ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to raise prices?  (Read 15478 times)

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
Time to raise prices?
« on: May 22, 2014, 07:06:49 AM »

Last Saturday was the third show I did this year where the client handed me more money than I asked for. Also got 4 calls this week that were referrals from previous clients and two were large multi band events. One offered me twice what I would have quoted before I even got a chance to quote it.

Time to raise my prices? I think so.

I should mention I am in a very low priced market, and most of you would call me a "bottom feeder" based on my prices but I was trying to establish a reputation for quality work with the intention of getting referrals because of it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:15:17 AM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Time to raise prices?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 08:20:17 AM »

Level 1 - Complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »

one of my last jobs before I downsized, I bid a job at about twice what I would have done it for, because I didn't want the job. They paid it. I left a lot of money on the table over the years. Some people thought I was gouging them, some didn't take me seriously because I didn't charge enough, you can't win!

John Chiara

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 10:23:32 AM »

Last Saturday was the third show I did this year where the client handed me more money than I asked for. Also got 4 calls this week that were referrals from previous clients and two were large multi band events. One offered me twice what I would have quoted before I even got a chance to quote it.

I should mention I am in a very low priced market, and most of you would call me a "bottom feeder" based on my prices but I was trying to establish a reputation for quality work with the intention of getting referrals because of it.

You appear to be in a market that functions logically. I would maximize my results if I were you.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 10:34:35 AM »

Get all you can get. If you feel you are worth it. Good quality cost more in any business.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 10:36:31 AM »

Yes, it is time to raise your prices.  After doing so, I suggest you spend some $ on a couple of small but highly visible things.  I suggest nice polo shirts with your logo/company name embroidered on them, then something in the equipment inventory that will go to every gig - wireless mixing would be a good example.

It's always a good idea to for a client to see different things after a price hike.  Whatever ain't physics is psychology.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:09:48 AM »

I suggest nice polo shirts with your logo/company name embroidered on them, then something in the equipment inventory that will go to every gig - wireless mixing would be a good example.

Have done both of these from the start. First impressions are everything and when the crew shows up with matching, branded clothing you've already established you're serious. Also have always worked as a two man crew and one person always stays at the board by the stage (EDIT* technically as far as the band's concerned, they're mixing the monitors and watching the stage, but usually they're just standing there doing nothing, but when a mic stand boom fails or a drum mic comes loose and someone rushes into action, the band is impressed*) while the other remote mixes. I think it automatically makes me look more "professional". Going to restructure prices and system offerings this weekend. Recently just added costing for extra travel and a 3rd crew person for multi band events.  Since I am expecting a delivery of some ETX35Ps this week, it a good time to update everything.  Bands in my area are only willing to spend about $200-250 max for sound but all my referrals for non-bar gigs are coming from the bands I'm doing bar gigs for. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 04:26:52 PM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:39:04 AM »

Bands in my area are only willing to spend about $200-250 max for sound...

I'd consider starting back up again for that kind of money. Before I [basically] stopped, I was  down to one 7-piece band paying me $250 for SR, but I did ALL the work (with one assistant). It was worth it to them to NOT worry about PA.  Most other bands in my area want full PA and lights for $125 or not at all.  They'll go out and buy a B*ringer rig instead. Not worth even backing my truck up to the trailer for that.

I make twice that [now] for playing (bass/guitar) gigs on the weekend. 

Rob Gow

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »

Good stuff. It took me a couple years to get to where I'm fairly happy with what I'm making. I always wish it could be more but that's life.

One thing you might consider adding is a touch of lighting. For everything I do, I always include a pair of Blizzard Fab5's they are an RGBAW fixture for some front lighting. These days the Hotbox RGBAW is the replacement (I believe the fab5 is discontinued) it would be something that would definitely add to your setup, something noticeable.

Here's an open mic without any lights (hard pressed for time)
http://youtu.be/W0KD8eSlDWI

And another open mic, same venue with a light on each main speaker, each set to a slow fade.
http://youtu.be/Q3WBmJAUdTk

Might cost you $500ish but then you're sitting pretty, and it's an added new feature!!

Good luck!!

Edit: offer $200 + shipping each for 2 new hot boxes

Look at this on eBay:

Blizzard Lighting HotBox 5 RGBAW *MAKE OFFER* New w/ Warranty

http://bit.ly/1jYdL8v
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:14:41 PM by Rob Gow »

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »

That strategy is very difficult to make work.  Once you establish your reputation of low prices, it's pretty tough to shake that.  If you can do a job for a client this year for a low price, they aren't going to be happy if you double it next year.  You'll end up losing that client, and be no better off than if you had started with your pricing where it needs to be.

Now, working up the ladder on the type of events you can do is a strategy that can work.  Simple bar jobs are a starting point, and the pay matches that.  But once you move up and beyond that, you can forget about continuing to do those jobs, because the $$ don't work out long term.

When setting pricing, using the formula equipment + transportation + Labor is an important formula.  Don't let the customer dictate the price.  If they won't pay what it COSTS for you to do the job, don't take it.  This is a business.  Make some $$ at it, or get out of the way.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.