ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: I WAS thinking about buying a digital mixer  (Read 13596 times)

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
Re: I WAS thinking about buying a digital mixer
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 11:50:34 PM »

All that sounds good in theory but I doubt that a manufacturer could make such a box that was more cost effective than something like the x32 Rack and it's a full mixer. IMO such a setup would be over complicated; you'd need a computer or tablet to control the added DSP. IMO it also eliminates one of the best parts of a digital mixer setup, the digital snake. I long for the day I get a digital board and snake so I don't have to drag my analog one out again. In reality I'll probably get something like the x32 Rack and mix from a laptop + iPad and maybe a MIDI fader bank or two. I think Behringer should start selling a small wireless x32 Rack control surface with maybe 8 motorized and some relevant buttons/encoders; that plus a laptop or iPad would make a pretty sweet, wireless, FOH setup.

But like you I'm probably dreaming.

Behringer has something like that in the works and is possible to a degree now. X32 Core, S16's and the new X- Touch

http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 11:54:29 PM »

Behringer has something like that in the works and is possible to a degree now. X32 Core, S16's and the new X- Touch

That's pretty nice looking. One of those plus a laptop or iPad would make for a slick x32 Rack FOH. Especially if it could be connected wirelessly somehow.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk Pro

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56:27 PM »

Well having on board ethernet, you could use routers to bridge between FOH and RACK to control...should be fairly straight forward...
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 06:44:00 AM »

Mixing with an iPad is really nice. Controlling lights with an iPad is nice as well.

While I only own the DL1608,which is 100% Ipad only controlled,  I have the apps installed on my Ipad for all the other digital mixers I could find and I played around with them as much as I could given I don't have the boards and while the interfaces are different I found them all to be quite user friendly. Seems once you're digital switching boards should be easy.

My next ditigal board has to have 3 major features:
1. Ability to adjust pre-amp settings from Ipad (and save them)
2. 100% functionality available thru the Ipad itself.
3. Ability to run at least 2 Ipads simultaneously. Right now we have 1 person on stage beside the talent doing monitors and another in the house doing mains for sound check. Can't give that up.

I'm not sure every board can do number 2 and I know some cannot do number 3. Some of the apps I have seem to be missing some things that perhaps are only on the physical board. Those are deal breakers for me.

We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

David Jameson

• SR Forums
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »

I'm not sure every board can do number 2

I've had 2 different digital board models do a number 2 on me very well....and at the most inopportune time!!!!

Back to your regularly scheduled program.....
Jameson Productions
Anderson, SC 29625
jameson_prod at bellsouth.net

Scott Bolt

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 06:47:13 PM »

My primary attraction to digital boards is processing consolidation done cheap.
I have a MixWiz and can't imagine I'll throw it overboard anytime soon.
But I have to say, that as digital boards costing around $2500 or less keep entering the market, with compression, delay, crossover, FX, gating and EQ on every channel, I am tempted because piecemealing all that is costly and I would have to guess how many compression channels I really need, etc.

So what I would love to see is a series of digital processing units that give you say, 16, 24, 32 or 48 channels of dsp that can be added via inserts along with its own insert, than can be added to the analog board of your choice. I understand you wouldn't have recallable subgroups and the like in this unit, but frankly, I don't need those. Let's say a 16 channel version costs me $1000 to $1500. I get to keep the familiarity, reliability and high quality of the analog board I love, plus gain all that DSP much cheaper than multiple units that take up lots of physical space and add to weight.

The form factor I'm envisioning would be a 1u rackmount with a wifi interface to the iPad, but just like the x32, it could be offered in that compact package or ones with more of a surface.

To my way of thinking, this is similar to a loudspeaker management system like the DriveRack where you have multiple digital processing functions in one box, separate from the speakers or amps whereas an active box would have it all combined into one box. Sometimes you just love your passive speakers and want all the processing to be small and inexpensive.

If a full on x32 can be had for what? a little over $2000 IIRC? then a subset of its abilities should cost less.

So they can keep tempting me with entry level digital, but THAT is what I would want.

The X32 Rack sells list for $1200.00.  I suspect you could get it close to $1K if you ask around (as soon as the shortage of them recedes ;) ).  It is a 3u unit, but has lots of physical connections on the back and a full LCD and menu control knobs on the front.

There are lots of people that are moving to this setup if they operate a small rig.  I know of lots of others that are incorporating the X32 Rack as their stage boxes using a full X32 as the FOH mixer.  This way they not only have stage boxes, but redundant backup mixers as well.

If you are currently using the DL1608, the X32 Rack would be a big step up in features and sound quality (in particular, the verbs on the X32 are much nicer).

I know that many say you don't need all those features; however, I have found that once you have them, you would be surprised at how many of them you find a use for!

The biggest difference I have found with my band is the ability to do a virtual sound check using multi-track recordings.

We setup and do a sound check recording on stage.  I go into the routing page on my iPad and switch from local inputs to card inputs.  I press "play" on my laptop with Reaper and we all go out front.

We can isolate single channels, change efx sends, modify gate and compression thresholds, change the mix around, etc. all with a single recorded track.

I have been surprised at how good of a mix we can get like this.

The Qu-16 even has this ability built in without the need for the laptop as a recording device (straight to a USB hard disk).  While I wouldn't give up the many other features my X32 Rack has over the Qu-16, I do envy this feature ;)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2014, 09:09:43 PM »

While I only own the DL1608,which is 100% Ipad only controlled,  I have the apps installed on my Ipad for all the other digital mixers I could find and I played around with them as much as I could given I don't have the boards and while the interfaces are different I found them all to be quite user friendly. Seems once you're digital switching boards should be easy.

My next ditigal board has to have 3 major features:
1. Ability to adjust pre-amp settings from Ipad (and save them)
2. 100% functionality available thru the Ipad itself.
3. Ability to run at least 2 Ipads simultaneously. Right now we have 1 person on stage beside the talent doing monitors and another in the house doing mains for sound check. Can't give that up.

I'm not sure every board can do number 2 and I know some cannot do number 3. Some of the apps I have seem to be missing some things that perhaps are only on the physical board. Those are deal breakers for me.

Do you really need 100% per #2 ?

I have 2 pretty high end (compared to Mackie) desks and while the apps have what is needed for mixing, there are certain configuration settings you have to do on the mixer itself. I suggest you think about what you think 100% means.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »

Do you really need 100% per #2 ?

I have 2 pretty high end (compared to Mackie) desks and while the apps have what is needed for mixing, there are certain configuration settings you have to do on the mixer itself. I suggest you think about what you think 100% means.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob, you have a GLD, right?

I mix in a church where the mix at FOH isn't quite representative of the room so I spend a good deal of time sitting out in front of FOH during sound check if I'm trying to dial in something like a multi-band comp. The GLD iPad app doesn't have access to the FX engines so I need to haul out the laptop for that.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2014, 09:25:12 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.