ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to Live Pro Audio, I Really Need Help.  (Read 14009 times)

jasonfinnigan

Re: New to Live Pro Audio, I Really Need Help.
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 09:20:21 PM »

The problem is while, people can answer specific questions you ask on a forum but, they can't and/or don't have time to teach people the theory behind everything in a in a forum format so while you may have an idea of how to connect your current setup from what they tell you. But, as soon as something breaks or you are missing it somehow and if you don't understand the reason behind why you do it the way you are - you will be up the creek without a paddle with a very un-happy client.

Yes, you can post specific things for us to comment on and all of us will have varying answers based on our experience but part of it as well is to take it upon yourself to learn and research more. As I said, and I believe someone else said mackie has good resources which I didn't even know. Yamaha, Dave Rat, and many many others have places where you can use as a "starting place" to gain your knowledge. 

A forum just really isn't somewhere that it's easy for someone to ask "tell me all the bascis" especially when there are great resources geared for beginners and experienced alike.

Just my 2 Cents

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »

Well sir, I have every RIGHT to tell a troll to keep his yap shut, a person with nothing productive to say is NOT a teacher, in ANY kind of forum, and is actually a hinderance to someone who is genuinely trying to learn something in earnest. I don't view those mocking my conundrum as "teachers", as much as "class bullies" with nothing better to do than rag on others stumbles and trials through their journey.
I was referring to one post, that was just douchey with nothing related to my question in it, and I don't think I was passively aggressive at ALL, in fact I think I pretty much flat out said "Stow it".
If I say be productive or be quiet, that is speaking to those that it applies to.
Are YOU guilty of providing redundant responses to genuine questions?
If not, then my statement should not have offended you or your ego.
I am getting paying gigs, I am actually feeding myself (and THEN some) with this, and therefore am doing what an educated and earnest person would do.
I am furthering my knowledge. I am asking people with the right knowledge, viable and valid questions to expand my own knowledge base.
Regardless of my standing or knowledge, I have every right to ask a question and to slap down b.s. trolling ON said questions.
Passive aggressive THAT, and bugger off.
Others have seen fit and chosen to be helpful beyond belief and expectation while NOT being condescending PR^CKS about it.
Remember that a student can choose his teacher, and not everyone learns best through browbeating and condescension.

Gee, and I thought you were a guest here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2014, 10:02:50 PM »

mackie has good resources

Yeah, ever read the users manuals for their gear? Not only are they super straight forward (Hey, look, XLR goes FROM the mixer TO the amplifier, and it will only fit one direction.) but they have a good amount of snark to them as well.

A forum just really isn't somewhere that it's easy for someone to ask "tell me all the bascis" especially when there are great resources geared for beginners and experienced alike.

Exactly. And that is why I advocated to the OP to jump into his rig, play with things, and learn why they do what they do. There's going to need to be a lot of hands on trial-and-error involved, and then when he comes up against something he can't explain, that's where a) the forum's search tool can be used and then b) we can help on a more public basis.

But, there has to be a certain amount of determination to actually *learn* the skills, as opposed to "Just tell me the answer to my situation." Seems like we get a lot of those at times. (I remember Sky Miller... lol.)

So, James, let's get back to your situation. Have you read Rob and Scott's posts? Where are you at with your configuration? Let's see if we can make your rig the best it can be!

-Ray

(Of course, I gotta be careful now... my "+1 Guy" thread got locked... haha. awkward.)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:12:11 PM by Ray Aberle »
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2014, 11:13:15 PM »

Ray, I quit counting years.  "How young are you, how old am I/Lets count the rings around my eyes." -The Replacements

Dude can be a jerk if he so chooses; I don't see his posts unless someone quotes him.

That said, I think he's fundamentally missing the point that this is a _community_ of like-minded folks, not a living wiki waiting for questions.  Likewise there seems to be some Terminal Uniqueness at play; the reality is that most of the questions have been asked and with patience they will be either answered again or links/searchable hints to prior discussions provided.  New discussion will inevitably follow and it's usually worth it to not be in a hurry.

Some of the folks in our community post specious "facts".  Some folks post advice that is based on too-limited or inappropriate experiences.  We can't change those folks, but we can challenge them when we can demonstrate either better ways/facts or show the errors in their homework.  The reality is that individually we cannot stop folks from posting (unless they get banned, and that's up to the mods), and that's something James will need to deal with.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

The challenging is where the real knowledge transfer happens.  If you think you are right and say something stupid you deserve to be called out.  I am a moderator on an IT forum for an Open Source application.  The degree of entitlement is beyond annoying.  They seem to think we came to understand through divine intervention.  Never thinking of the endless nights of trial and error, studying, learning by answering others questions.

I answered your question because I am new, and wanted to give back where I could.  It doesn't mean I didn't make shake my head.  I am glad you are making a living at this, you must be a hell of a talented DJ.  I haven't seen an answer to my question on what kind of music you play though I have a few more posts to digest.

It is surprising if you can go into a club and "patch into their system" as you say that a basic signal chain eludes you.  I shudder to think how you are going to manage gain structure with the where should I set the know mentality.  You have ears, you know what something should sound like.

Also if a Behringer $200 sub is a budget buster I hate to tell you but you are judged by that.  I can't imagine showing up to a gig with this gear and no matter what you do it is not going to sound good (muddy low end, brittle highs and lack of overall detail).  If you push it and try and play loud it is going to sound painful. 

Maybe you live in a rural area that simply doesn't have clients that appreciate quality sound and you would not get return on investment for quality gear that will hold up for you.  Heck a case for your amp will cost almost as much as the amp.

In a major market you would not get hired with that gear.

Certainly I wish you well and I hope this works out for you.  If you have questions ask away, as in life you may not like the answers but you can't complain about the cost.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

James W Thomas

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »

Yeah, ever read the users manuals for their gear? Not only are they super straight forward (Hey, look, XLR goes FROM the mixer TO the amplifier, and it will only fit one direction.) but they have a good amount of snark to them as well.

Exactly. And that is why I advocated to the OP to jump into his rig, play with things, and learn why they do what they do. There's going to need to be a lot of hands on trial-and-error involved, and then when he comes up against something he can't explain, that's where a) the forum's search tool can be used and then b) we can help on a more public basis.

But, there has to be a certain amount of determination to actually *learn* the skills, as opposed to "Just tell me the answer to my situation." Seems like we get a lot of those at times. (I remember Sky Miller... lol.)

So, James, let's get back to your situation. Have you read Rob and Scott's posts? Where are you at with your configuration? Let's see if we can make your rig the best it can be!

-Ray

(Of course, I gotta be careful now... my "+1 Guy" thread got locked... haha. awkward.)

Thanks Ray!  :)
I went ahead and ordered a duplicate Behringer sub, and a Behringer CX2310 X-Over.
I kept it proprietary. The reason my budget is so tight is I've purchased a complete mobile system in a matter of months out of pocket, and I'm pretty budget conscious when it comes to things that will most likely become components in a larger setup, or even augmentations to a venues existing system on occassion.
I utilized the advice here, and I am actually pretty impressed with the capability. Maybe it's because I stayed within a line of products meant to work together? No idea. But I'm not displeased at all.
I'll be getting myself a set of larger monitors as well.
It took a while to follow all of the leads here and I'm still doing so, but for the most part I'm getting the hang of this.
I appreciate the offer to help and everyone who stayed on topics posts as well.
I learned a great deal.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.