ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Picking my new top speakers...  (Read 6832 times)

Mike Sullivan

Picking my new top speakers...
« on: May 26, 2014, 01:35:45 PM »

Looking to pick up a pair of speakers for my new rig to replace my QSC rig.  Been using 2 KW153's over 4 KW181's but I'm selling the system to switch to a more "portable" rig.  I have decided to try the RCF SUB 8004's as my subs, but I'm looking for a good set of tops to go over them.  Mostly small bar and outdoor festivals, nothing big, but I plan on adding a second pair of SUB 8004's down the road, so having a little headroom would be nice.  Deciding between the RCF ART 712/722 and the RCF HD32a.  The HD32a is cheaper and has a bigger HF driver (3") but I just wonder if they have the same/better quality as the 722.  Which would you choose out of the two? 
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Simon Hutson

Re: Picking my new top speakers...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 02:05:59 PM »

I bought the HD12a after auditioning it against the 712, as it seemed better at handling vocals over a complex mix. It also sounded much tighter in the low frequencies, and was superb when bass guitar was DI'd into it.

I was advised that the 722/HD32a would have too much "high" frequency for smaller indoor gigs, and were better suited to larger venues where "throw" was more important (outdoors etc.). Something to do with the lower crossover frequency and beaming effect, although I have to admit that I just nodded and smiled politely, assuming the chap knew more than me about such things :D

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »

I bought the HD12a after auditioning it against the 712, as it seemed better at handling vocals over a complex mix. It also sounded much tighter in the low frequencies, and was superb when bass guitar was DI'd into it.

I was advised that the 722/HD32a would have too much "high" frequency for smaller indoor gigs, and were better suited to larger venues where "throw" was more important (outdoors etc.). Something to do with the lower crossover frequency and beaming effect, although I have to admit that I just nodded and smiled politely, assuming the chap knew more than me about such things :D

Well this system would be used for essentially both, some small bars (Which in the real small ones I may opt for my ART 312a's instead), the second system I'm wanting to do will have a set of ART 712's and will probably be more dedicated to small venues.

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 12:05:42 AM »

Looking to pick up a pair of speakers for my new rig to replace my QSC rig.  Been using 2 KW153's over 4 KW181's but I'm selling the system to switch to a more "portable" rig.  I have decided to try the RCF SUB 8004's as my subs...

Sorry, I have no advice on the RCF tops, but would love to get your feedback on the 8004 subs as compared to the KW181 after you've had a chance to play with them.

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »

Hi there,

I am also very interested in hearing your comments about the 8004 v.s the KW181, I know the 8004 is twice the price of the KW. I am also waiting the new EV ETX-118, which some have commented is better then the JBL and the QSC offerings.

Tops: The new RCF ART-745 looks interesting on paper.

Bang for the buck is the Yamaha DSR-112  Nice sounding speaker, that can handle a lot of abuse too !
Renard from Curacao

cliff truesdell

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »

You might as well look into the NX line too.

bruce gering

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 12:39:07 PM »

Hi Mike. It just so happens that I have the same exact rig for my B rig. I wouldn't trade it for the world. That rig has paid for itself over and over again, sounds great, is very easy to set up, nice and punchy, I love it!.....just sayin!

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »

I have been looking into the NX series boxes, but a little too far out of my budget range right now.

Hi Mike. It just so happens that I have the same exact rig for my B rig. I wouldn't trade it for the world. That rig has paid for itself over and over again, sounds great, is very easy to set up, nice and punchy, I love it!.....just sayin!

Thanks Bruce.  Just to clarify, what rig exactly?  Lol

John Jow

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:32:21 PM »

Hi Mike!

Would like to hear an update to see if you bought the RCF HD32 or not. I'm also considering in buying them but would want to hear what other people thoughts are about it. My dealer says they are back-ordered so I'm assuming sound companies or individuals are buying them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 06:32:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 1.373 seconds with 25 queries.