ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL - 2way vs 3way tops  (Read 24211 times)

Alex Rigodanzo

• U.P. of MI "M Go Blue!"
    • Next Myle band
Re: JBL - 2way vs 3way tops
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 03:50:10 PM »

If I was buying used SRX's, I'd be buying 722's.  Two 12's and a horn.  12's aren't as beamy as 15's in the midrange and the cabs are smaller and lighter but still seriously potent output.

All the JBL tops I've used so far are 2-way and I've always been satisfied with the sound.  We do have a set of 3-ways now that will be added for outdoor gigs so I'll finally be able to compare side-by-side. (4731 & 4732)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 09:27:21 PM by Alex Rigodanzo »
I'm not single, I'm in a long-term relationship with Freedom

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies.  I didnt mention the tops bc they are just an old set of Peavey Black Widows that I already had and happened to get a good deal on the woofers.  Im looking at either a used set of 2 way SRXs or a new pair of the 3 way STXs.  Budget isnt too much of a concern. 

Tim Weaver - thanks for the basic info. Thats what I was looking for to start.   So, I guess the question is can I still get good vocal clarity and highs out of the 2 ways?
Doug-
I've got a full rig with SRX725s over 728s. (Bob Leonard on the forums here has 725s over 718s and will probably chime in soon.) You can bi-amp them, but the internal crossover works well, and so passive isn't bad at all. They are definitely loud! Some people dislike the 15"s over the 12"s in, say, the SRX722. (JBL didn't see fit to include a 12" model in the STX line.) I've been happy with the 725s.

Another company in my market purchased a set of 4 each STX835 and STX828S, powered with XTi6002s, and they have been very happy with that rig. Small and compact, but has a great punch to it.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Kidd

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »

Doug-
I've got a full rig with SRX725s over 728s. (Bob Leonard on the forums here has 725s over 718s and will probably chime in soon.) You can bi-amp them, but the internal crossover works well, and so passive isn't bad at all. They are definitely loud! Some people dislike the 15"s over the 12"s in, say, the SRX722. (JBL didn't see fit to include a 12" model in the STX line.) I've been happy with the 725s.

-Ray

+1.   I have same setup and sounds great

Jens Droessler

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »

If you're talking about the STX835, go for it! If you have the money, bi-amp them and get a lot of power for the two 15" per enclosure. You'll be surprised how loud they can get that way.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »

Hey everyone- had a quick question about an upgrade I'm about to do.  Currently running (2) JBL SRX 718s and looking to upgrade to nicer tops than I currently have.  The JBL 2 ways I'm looking at have (2) 15s and a horn, and the 3 ways have (1) 15, mid range, and horn.  Any experience with these in comparison or suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks
Doug

SRX725's over SRX728's are a great combination. Unfortunately they are no longer made. If it's a choice between the STX825 and the STX835, I would go with the STX835 all day long.

Keep in mind the 835's are 60 X 40 while the 825's are 90 X 50

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »

SRX725's over SRX728's are a great combination. Unfortunately they are no longer made. If it's a choice between the STX825 and the STX835, I would go with the STX835 all day long.

Keep in mind the 835's are 60 X 40 while the 825's are 90 X 50

I don't own JBL anything, but as a touring club-level guy I am forced get to use SRX rigs in all flavors and states of disrepair.

That being said, I am absolutely not a fan of the dual 15 two way box in pretty much any flavor. I never get good solid coverage out of them.

The 3 way box will probably have a waveguide on the mid driver which will help keep the sound on the seats and off the walls and ceiling....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »

I'll agree with everyone with one exception. 15" drivers aren't "beamy", whatever that's supposed to mean. I have run four (4) 725'S over 718's for a number of years now. I've upgraded some amplifers, my board twice, and my DSP twice. I also upgraded my cabinets once, replacing my 722s with 725's and have been more than happy that I did.

The SRX 725 weighs in at just less than 100lbs, however, one person can easily handle the 725, and one person can place a 725 on top of a 718 or 728. In my world tone is king and the 725s when properly processed can sound almost as good as any cabinet you might find, certainly better than any cabinet in it's price range. The 725 is almost indestructable if powered properly and cared for, four (4) will cover a crowd up to 1500-2000 waterbags, they splay nicely and stay clean at very high spl.

I should also note that the same 725s sounded better with the upgrade of the board (Expression) and the DSP (dbx 4800). Like having money in the bank.

I have lately given thought toward upgrading the cabinets to either VP315 or the STX835, the only cabinets I would consider for the work I do. However, at 62 the expense is probably not needed, and really, how much better can a system sound, even to a guy like me who's never satisfied.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 10:55:44 PM »

I don't own JBL anything, but as a touring club-level guy I am forced get to use SRX rigs in all flavors and states of disrepair.

That being said, I am absolutely not a fan of the dual 15 two way box in pretty much any flavor. I never get good solid coverage out of them.

The 3 way box will probably have a waveguide on the mid driver which will help keep the sound on the seats and off the walls and ceiling....

Sorry to hear that Tim. Any reason you can think of? Surely these aren't systems you've tuned.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »

Sorry to hear that Tim. Any reason you can think of? Surely these aren't systems you've tuned.

Very poor off-axis response. They have a ton of low mids that radiate essentially in freespace. The region from 300ish up to the crossover point is wildly narrowing as it goes up in frequency,  then the horn kicks in and you get a bit wider pattern at the crossover region until it starts to narrow again around 3k.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 01:03:12 AM »

Very poor off-axis response. They have a ton of low mids that radiate essentially in freespace. The region from 300ish up to the crossover point is wildly narrowing as it goes up in frequency,  then the horn kicks in and you get a bit wider pattern at the crossover region until it starts to narrow again around 3k.

"Christmas-tree" horizontal coverage.  It narrows in each pass band as the freq goes up, until you get to the next pass band transducer.  Rinse & repeat.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 01:03:12 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.