ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL - 2way vs 3way tops  (Read 24213 times)

Doug Wolfe

JBL - 2way vs 3way tops
« on: May 21, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »

Hey everyone- had a quick question about an upgrade I'm about to do.  Currently running (2) JBL SRX 718s and looking to upgrade to nicer tops than I currently have.  The JBL 2 ways I'm looking at have (2) 15s and a horn, and the 3 ways have (1) 15, mid range, and horn.  Any experience with these in comparison or suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks
Doug

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: JBL - 2way vs 3way tops
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 12:18:33 PM »

Read the rules, fix your display name. 

Thank you for your cooperation.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Doug Wolfe

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »

Sorry for messing up my display name, but now that its fixed, does anyone have any input?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 01:08:54 PM »

Hey everyone- had a quick question about an upgrade I'm about to do.  Currently running (2) JBL SRX 718s and looking to upgrade to nicer tops than I currently have.  The JBL 2 ways I'm looking at have (2) 15s and a horn, and the 3 ways have (1) 15, mid range, and horn.  Any experience with these in comparison or suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks
Doug

You mentioned the subs you have (SRX718) but not the tops you currently have. Without knowing what model(s) you have or what you are looking at... it's like asking "I have a car, and I want one that goes faster. Should I buy one with two doors, or four?"

So, sorry to sound all negative here, but if you can give us more information, we can make an informed comment on your current rig and where you want to go!

Also, if you have a budget price to stick under (or heck, a floor that you want to spend at LEAST that much! Haha), that would be relevant information to know as well. :)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »

Obviously the OP is looking for a  comparison between the JBL 2 15" and horn model(STX 825) and the three way model(STX 835).  I don't see how whatever he is currently using as tops or what his budget is matters.

I have not compared the two speakers in question but I'm sure someone here has.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:31:20 PM by Chuck Simon »

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 01:54:03 PM »

Obviously the OP is looking for a  comparison between the JBL 2 15" and horn model(STX 825) and the three way model(STX 835).  I don't see how whatever he is currently using as tops or what his budget is matters.

It could also be the PRX725 vs the 735. Or any myriad of other JBL speaker lines if he's buying used. They've had a 215 and a 3-way box in almost every iteration of MI-type speaker cabinet.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 01:55:50 PM »

In very general terms, the dual 15 cabinet gets louder and handles more power while the 3-way cabinet sounds better.

Which one is more important to you? In either case, you will probably want more subwooferage.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 02:15:32 PM »

Obviously... without knowing the tops he currently has, there is no way we can make an opinion as to what model(s) would be "nicer" then what he already has. He mentioned SRX718s, but as those are subwoofers... (Anyone can guess on details, but I like to think on here that we make informed opinions based on having sufficient information.)

As Tim also pointed out, JBL has released at least a couple of models in their history. So it would be nice to know what models the OP is considering between, because then we could provide some hands on experience reports.

As for budget, well, he did ask for other suggestions, so it's helpful to know what he is looking to spend before suggesting something that could very well be out of his price range!

-Ray

Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Doug Wolfe

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies.  I didnt mention the tops bc they are just an old set of Peavey Black Widows that I already had and happened to get a good deal on the woofers.  Im looking at either a used set of 2 way SRXs or a new pair of the 3 way STXs.  Budget isnt too much of a concern. 

Tim Weaver - thanks for the basic info. Thats what I was looking for to start.   So, I guess the question is can I still get good vocal clarity and highs out of the 2 ways?

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »

The 725 sounds very good when powered and processed properly, with the bonus of having a very good spl/weight ratio.

Have not heard the STX three way box, but it reportedly sounds very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 23 queries.