ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: EAW SB2001 Opinions  (Read 19153 times)

Dave Gunnell

EAW SB2001 Opinions
« on: May 25, 2014, 01:22:09 AM »

Hi All:

Years ago I invested in the EAW BH760 horn loaded sub as my main workhorse sub.  They have worked very well for many years (very efficient, extension to ~30 Hz), but as my business is transitioning from less EDM events to more live sound, I am considering the SB2001.  The 800-pound gorilla down the street from me has dozens of them (and loves them) on their KF740 rig, but our schedules have not yet aligned for an audition.  While I'm waiting for that to happen, what are your experiences with this sub?  I am familiar with the SB1000, but not its big brother.  I will be running KF650z's on top, and I hear that the SB2001 can be crossed a bit higher than 80Hz and sound very good. I also hear it goes stupid low, but requires serious power to really get up and go.  I've heard it arrays very nicely as well.  Any users out there?  What do you think of this sub?

Dave

Frank Czar

• Website
Re: EAW SB2001 Opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 09:13:57 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I would like to hear any opinions on these too....anyone?
Frank Czar
Concert Works
Daytona Beach FL. & US Virgin Islands
www.concertworksvi.com

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 04:01:24 PM »

I AB'ed them with Danley DBH subs a couple years back.  Output and low freq extension were pretty close, but the DBH were more accurate. 

Are you looking to cross rent, and have full EAW system?

Typed on a virtual keyboard. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Peter Morris

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:37:59 PM »

My experience with the 2001 is very limited but I thought they sounded great the few times I have heard them.  I always loved the size and output of the SB1000, but I never really liked the sound quality. In comparison EAW have achieved more output per lb./Cu ft., more LF extension and they sound really nice. Everyone I have spoken to about the 2001’s seems to have a similar opinion.
In comparison to the Danley DBH that Caleb mentioned, the 2001’s are smaller and lighter, 22.5” x 45” x 45”  Vs. 22.6” x 33.5” x 45” and 125Kgs Vs. 91 Kg's.  I have never heard the DBH’s to comment, but I suspect Caleb is correct … there is always a trade-off.   

Its interesting that Caleb thought that they both had similar output, because on paper the Danley appears to have a lot more output, but you have to read the fine print with Danley - they don't quote SPL in W/m! 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 08:49:32 PM by Peter Morris »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 08:58:51 PM »

but you have to read the fine print with Danley - they don't quote SPL in W/m!
And no other manufacturer actually measures in watts.  They ALL use voltage-NOT wattage.  Nobody actually delivers 1 watt across the freq response of the driver.  If they did-then the actual freq response would be all over the amp.

What they DO is to apply a voltage that is the equivalent of 2.83V which would be 1 watt IF the loudspeaker had an impedance of 8 ohms.

But if you look at the actual impedance CURVE (NOT the simple number), you will see that over much of freq response the impedance is not the rated impedance. 

Therefore the wattage is NOT 1 watt.  It can more or less than that.

Danley feels that a more accurate rating of SPL is in terms of an applied voltage-since that is what amplifiers actually deliver.  They do NOT apply a wattage to the loudspeaker.

They apply a voltage, in which the actual power is a result of the applied voltage and the impedance at a particular freq.

So all Danley products are measured as referenced to 2.83V-no matter the impedance.  Some are higher-some are lower.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Peter Morris

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:45:11 PM »

And no other manufacturer actually measures in watts.  They ALL use voltage-NOT wattage.  Nobody actually delivers 1 watt across the freq response of the driver.  If they did-then the actual freq response would be all over the amp.

What they DO is to apply a voltage that is the equivalent of 2.83V which would be 1 watt IF the loudspeaker had an impedance of 8 ohms.

But if you look at the actual impedance CURVE (NOT the simple number), you will see that over much of freq response the impedance is not the rated impedance. 

Therefore the wattage is NOT 1 watt.  It can more or less than that.

Danley feels that a more accurate rating of SPL is in terms of an applied voltage-since that is what amplifiers actually deliver.  They do NOT apply a wattage to the loudspeaker.

They apply a voltage, in which the actual power is a result of the applied voltage and the impedance at a particular freq.

So all Danley products are measured as referenced to 2.83V-no matter the impedance.  Some are higher-some are lower.

I fully understand the impedance issuers; however manufactures normally specify their products as a 1W / 1 m referenced to the nominal impedance 8 or 4 ohms. i.e. 8 ohms @ 2.83 Volts or 4 ohms @ 2 volts.

People use the SPL specification to roughly compare the efficiency of various speakers. While you have all the information on you spec sheet, I think it could be a little misleading as it appears at first glance that your speakers are more efficient than they really are.

eg. Sensitivity - EAW 2001 95 dB    DBH 117dB ... that's a lot of difference until you look more closely.

http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/sb2001/
EAW  - 1W/m

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/tour-sound/vtx-series/g28#Specs
JBL  - 1W/m

http://www.turbosound.com/upload-files/File/datasheets/TSW218_datasheet_v2.0.pdf
Turbosound - 1W/m

http://nexo-sa.com/attachments/products/49/nexo_rs18_datasheet.pdf
Nexo – 1W/m

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/DBH-218-spec-sheet.pdf
Danley – Sensitivity @ 1m  (fine print - 2.83 volts ฝ space) and the nominal impedance is 2 ohms.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 11:51:13 PM by Peter Morris »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 06:56:36 AM »

Quote from: Peter Morris link=topic=149880.msg1375163#msg1375163
Its interesting that Caleb thought that they both had similar output, because on paper the Danley appears to have a lot more output, but you have to read the fine print with Danley - they don't quote SPL in W/m!

The reason I said "similar" was two-fold.  First, I had two EAW's vs one Danley, and second, I'm a huge Danley fan but don't want to be labeled a fanboy.

From memory, the EAW's had UX8800 and a large Lab amp, the Danley was run 2 ohm from an FP14k, HP/LP only.  Client went in assuming the EAW's would be louder and lower, we were both surprised, and ended up using only the Danley that night. 

The other dual 21 I've used more is the RCF.  1:1 it has similar output and extension to a DBH, but not as accurate.  I didn't have it together with the EAW, but would add it and the Fulcrum US221 to the list of modern dual 21 subs.

The DBH is my personal favorite so far, at least until I visit the Danley booth in a few weeks at InfoComm.

Typed on a virtual keyboard. 

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 07:38:48 AM »

I fully understand the impedance issuers; however manufactures normally specify their products as a 1W / 1 m referenced to the nominal impedance 8 or 4 ohms. i.e. 8 ohms @ 2.83 Volts or 4 ohms @ 2 volts.

People use the SPL specification to roughly compare the efficiency of various speakers. While you have all the information on you spec sheet, I think it could be a little misleading as it appears at first glance that your speakers are more efficient than they really are.

eg. Sensitivity - EAW 2001 95 dB    DBH 117dB ... that's a lot of difference until you look more closely.

http://eaw.com/portfolio_page/sb2001/
EAW  - 1W/m

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/tour-sound/vtx-series/g28#Specs
JBL  - 1W/m

http://www.turbosound.com/upload-files/File/datasheets/TSW218_datasheet_v2.0.pdf
Turbosound - 1W/m

http://nexo-sa.com/attachments/products/49/nexo_rs18_datasheet.pdf
Nexo – 1W/m

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/danley/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/DBH-218-spec-sheet.pdf
Danley – Sensitivity @ 1m  (fine print - 2.83 volts ฝ space) and the nominal impedance is 2 ohms.
Another reason Danley uses voltage instead of wattage is that often times the ACTUAL impedance of the cabinet is a good bit different than the RATED impedance.

People want "simple" impedance numbers-like 4 8 or 16 ohms.

MANY-I said MANY people get very confused if a cabinet was rated for 6 form for example.  They just cant seem to figure out what amp to use-since they don't see that rating on the amplifier spec sheets.

So "standard" numbers are used.  But since the actual "wattage" wold be very different going into a "non standard" impedance-what should be used?

Lets say a cabinet is rated for 8 ohms-but the actual impedance is closer to 12 ohms.  Should you use the "standard" 2.83V to get 1 watt and use the wattage rating?

But you are putting less than 1 watt into the loudspeaker and this will give a lower SPL reading-so you are cheating yourself.  Or do you raise the input voltage to get 1 watt?  But at what freq?  What exactly is the "average" impedance?  Is it based on average per hertz? or Average per octave?  What bandwidth is actually considered in the "average".

As you can see-there are all sorts of different ways to come up with numbers to mean whatever you want.

So Danley keeps it simple and uses the same voltage for every cabinet-no matter the impedance.

OF course this requires a little bit of thought/knowledge and effort on the part of the end user to determine and compare to other products.

There are a tons of different "games" that can be played with the spec numbers.  To me it is important to know exactly where they are coming from-and how well the actual "simple numbers" stand up against the measured data and what sort of "real world" performance could be expected.

But some people like to keep things simple-so the truth is avoided.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Peter Morris

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 08:30:51 AM »

But some people like to keep things simple-so the truth is avoided.

give me a break Ivan   ;) ... EAW's 2001 sensitivity is quoted 95 dB W/m your brochure says the DBH is 117 dB, but if you look at your frequency response graph its more like 110 dB minus 6 dB for 1/2 space less another 6 for the 1 watt one meter figure, that's 98 dB average 30hz to 80Hz ... so the DBH is more like 3 dB louder than the EAW in use, which is about what I would expect ... and because it a horn it will be more accurate... and that's exactly what Caleb described  :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure its a great box and I would be proud to own some.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »

Huh ?

... and because it a horn it will be more accurate... a

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 10:15:27 AM ยป

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.