ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you send the same signal to differant amps  (Read 4669 times)

John Luty

how do you send the same signal to differant amps
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:03:36 PM »

the obvious solution would be to use y cables .Is this a good way to go or is there a better way ?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: how do you send the same signal to differant amps
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »

the obvious solution would be to use y cables .Is this a good way to go or is there a better way ?

Either the amplifier's loop-through connections (Crown, Crest) or XLR y-cords.  Typically you can feed 8 or 10 amplifiers this way.  If you need more or if this presents too much of a load to the console or DSP output, audio distribution amps are used.  In the Ye Olde Dayz the Aphex 120 seemed to be the DA of choice.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 07:14:15 PM »

Either the amplifier's loop-through connections (Crown, Crest) or XLR y-cords.  Typically you can feed 8 or 10 amplifiers this way.  If you need more or if this presents too much of a load to the console or DSP output, audio distribution amps are used.  In the Ye Olde Dayz the Aphex 120 seemed to be the DA of choice.

As much as I hate to pile on "tell us more info!" -- if we knew what kind of amplifiers you are dealing with, that would be super helpful. QSC amps, for example, have the "parallel inputs" option, where you can XLR in and 1/4" output to the next amplifier in the rack.

Tim's spot on re Crown/Crest and XLR loop throughs as well.

So what are you working with??

Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 07:19:30 PM »

As much as I hate to pile on "tell us more info!" -- if we knew what kind of amplifiers you are dealing with, that would be super helpful. QSC amps, for example, have the "parallel inputs" option, where you can XLR in and 1/4" output to the next amplifier in the rack.

Tim's spot on re Crown/Crest and XLR loop throughs as well.

So what are you working with??

Ray

Not sure if they still wire it this way, but also Ye Olde Dayz - the QSC TRS jacks had + on RING. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »

Not sure if they still wire it this way, but also Ye Olde Dayz - the QSC TRS jacks had + on RING.
And to add more "historic" information-many amps of years ago had an UNBALANCED input.

Yes they often had a XLR-but it was unbalanced.  And different amps used pins 2 and 3 as the hot.

So you HAD to be careful how the cables were wired.

At least the Yamaha P2200 (a classic) had a switch on the rear panel that you could select either pin 2 or pin 3 as hot.

So as usual-it depends.  And since we don't know what we are dealing with-it could be any number of different ways to wire things.

Details ARE important!
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »

QSC explained this by stating: "The tip of an unbalanced 1/4-inch plug has been made negative (inverting) because it is far more stable in systems which are subject to complex ground loops."
Wouldn't mind hearing the science or electronics behind that...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

John Luty

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 04:59:15 PM »

this was a generic question so the "more info " is that I don't have any more info. sometime in the future I'll be adding "more rig" to my rig and wasn't sure how it was done. Right now I am using QSC GX7 s but was asked to do an outside show knowing I didn't have enough I passed

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 06:37:30 PM »

this was a generic question so the "more info " is that I don't have any more info. sometime in the future I'll be adding "more rig" to my rig and wasn't sure how it was done. Right now I am using QSC GX7 s but was asked to do an outside show knowing I didn't have enough I passed
So the best advice is to use more of the same amps and simply Y the output to the inputs.

It is NOT OK to Y outputs to a single input however. That is a completely different set of issues

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

John Luty

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »

Ivan that much I did know I was just curious as how to send one signal to 2 + amps . The outside party I was asked to do offered to get so and so's amps and someone else speakers to get big enough to do it Ummm thanks but no thanks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »

Ivan that much I did know I was just curious as how to send one signal to 2 + amps . The outside party I was asked to do offered to get so and so's amps and someone else speakers to get big enough to do it Ummm thanks but no thanks
Getting the signal to the amps is your least concern.

I would be more concerned about mixing different types/brands/models of speakers.

Yes it will get "louder" but in most cases will sound worse the more you add.

I don't care what model number by ANY manufacturer-a SINGLE cabinet will ALWAYS sound better than multiples-PERIOD!

Yes multiples may be louder and have more low freq-but will not sound as good.

Some models work better together than others-but different models are sure to cause problems.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.