ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: BEHRINGER DCX 2496LE  (Read 10623 times)

Jamel Hagan

BEHRINGER DCX 2496LE
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:21:23 AM »

I have been using just a crossover on my amp rack. The DBx 223  on my amp rack and system. The system consist of 2 15"  folded horn  subs and 2 jbl mrx 512 tops.I find my self adjusting the crossover and the gain on the crossover to compensate for the room. In other words I am using the crossover like an eq. I know it is  wrong that is why i am looking into the behringer dcx 2496le. The LE is the new and lower price point version. I can get a dbx driverack used for the same price or I can have DCX2496le brand new for the same price.  I heard mostly good things about previous DCX2496 but nothing about the new LE version. I have no problem buying the LE version cus my rig is just for sound reinforcement. No live sound or speeches. Just music. I was wonder had any one had any experience with the LE version.

Thomas Le

Re: BEHRINGER DCX 2496LE
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 02:36:36 AM »

You need to change your display name to your real name or else the admin will lock up this thread.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:38:56 AM »

I find my self adjusting the crossover and the gain on the crossover to compensate for the room. In other words I am using the crossover like an eq. I know it is  wrong that is why i am looking into the behringer dcx 2496le.

I can't speak to the LE but it sounds like you're treating the symptoms instead of resolving the underlying problem.  If you can't RTA your rig, you should have a fixed xover point between the subs and the MRX512's. Look at the subs specs, then high-pass at the appropriate point. 100Hz is average, but you may have to adjust up or down slightly.

Run a variety of music that you are familiar with thru the PA and adjust xover output gain to ensure balance between subs and tops. Might require you to boost top gain, or cut subs. 
You didn't mention a console, but you should be able to EQ for most rooms with that set up.

That said, you'll get some extra features with the DCX that are not on the DBX, but trying the above might save you some $$.  Personally, I'd save up and get a real DRPA.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »

I was wonder had any one had any experience with the LE version.

With horn loaded subs you definitely need some way to time align the tops to them and the DCX would be a good way to achieve that. I haven't use the LE version but I own and have setup many of the standard versions and I prefer these to the DRPA actually as they have more useful features, have greater routing flexability, and are a little easier to navigate. With a test microphone like the Behringer ECM8000 you can use the Auto-Align feature to correct the time delay between your subs and tops. Now it's always good to question the accuracy of the Auto features found in many of the processors, getting positive results requires that you understand what's being done, so it's always good to verify the results it produces in other ways such as with an independent test and measurement setup. I have done just that with my gear and can report that when the directions are followed and you're just comparing 2 sources at a time the DCX produces good results.

John Chiara

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »

[\quote]

That said, you'll get some extra features with the DCX that are not on the DBX, but trying the above might save you some $$.  Personally, I'd save up and get a real DRPA.
[/quote]

Gosh noo!! The DRPA is the most convoluted and unintuative processor I have ever used. The DCX ease of use would make me pay MORE for it than the DBX.

chuck clark

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »

9 yrs ago I bought a DRPA and 3 B'ringer x-overs. The DRPA is still going, all three of the B'ringers are dead. It takes some getting used to but it's not THAT bad. (If you think it's convoluted don't buy a new digital mixer!) I do find myself wishing DBX would come out w/ an updated version.
Have a lovely day!
Chuck

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:56:27 PM »

Gosh noo!! The DRPA is the most convoluted and unintuative processor I have ever used. The DCX ease of use would make me pay MORE for it than the DBX.

John,
I've used DRPA, PA+, PAX and 260, and the DCX. While I agree the DR series (those I have used) can be VERY unintuitive, once you learn your way around.. its' not too difficult.

I do NOT use auto-FBE or Auto-RTA features.. running a 2x5 system with limiters, alignment delay (9 ms), xover settings and gain matching for outputs.    Pretty simple..
My DCX, my Behringer CX3400 (? or older model) and DBX 234(?) are all DEAD!!   DRPA is still going strong...

YMMV

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:09:27 AM »

John,
I've used DRPA, PA+, PAX and 260, and the DCX. While I agree the DR series (those I have used) can be VERY unintuitive, once you learn your way around.. its' not too difficult.

I do NOT use auto-FBE or Auto-RTA features.. running a 2x5 system with limiters, alignment delay (9 ms), xover settings and gain matching for outputs.    Pretty simple..
My DCX, my Behringer CX3400 (? or older model) and DBX 234(?) are all DEAD!!   DRPA is still going strong...

YMMV

Sorry but the low-end driverack products are crap.  Search around and find a used BSS, XTA, Lake, or Protea. You'll be super glad you did. Most of these brands built oem processors under a different name too. I have a JBL DSC260 which is the same as a BSS omnidrive. Just different colors, but I only payed $125 for it.

Unless you get into a DR260 or better, you'd be better off just saving your money.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »

Sorry but the low-end driverack products are crap.

Unless you get into a DR260 or better, you'd be better off just saving your money.

Tim, (with all due respect) that's no different than saying Ferrari's are great and VW beetles are crap. Most in this forum are weekend warriors, and don't have $2K to invest in a DSP. Much as I'd LOVE to drive a Ferrari (308GTB specifically, if that matters), reality is that it's out of my price range.. so I'm stuck driving a Lexus. 

And sure, if you put a $400 DSP up against a $2K+ DSP - bingo.. you are absolutely right! Same with matching a basic 31-band EQ (B*ringer, Alto) up against a high-end Danley or Neve EQ.  The lower 2 listed will be viewed as crap.

Thankfully, 95% of the weekend warrior audience can't distinguish the diff. :)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »

Tim, (with all due respect) that's no different than saying Ferrari's are great and VW beetles are crap. Most in this forum are weekend warriors, and don't have $2K to invest in a DSP. Much as I'd LOVE to drive a Ferrari (308GTB specifically, if that matters), reality is that it's out of my price range.. so I'm stuck driving a Lexus. 

And sure, if you put a $400 DSP up against a $2K+ DSP - bingo.. you are absolutely right! Same with matching a basic 31-band EQ (B*ringer, Alto) up against a high-end Danley or Neve EQ.  The lower 2 listed will be viewed as crap.

Thankfully, 95% of the weekend warrior audience can't distinguish the diff. :)

That's not the case at all. I just went to Northern Sound's website, and priced a DR260 for $677.38.

That is a brand new, off the shelf crossover for just a little bit more. You'll find that it has everything needed for basic system processing, plus better sounding converters than what is used in the DRPA level stuff. It has PC control (via RS232 unfortunately) that makes it even easier to use. And it won't die in the middle of a show like the Behringer stuff.

While there at NS&L I saw a DSP built by TC electronics. It is the same price as the DR260. I've never seen or used it, but TC will, I'm sure, Sound better than a DRPA.

A used BSS Omnidrive would be a big step above the DR260 and is an excellent processor. It looks like with a little patience and luck you could buy one from 450-1000.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Signal-Processors-Rack-Effects-/23791/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=BSS+omnidrive&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 12:31:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.