ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I WAS thinking about buying a digital mixer  (Read 13452 times)

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: I WAS thinking about buying a digital mixer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »

There will always be something newer and better coming out a few years from now.

The current crop of low cost digital consoles are wonderful tools, and the price point that they are at makes them affordable, even if you have to replace it in a few years when the new stuff comes out.

What you will see going away very quickly is the concept of an analog snake run back to FOH.  The next step (which some systems already offer) is that no audio is actually run to FOH.  This way, if the cable gets cut, the system keeps on going. 

The link to FOH could be wireless with this sort of system, however, wireless = more chances of interference than a wired system.  In a low demand situation, it's awesome, but bigger shows will still be connected via a wire for some time.

If your mix whiz is still doing its job (and it probably will for a very long time) then there's no real rush to replace it.  Moving into one of the entry level digital boards would give you access to the bells and whistles, making mixing easier.  However, if you're just doing sound for your own band, the digital board isn't going to make you any more money. 
Brian Jojade

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »

Yes. This would have been my preference prior to actually going digital, because I'd like to see all my controls at one time, but everyone working with MI equipment is already accustomed to using something as small as an Ipad that they can carry around in one hand. I doubt many of us would actually switch back to having a console size unit that we need to plant on a table even if it is wireless. I don't usually have a place to sit with my Ipad let alone a console. And I'm still going to want my Ipad for setting monitor mixes.

I think this will be the trend for bands with BE's, but for [many?] bands that mix from stage (like my current one does) the comfort level with a X32 rack/Ipad configuration simply isn't there yet. That may change over time...    And yes, we do gigs with venue provided FOH/BE about 30% of the time, but the fear of not being able to go "grab a fader" when using our own PA is a big deal for them.  They DID sell the current Mackie mixer and have an X32 Producer on order, so the next big advantage is being able to get a baseline FOH mix with the iPad, from OUT front!  vs. relying on one of the entourage for mix feedback. ..

And yes, many places we play do NOT want an FOH position, do NOT have the space, and really don't care if we have a BE or not.  It saves on our co$t$, but as a regional band, we are going to have to address the "BE" aspect before too much longer, even if it's merely someone with an iPad pushing faders... :)

Baby steps..

Joey Breaux

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 10:53:39 AM »

I am 80% sure I want the A&H QU16. Can it interface with more than one iPad set the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 03:04:53 PM »

I am 80% sure I want the A&H QU16. Can it interface with more than one iPad set the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 03:08:04 PM »

My primary attraction to digital boards is processing consolidation done cheap.
I have a MixWiz and can't imagine I'll throw it overboard anytime soon.
But I have to say, that as digital boards costing around $2500 or less keep entering the market, with compression, delay, crossover, FX, gating and EQ on every channel, I am tempted because piecemealing all that is costly and I would have to guess how many compression channels I really need, etc.

So what I would love to see is a series of digital processing units that give you say, 16, 24, 32 or 48 channels of dsp that can be added via inserts along with its own insert, than can be added to the analog board of your choice. I understand you wouldn't have recallable subgroups and the like in this unit, but frankly, I don't need those. Let's say a 16 channel version costs me $1000 to $1500. I get to keep the familiarity, reliability and high quality of the analog board I love, plus gain all that DSP much cheaper than multiple units that take up lots of physical space and add to weight.

The form factor I'm envisioning would be a 1u rackmount with a wifi interface to the iPad, but just like the x32, it could be offered in that compact package or ones with more of a surface.

To my way of thinking, this is similar to a loudspeaker management system like the DriveRack where you have multiple digital processing functions in one box, separate from the speakers or amps whereas an active box would have it all combined into one box. Sometimes you just love your passive speakers and want all the processing to be small and inexpensive.

If a full on x32 can be had for what? a little over $2000 IIRC? then a subset of its abilities should cost less.

So they can keep tempting me with entry level digital, but THAT is what I would want.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 03:50:41 PM »

My primary attraction to digital boards is processing consolidation done cheap.
I have a MixWiz and can't imagine I'll throw it overboard anytime soon.
But I have to say, that as digital boards costing around $2500 or less keep entering the market, with compression, delay, crossover, FX, gating and EQ on every channel, I am tempted because piecemealing all that is costly and I would have to guess how many compression channels I really need, etc.

So what I would love to see is a series of digital processing units that give you say, 16, 24, 32 or 48 channels of dsp that can be added via inserts along with its own insert, than can be added to the analog board of your choice. I understand you wouldn't have recallable subgroups and the like in this unit, but frankly, I don't need those. Let's say a 16 channel version costs me $1000 to $1500. I get to keep the familiarity, reliability and high quality of the analog board I love, plus gain all that DSP much cheaper than multiple units that take up lots of physical space and add to weight.

The form factor I'm envisioning would be a 1u rackmount with a wifi interface to the iPad, but just like the x32, it could be offered in that compact package or ones with more of a surface.

To my way of thinking, this is similar to a loudspeaker management system like the DriveRack where you have multiple digital processing functions in one box, separate from the speakers or amps whereas an active box would have it all combined into one box. Sometimes you just love your passive speakers and want all the processing to be small and inexpensive.

If a full on x32 can be had for what? a little over $2000 IIRC? then a subset of its abilities should cost less.

So they can keep tempting me with entry level digital, but THAT is what I would want.
All that sounds good in theory but I doubt that a manufacturer could make such a box that was more cost effective than something like the x32 Rack and it's a full mixer. IMO such a setup would be over complicated; you'd need a computer or tablet to control the added DSP. IMO it also eliminates one of the best parts of a digital mixer setup, the digital snake. I long for the day I get a digital board and snake so I don't have to drag my analog one out again. In reality I'll probably get something like the x32 Rack and mix from a laptop + iPad and maybe a MIDI fader bank or two. I think Behringer should start selling a small wireless x32 Rack control surface with maybe 8 motorized and some relevant buttons/encoders; that plus a laptop or iPad would make a pretty sweet, wireless, FOH setup.

But like you I'm probably dreaming.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 04:06:37 PM »

No.  As a specialty item with limited marketability to a few impractical dreamers it would be more expensive.  You're completely missing the economy of scale.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 04:23:54 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Brian Jones

• Modesto, CA
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »

No.  As a specialty item with limited marketability to a few impractical dreamers it would be more expensive.  You're completely missing the economy of scale.

Although I understand economies of scale, you're right. I didn't consider the possibility that my situation and desired solution might not be common enough to warrant a market.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »

Although I understand economies of scale, you're right. I didn't consider the possibility that my situation and desired solution might not be common enough to warrant a market.

The Qu-16  really is a digital MixWiz.  You get all the processing you'll ever want and not have to deal with an insert kludge involving multiple AD/DA conversions.  The big difference is that now you'll have "virtual" cabling.  I felt pretty much the same but sold my trusty 16:2dx with no qualms once I grokked the Qu-16.  It took an hour or so.

Not looking back....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Rob Gow

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »

Mixing with an iPad is really nice. Controlling lights with an iPad is nice as well.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 11:35:23 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.