ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anything I can do to remove noise from a press mult?  (Read 1839 times)

Justin Goodman

Anything I can do to remove noise from a press mult?
« on: May 31, 2014, 11:16:20 PM »

A gig I do every now and then for one of my regular clients basically entails:
-1 Mic
-1 Mixer
-1 Powered speaker for the ~30-50 people in attendance
-1 Press mult for 10-15 cameras
-*1* battery.  I use the Duracell 600W portable batteries to power my mixer and speaker.  We do this because we're generally 300'+ of very non-negotiable (like streets) terrain away from AC power. 

The battery puts a little bit of noise in the line and a Furman conditioning power strip or rack conditioner doesn't seem to do the trick.  The noise isn't really noticeable through the speaker, but it obviously is to the press.  So rather than using my Whirlwind passive mult (which requires a line level signal), I end up having to rent a powered mult so I can do Mic->Mult->PA by just stealing one of the output channels for the PA.

Obviously, I'd rather use my own gear if possible--it's preferable financially and logistically.  Any advice on trying to get the noise out of the line and preserve the ability to get a line level signal to the mult?  I know it's a battery issue because I use the other gear all the time, and it never has an issue indoors... 

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Anything I can do to remove noise from a press mult?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:29:42 PM »

A gig I do every now and then for one of my regular clients basically entails:
-1 Mic
-1 Mixer
-1 Powered speaker for the ~30-50 people in attendance
-1 Press mult for 10-15 cameras
-*1* battery.  I use the Duracell 600W portable batteries to power my mixer and speaker.  We do this because we're generally 300'+ of very non-negotiable (like streets) terrain away from AC power. 

The battery puts a little bit of noise in the line and a Furman conditioning power strip or rack conditioner doesn't seem to do the trick.  The noise isn't really noticeable through the speaker, but it obviously is to the press.  So rather than using my Whirlwind passive mult (which requires a line level signal), I end up having to rent a powered mult so I can do Mic->Mult->PA by just stealing one of the output channels for the PA.

Obviously, I'd rather use my own gear if possible--it's preferable financially and logistically.  Any advice on trying to get the noise out of the line and preserve the ability to get a line level signal to the mult?  I know it's a battery issue because I use the other gear all the time, and it never has an issue indoors...

Justin,
 Have you tried some of those little honda generators? Super quite and they haven't caused any noise in my experience. My guess is the AC output of that Duracell is less then pristine.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:38:30 PM »

The marching band at a school I do work for has a Duracell portable power unit and it puts a high frequency buzz into their portable system.
I tried audio isolation transformers at various points in the signal path as well as my Furman voltage regulator on the output of the Duracell, nothing really helped.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:38:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.