ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New to Live Pro Audio, I Really Need Help.  (Read 13818 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: New to Live Pro Audio, I Really Need Help.
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 02:52:18 AM »

I hate to be the one to sound like a jerk here but, if you don't know how to even connect up a basic system you really shouldn't be trying it.

How else are people going to learn?  None of us were born with the knowledge of how to connect things up.

We learn by asking questions and experimenting.

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 03:20:24 AM »

I appreciate everyone helping me out with advice and links to knowledge bases, but redundant responses and things not related to this question are not welcome here and will be ignored.
Be helpful, or be silent on this issue please.

It's a public forum, James, and you get the responses folks provide... but this passive/aggressive bullshit doesn't fly here.   "Thank you.... be silent."  You're the pupil here, and you don't get to decide how the class is taught.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 08:31:53 AM »

An FBQ1502 has High Pass Filter, summing crossover and an EQ, punch this number into eBay 310978574365, it should make you smile. 

This EQ has a sub out but the "high" out is actually still full range.  It will not act as a true crossover.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

James W Thomas

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »

It's a public forum, James, and you get the responses folks provide... but this passive/aggressive bullshit doesn't fly here.   "Thank you.... be silent."  You're the pupil here, and you don't get to decide how the class is taught.
Well sir, I have every RIGHT to tell a troll to keep his yap shut, a person with nothing productive to say is NOT a teacher, in ANY kind of forum, and is actually a hinderance to someone who is genuinely trying to learn something in earnest. I don't view those mocking my conundrum as "teachers", as much as "class bullies" with nothing better to do than rag on others stumbles and trials through their journey.
I was referring to one post, that was just douchey with nothing related to my question in it, and I don't think I was passively aggressive at ALL, in fact I think I pretty much flat out said "Stow it".
If I say be productive or be quiet, that is speaking to those that it applies to.
Are YOU guilty of providing redundant responses to genuine questions?
If not, then my statement should not have offended you or your ego.
I am getting paying gigs, I am actually feeding myself (and THEN some) with this, and therefore am doing what an educated and earnest person would do.
I am furthering my knowledge. I am asking people with the right knowledge, viable and valid questions to expand my own knowledge base.
Regardless of my standing or knowledge, I have every right to ask a question and to slap down b.s. trolling ON said questions.
Passive aggressive THAT, and bugger off.
Others have seen fit and chosen to be helpful beyond belief and expectation while NOT being condescending PR^CKS about it.
Remember that a student can choose his teacher, and not everyone learns best through browbeating and condescension.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »

Well sir, I have every RIGHT to tell a troll to keep his yap shut, a person with nothing productive to say is NOT a teacher, in ANY kind of forum, and is actually a hinderance to someone who is genuinely trying to learn something in earnest. I don't view those mocking my conundrum as "teachers", as much as "class bullies" with nothing better to do than rag on others stumbles and trials through their journey.
I was referring to one post, that was just douchey with nothing related to my question in it, and I don't think I was passively aggressive at ALL, in fact I think I pretty much flat out said "Stow it".
If I say be productive or be quiet, that is speaking to those that it applies to.
I am getting paying gigs, I am actually feeding myself (and THEN some) with this, and therefore am doing what an educated and earnest person would do.
I am furthering my knowledge. I am asking people with the right knowledge, viable and valid questions to expand my own knowledge base.
Regardless of my standing or knowledge, I have every right to ask a question and to slap down b.s. trolling ON said questions.
Others have seen fit and chosen to be helpful beyond belief and expectation while NOT being condescending PR^CKS about it.
Remember that a student can choose his teacher, and not everyone learns best through browbeating and condescension.

Into the Iggy Bin with you.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James W Thomas

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 06:46:59 PM »

To the scores and scores of you that have responded to this and offered very helpful advice, I thank you.
I TRULY have learned a lot here, and i am pretty confident that, though it might not have been the best choice of setup for me, the rig will now function in the capacity I needed it to.
I really appreciate all of the love and support, especially from those who led me on to other places where i could find very easily worded instructions on how to advance my knowledge to more advanced terminology and schema.
Thank you again, so much. This has expanded the ability I have to take jobs I'd previously had to turn down. You've helped feed a person, clothe them, helped them run their business, helped feed their pug and buy her toys, helped keep a girlfriend extremely happy with her "struggling DJ" boyfriend, and just generally shined!
Thanks again, Karma will reward you.
Warm Regards!
                        ~James Thomas~

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: I Really Need Help.
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2014, 07:03:46 PM »

Well sir, I have every RIGHT to tell a troll to keep his yap shut, a person with nothing productive to say is NOT a teacher, in ANY kind of forum, and is actually a hinderance to someone who is genuinely trying to learn something in earnest.

With skin so thin I suggest avoiding the Internet.

Mac
admin

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2014, 07:56:13 PM »

The interesting thing about posting on internet forums is that when potential clients Google you, they find diatribes such as this post.

There's some karma for you...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »

Into the Iggy Bin with you.

Well, gosh, Tim, it's not like your-- what, 30+ years of pro audio experience? would offer him much... right?!? :P

But really, James, I do commend you for coming on to the forums to try and boost your knowledge and skill sets, but please please keep in mind that there are people on here with literally decades of pro audio experience. That is not to say you shouldn't ask what you may think is a silly question, but people like to see a newbie come in with having tried to do it themselves. It appears based on your posts that you have not read the suggestions given by Scott and Rob, and so I would suggest going back and reading those. Then, if there's something that doesn't make sense, ask specific questions to clarify. That way, they see that their contributions have been noticed and appreciated. This also shows that you're learning from other posts on here! (Hint: the "search" function can also help you out a bunch.)

For those posts you feel are not helpful, ignore them for now until you learn enough -- both technical skills as well as the personality of the people involved-- to realise their value. To make a post or two like the ones you have already done so will, unfortunately, damage your reputation on here. People like Tim Mc-- I wasn't kidding. He has decades of experience using systems much larger then you ever thought of, mixing Bands You've Heard Of, and does it very well. Understand, please, that he wants to help you, but he's not going to tolerate you telling him off because you don't like the answers you've received. Yeah, people can be assholes on here at times ("don't you know anything?!?")(And no, not Tim! Don't worry! :P), but remember the ones who are assholes like THAT are not going to be the ones who will necessarily provide useful feedback.

Be humble and modest, and grateful for everything you're told, take another whack at your rig, come up with some new questions as to "why does THIS act in this way," or "how can I make my rig do THAT?" - that shows you're exploring your system capabilities and have an open mind to new ideas.

Just some thoughts...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 08:45:57 PM »

Ray, I quit counting years.  "How young are you, how old am I/Lets count the rings around my eyes." -The Replacements

Dude can be a jerk if he so chooses; I don't see his posts unless someone quotes him.

That said, I think he's fundamentally missing the point that this is a _community_ of like-minded folks, not a living wiki waiting for questions.  Likewise there seems to be some Terminal Uniqueness at play; the reality is that most of the questions have been asked and with patience they will be either answered again or links/searchable hints to prior discussions provided.  New discussion will inevitably follow and it's usually worth it to not be in a hurry.

Some of the folks in our community post specious "facts".  Some folks post advice that is based on too-limited or inappropriate experiences.  We can't change those folks, but we can challenge them when we can demonstrate either better ways/facts or show the errors in their homework.  The reality is that individually we cannot stop folks from posting (unless they get banned, and that's up to the mods), and that's something James will need to deal with.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2014, 08:45:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 23 queries.