ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Yamaha mc166c problem  (Read 6975 times)

Brian Hust

Re: New Yamaha mc166c problem
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »

IMO, as far as the board goes, you'd probably been better off waiting till you could afford a used A&H MixWiz(can be found for ~$500). I've had one of those "wonderful" mg166c's and there was a very noticable sound quality improvement switching to my current Mackie Onyx 1640(similar in quality and features in the MixWiz). Also for $300-500 you could have found a used first generation Yamaha 01v digital board.

Anyway good luck, that's just 2¢ FWIW

Hey Tommy, I had looked at the MixWiz boards as well as the ZED series from A&H along with the MG series from yamaha. The main use is personal monitoring at home for rehearsing and practicing on my own. I also considered one of the 01V from Yamaha and I was tempted but felt that since this is my first foray into mixers that an analog would be better to get started on.  I was really concerned about feeling overwhelmed with a digital console with not having the visual path for each channel like you find on an analog console. Since I'm just learning this new art I know if I feel overwhelmed or frustrated that will keep me from wanting to use it.

So I figured for the price the MG was a decent mixer to get started on and learn on. While I know the MixWiz and the 01V are better boards I didn't want to make that $500+ investment in a board right away to find out for purposes of practicing and rehearsing that it didn't really do what I wanted. Also recording isn't a big need for me, if I find out later on that I want to start recording or doing videos for youtube or find that I want something different in sound I can sell this board without taking a huge hit and invest in a better one that will be more flexible for those needs.

That was my thought process going into this.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:08:45 PM by Brian Hust »

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 10:06:34 PM »

Hey Tommy, I had looked at the MixWiz boards as well as the ZED series from A&H along with the MG series from yamaha. The main use is personal monitoring. I also considered one of the 01V96 from Yamaha and I was tempted but felt that since this is my first foray into mixers that an analog would be better to get started on.  I was really concerned about feeling overwhelmed with a digital console with not having the visual path for each channel like you find on an analog console. Since I'm just learning this new art I know if I feel overwhelmed or frustrated that will keep me from wanting to use it.

So I figured for the price the MG was a decent mixer to get started on and learn on. While I know the MixWiz and the 01V96 are better boards I didn't want to make that $500-$1000 investment in a board right away to find out for purposes of practicing and rehearsing that it didn't really do what I wanted. Also recording isn't a big need for me, if I find out later on that I want to start recording or doing videos for youtube I can sell this board without taking a huge hit and invest in a better one that will be more flexible for those needs.

Understandable. Just wanted to make sure you know about the other options. Have a great week!

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Purity+(All-F2FS and ART) + HellsCore b46-t4 using Tapatalk Pro

Brian Hust

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »

Understandable. Just wanted to make sure you know about the other options. Have a great week!

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Purity+(All-F2FS and ART) + HellsCore b46-t4 using Tapatalk Pro

And I greatly appreciate that!

I've been looking,contemplating and researching this for months.  My wife was actually somewhat surprised I didn't go for the "higher tech" digital board.  When I explained it to her why I was shying away from it she said it makes sense. I have a feeling at some point I will end up with a different board but for now this is a start.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.