ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I WAS thinking about buying a digital mixer  (Read 13454 times)

Joey Breaux

I WAS thinking about buying a digital mixer
« on: May 25, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »

My Mixwiz gen 1 is still doing its job after 10 years. Not even a hiccup. But lately we've been playing some bigger venues and have had to hire pro PA. I can't help but drool over their digital boards.

I don't have a problem with buying leading-edge technology. But I do not buy bleeding-edge tech. As quickly as technology is evolving right now I'm willing to bet that within a couple of years we'll have wireless PA's. My guess is it'll be encompassed around a central wifi network incorporated into the mixer. Each component, ip address, will show up on the mixer.

Am I far off?

Joey

Kyle Van Sandt

Re: I WAS thinking about buying a digital mixer
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 08:34:25 PM »

My Mixwiz gen 1 is still doing its job after 10 years. Not even a hiccup. But lately we've been playing some bigger venues and have had to hire pro PA. I can't help but drool over their digital boards.

I don't have a problem with buying leading-edge technology. But I do not buy bleeding-edge tech. As quickly as technology is evolving right now I'm willing to bet that within a couple of years we'll have wireless PA's. My guess is it'll be encompassed around a central wifi network incorporated into the mixer. Each component, ip address, will show up on the mixer.

Am I far off?

Joey

Not totally... but subtract the wireless thing.  You already can interconnect consoles with processing/amplifiers via IP address.  However, you gain no real benefit going wireless vs what you lose in reliability. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:18:48 PM »

Am I far off?

Joey

You need to look at it according to what capabilities if offers over what you have now. IMO it is a no brainer in 2014.... Newer analog stuff is getting worse and new digital stuff gives you big time capabilities, even if you don t use them right away. Like most things, you don't plan extravagant routing setups with you analog setup, because you can't do it anyway! If you have the ability, you can be creative in good ways, many of which enhance the repeatability of setups which means you can experiment and not get stuck.

Thomas Le

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:20:18 PM »

What's your budget? Do you need more channels?

As far as the wireless thing, we're still wired; Behringer, Presonus and Line 6 are trying the AIO systems by linking speakers with mixers using ethernet.

Craig Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 09:48:41 PM »

Now that the entry level digital is gaining traction, especially surface less solutions like the x32 rack and the Mackie DL1604, and mixing on iPad works well. I think the next will be an extension of the rack unit staying on stage and the FOH console just morphing into a control surface that talks back to the stage via wireless or wifi.

John Moore

• "learning the hard way sucks donkey kong"
    • Trinity Productions
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 12:26:01 AM »

" I'm willing to bet that within a couple of years we'll have wireless PA's."

maybe for control, but for sending signal, no way...you are competing with cell phones, and other things in the 2.4 and 5ghz bands, along with 700mhz and I bet in the next few years 600mhz bands...i am not of fan of the 2.4 and 5.0 ghz mics, etc. as I have talked to too many folks that have issues with them, especially in high/saturated wifi areas...
http://www.trinityprosound.com 209-832-8023
DEALER:Dealer for Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, Danley Sound Labs, VTC, Allen & Heath, Ashly, Denon,  Audix, One Systems, Beyerdynamic, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate,  Trusst, Road Ready, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, dB Technologies, RCF, American Audio,  Rapco, CBI Cables, ADJ, Chauvet, Blizzard, Furman, Shure, Tascam, Elite Screens,  BenQ, Midas, Digico,  and many many more...

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 01:14:24 AM »

I have to agree. Wireless control will get better and better - but the loss of the 600 MHz and etc, the RF spectrum is going to too wild for that sort of thing. Not to say that it's impossible - it's just not going to be worth the trouble or efficient to use RF in that manor.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 07:18:35 AM »

Now that the entry level digital is gaining traction, especially surface less solutions like the x32 rack and the Mackie DL1604, and mixing on iPad works well. I think the next will be an extension of the rack unit staying on stage and the FOH console just morphing into a control surface that talks back to the stage via wireless or wifi.
Yes. This would have been my preference prior to actually going digital, because I'd like to see all my controls at one time, but everyone working with MI equipment is already accustomed to using something as small as an Ipad that they can carry around in one hand. I doubt many of us would actually switch back to having a console size unit that we need to plant on a table even if it is wireless. I don't usually have a place to sit with my Ipad let alone a console. And I'm still going to want my Ipad for setting monitor mixes.

At the Pro level,where you are actually going to get a dedicated FOH location I'd think it would be too risky perhaps to justify going 100% wireless just to not run a couple of Cat5 cables.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »

Yes. This would have been my preference prior to actually going digital, because I'd like to see all my controls at one time, but everyone working with MI equipment is already accustomed to using something as small as an Ipad that they can carry around in one hand. I doubt many of us would actually switch back to having a console size unit that we need to plant on a table even if it is wireless. I don't usually have a place to sit with my Ipad let alone a console. And I'm still going to want my Ipad for setting monitor mixes.

At the Pro level,where you are actually going to get a dedicated FOH location I'd think it would be too risky perhaps to justify going 100% wireless just to not run a couple of Cat5 cables.
This hits the nail on the head. 

Also, there will always be improvements in equipment.  I would ( and did ) ditch the mix wiz now and enjoy the step change in sound and features now.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »

If it works, don't replace it until you have to.

If you want to have fun with a digital board, rent one for a gig now and then. You'll get to learn which ones you like (or don't like) without the burden of owning one.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 22 queries.