ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha 01v96i and Pro Tools Clock Question  (Read 4461 times)

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
Yamaha 01v96i and Pro Tools Clock Question
« on: May 29, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »

I am going to record some tracks directly from my 01v96i into Pro Tolls 11. Do I need to do anything time code wise? Assuming the 01v96i is the master?

Seems silly, but I know I have the 01v96i set as master and have my external AD/DA using the mixers clock via the coax. Did not know if this is something I need to deal with when using Pro Tools or if just the USB is handling everything???
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Yamaha 01v96i and Pro Tools Clock Question
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:57:42 PM »

I am going to record some tracks directly from my 01v96i into Pro Tolls 11. Do I need to do anything time code wise? Assuming the 01v96i is the master?

Seems silly, but I know I have the 01v96i set as master and have my external AD/DA using the mixers clock via the coax. Did not know if this is something I need to deal with when using Pro Tools or if just the USB is handling everything???

It is hard to know without a description of how your system is hooked. How does audio get from mics to PT?

Mac

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:22 PM »

Mics and instruments into 01v96i inputs and/or PreSonus DigiMAX D8 inputs. The PreSonus is using the 01v96i clock via coax. Then patching 16 channels from the 01v96i into the USB to ProTools.

The "i" model 01v96 has 16 channels out over USB to the DAW.
Steven Alves

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »

Anything that's digital must be clocked to something. Look at it from Pro Tools' perspective: what can Pro Tools clock to? Well, obviously, it is connected to the 01v via USB and that is the only connection, thus the 01v is essentially an audio interface in that role. So in software on the computer, you identify the 01v as the master clock. That should be very clear in Yamaha's driver control panel or whatever software of their's you must install on your computer. If not, it may be directly available within one of the Pro Tools setup menus.

Timecode is not the right word to use, as that's something else entirely.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 06:23:35 PM »

I have the 01v96i set as the master clock. My question is how does pro tools know to use the 01v96i clock.
Steven Alves

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 01:13:08 AM »

I have the 01v96i set as the master clock. My question is how does pro tools know to use the 01v96i clock.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to worry about clocking in this case.  ProTools will lock to whatever interface you're using over USB.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

Timecode and word clock are different things.  Unless you are doing automation of the 01v96 from ProTools, you likely don't need to worry about timecode.  If the 01v is your only interface, I would assume that ProTools will automatically select that as the master word clock.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 08:31:46 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.