated specs-but nobody knew any different-until now :)

I spoke to Paul Bell this morning in fact, and he tells me the amp will sustain max power for 4 seconds before it starts to sag.  So maybe it was a 4 second drop.  OTOH it was not anywhere near max output. But it was hella impressive, even more so with the crazy low nominal impedance. 

It was actually 3x 4 ohm subs per channel.  Two NL4s on the output panel, so I jumped two per stack.  Yeah, a bit of miscommunication but what a test of the amplifier.  Also, we were running 240v off the genset.  The meters barely moved.

For anyone using distro setups exclusively: if you're not running subs at 208v or 240v, you're missing out.

These speakerpower amps are badass.
It's got electrolytes. 

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »

I spoke to Paul Bell this morning in fact, and he tells me the amp will sustain max power for 4 seconds before it starts to sag.  So maybe it was a 4 second drop.  OTOH it was not anywhere near max output. But it was hella impressive, even more so with the crazy low nominal impedance. 

It was actually 3x 4 ohm subs per channel.  Two NL4s on the output panel, so I jumped two per stack.  Yeah, a bit of miscommunication but what a test of the amplifier.  Also, we were running 240v off the genset.  The meters barely moved.

For anyone using distro setups exclusively: if you're not running subs at 208v or 240v, you're missing out.

These speakerpower amps are badass.
TH118 and SH96HO in blaze orange?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.