ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need help with wiring live sound  (Read 3989 times)

Harrison Klein

Need help with wiring live sound
« on: June 09, 2014, 07:06:53 PM »

So I know this might be a little (or a lot) on the simple side, but I need some major help. I'm in charge of a social organization that frequently hosts events that require a large amount of sound. In the past we have hired a sound crew and their equipment for larger shows/events. They are good for the occasional large show, but too expensive to use on a weekly basis. I basically want to use the pre-existing equipment that we own and use our own sound. The problem is, is that I have trouble getting it all wired and working. The equipment we currently own is as follows: 2 Peavey 115s, 2 peavey 215s, 1 Double 18" sub, 2 QSC GX5s,1 amp of unknown origin, and 1 Behringer XENYX X1204USB USB Mixer. If anyone could explain to me how to get all this wired and working correctly, with low and high frequencies correct, it would be appreciated. I know I will also need to purchase a crossover...but which one? please help!

Thank you

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Need help with wiring live sound
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »

So I know this might be a little (or a lot) on the simple side, but I need some major help. I'm in charge of a social organization that frequently hosts events that require a large amount of sound. In the past we have hired a sound crew and their equipment for larger shows/events. They are good for the occasional large show, but too expensive to use on a weekly basis. I basically want to use the pre-existing equipment that we own and use our own sound. The problem is, is that I have trouble getting it all wired and working. The equipment we currently own is as follows: 2 Peavey 115s, 2 peavey 215s, 1 Double 18" sub, 2 QSC GX5s,1 amp of unknown origin, and 1 Behringer XENYX X1204USB USB Mixer. If anyone could explain to me how to get all this wired and working correctly, with low and high frequencies correct, it would be appreciated. I know I will also need to purchase a crossover...but which one? please help!

Thank you

Hire a competent tech to set it up for you and train your staff in its operation.

Period.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 08:44:04 PM »

Thank you
Posting the same thing in multiple areas is not a good thing.  It makes it hard for people to give you advice.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »

Posting the same thing in multiple areas is not a good thing.  It makes it hard for people to give you advice.

Ivan...

You take the "big boy" forum, I'll answer here and it doesn't matter what's said about live sound in the DJ forum...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »

Ivan...

You take the "big boy" forum, I'll answer here and it doesn't matter what's said about live sound in the DJ forum...
The answer will all be the same----------------

Just how it is said is the difference ;)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Harrison Klein

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:29:47 PM »

The answer will all be the same----------------

Just how it is said is the difference ;)

Sorry, guys...didn't know how everything worked. Just looking for advice.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »

Sorry, guys...didn't know how everything worked. Just looking for advice.

Hire help...

Robert Weston

• Power is cheap, reputation is not.
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:53:04 PM »

Thank you

Like the others said, hire someone to set it up for you.

Where are you located?  You may be able to find someone on this forum that is near you that could come out and "school" everyone on how to setup/run your system.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »

This event sounds like what many of us would call a corporate show and not just a local band playing on flat bed wagon in the street. If this is indeed a "corporate show" with guest speakers at a podium, some audio support for video, maybe a DJ or band after the presentation is over there are a LOT of details involved other than just making sound come out of a speaker.

Where are these events held, in a big tent, hotel ballroom, outdoors, ect.?
Where does power come from?
Do you have enough cabling to make the crazy long runs sometimes needed to make things look neat and keep cables out of high traffic areas?
Don't think single mic at a podium is going to be easy just because it's only one mic!
If this event is outdoors are you ready for bad weather?
This list could go on and on and on and on.......

If this gig is band playing on the street for a weekly night of music downtown the last minute crazy little details may be less than a full on "corporate gig" but everything else still applies.

In your original post said "frequently host events that require a large amount of sound" Most of us would not consider the equipment you listed as to whats needed to provide a "large amount of sound"

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »

I'll agree with the above that hiring someone to come onsite and train you is going to be the best investment you can make.  Yeah, online forums can help plugging things together, but knowing what to do after that is difficult to put into a few words in a forum.

And as Mike said, a single podium mic can be a LOT more work to sound great than it seems.

Someone that knows what they are doing could get the most out of the gear that you've got, without spending much on additional gear.  You mention that you need a crossover, however, the GX5 has a crossover built in, albeit very limited.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.