ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: monitor effects  (Read 3279 times)

Bob Kidd

monitor effects
« on: June 04, 2014, 08:29:01 PM »

OK, so I need to be able to supply verb and delay on lead mic in monitor mix. Im running monitors via iPad off of sound craft compact FOH. I generally run virtual channels on 23 thru 32 to bypass processing but is there away to route the effect to monitor as well keeping monitor and main mix seperate. Thanks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: monitor effects
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:03:57 AM »

OK, so I need to be able to supply verb and delay on lead mic in monitor mix. Im running monitors via iPad off of sound craft compact FOH. I generally run virtual channels on 23 thru 32 to bypass processing but is there away to route the effect to monitor as well keeping monitor and main mix seperate. Thanks

Where ever your FX return to, a channel or dedicated return input, you should be able to send the FX to monitors via the same AUX send you use for the dry input.  If your center vocal mix is Aux 1, then turn up the Aux 1 send on the FX return channel.  Treat it just like any other input that has to go to both mains and monitors (except you'll want to mute it between songs or when the singer is talking).

No mystery, Bob.  Just think of it like another input the musician needs in his mix.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

bruce gering

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 09:40:50 AM »

OK, so why the hell do they need effects in the monitors? Talent enhancer?

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »

why the hell do they need effects in the monitors?

Ultimately you do what your client demands, but perhaps a conversation about the increased exposure to feedback and the reduced ability to hear pitch and tempo cues (which is, as some believe, the sole purpose of monitors) might be in order.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »

OK, so why the hell do they need effects in the monitors? Talent enhancer?

Totally agree. But if that's what he wants. He is using in ear and s wedge. Wants effects for vox in his in ear mix. I actually decided to use x32 for monitors instead of the iPad route.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 12:59:37 PM »

If the artist is using IEM than some articles are stating that it helps to have some reverb in the mix for the artist. 

This is for the IEM mix only however.   If you add in audience or room mics the reverb should not be needed.

Just my 0.02 worth.

Dave Neale

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:04:14 PM »

Audience mics ARE reverb.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:24:53 PM »

Bob, I how are you on routing the reverb after we spoke? Tim is right - the FX return routing is what is messing with you here, you need to treat them like any other channel.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 02:51:17 AM »

I have only ever put reverb into monitors once and that was for Patti Smith.  She wanted as much reverb as possible.  Strangely, it was for a show which was mainly talking (poetry reading, etc). She only performed two or three songs.

Steve.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »

Weird. I've used FX by request in the monitors in very dry rooms, one club in DC in particular. Usually it'll be front person with a pair of wedges and I'll configure the wedges stereo. The reverb works a lot better, and you need a lot less of it to satisfy the artists desires, in stereo.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 12:32:40 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.