ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: usb-dmx converters and usb device servers  (Read 5586 times)

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
usb-dmx converters and usb device servers
« on: May 31, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »

I have been contemplating ditching my light board in favor of a computer/usb to dbx converter combo.
It has occurred to me that it should be possible to develop a wireless option using a wireless usb device server with the usb to dmx converter.  Has any one tried this?
Doug J.

Josh Daws

Re: usb-dmx converters and usb device servers
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 07:55:21 PM »

ok so myself personally have a martin DMX USB DUO. The Martin MPC software is completely free. You connect the laptop to a wireless router and instantly you have wireless control via iPad/Android, or anything else thats using TouchOSC.

you can use a console alongside with the laptop, and control the software via configurable DMX ports. i find that for the $500CA is the best value for money device out there. outside of maybe the Enttec DMX USB Pro. of which by the way will work with the MPC software.

there is a lot more that this software can do, including scheduling, MIDI, RDM.

i hope it helps...

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:36:58 AM »

I think that wifi router+artnet node is superior to wifi usb extender. You can run the node on a small computer like raspberry.

Note: I don't use either.

Doug Johnson

• Rhoadesville, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 07:54:02 AM »

Using a remote host is actually one of the things I am trying to avoid in this case, one venue I am doing over the summer doesn't really offer a safe place to set up a host.  My main objective in this is to avoid having to run a control cable up to the stage.  Its an overhead nightmare (or at least a bad dream) which adds a tall ladder, about 25 minutes to load-in and out and a considerable amount of cable.  I could simply get a Wireless DMX transmitter/receiver system, but as I am also thinking about switching away from a hardware controller, this solution occurred to me.  Also, I would not be using a "simple" usb extender, it would be an industrial grade usb device server. I recently made the switch over on the audio side to an Ethernet based network after about 15 years of using remote desktop and have a couple of pieces of equipment left over that would allow me to do this.
Doug J.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »

Using a remote host is actually one of the things I am trying to avoid in this case, one venue I am doing over the summer doesn't really offer a safe place to set up a host.  My main objective in this is to avoid having to run a control cable up to the stage.  Its an overhead nightmare (or at least a bad dream) which adds a tall ladder, about 25 minutes to load-in and out and a considerable amount of cable.  I could simply get a Wireless DMX transmitter/receiver system, but as I am also thinking about switching away from a hardware controller, this solution occurred to me.  Also, I would not be using a "simple" usb extender, it would be an industrial grade usb device server. I recently made the switch over on the audio side to an Ethernet based network after about 15 years of using remote desktop and have a couple of pieces of equipment left over that would allow me to do this.
Doug J.
Your first problem is going to be finding a wireless USB extender that'll work. I don't believe the wireless USB boxes you're referring to work the way you think they work. But I could be wrong.

The alternative solution is to get a network--USB based system such as LumiDesk. In that case, the 'dongle' IS the computer/host. Connect that to any wifi router, and you can control your lighting remotely via whatever.

Jason Joseph

• Vibrant Soundz
    • VibrantSoundz.net
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 02:41:55 PM »

I use this..
Showxpress to transmitter. Receivers on the other end.. 512 universe.

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »

I doubt anyone here will agree with me on this, but (if you play there very often) I would consider just running a couple of pcs of cat5 cables and tying them in place. Leave it for the next time. If it adds 25mins to your setup one time, and saves you 25mins for the rest of the shows it might be worth it.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.