ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: GC Severs Relationship With Behringer  (Read 16617 times)

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: GC Severs Relationship With Behringer
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 06:55:01 PM »

What are you talking about? Clicking on an item or a description opens a detail window where you click a button to buy them. What browser are you using, 'cause it works fine on FF and IE and Safari.
Safari. Last time I checked Firefox it was doing that as well. I presume (as I mentioned before) that there's some new widget or gizmo that website developers are requiring now, but they don't tell you about it. Probably linked to Facebook, but since I don't use FB, I don't get prompted to install those sorts of things. Same problem with their navigation menu, where you cannot click on a sub category to look in it. *shrugs*

Not important, just annoying that it's difficult/impossible to use.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »

Safari. Last time I checked Firefox it was doing that as well. I presume (as I mentioned before) that there's some new widget or gizmo that website developers are requiring now, but they don't tell you about it. Probably linked to Facebook, but since I don't use FB, I don't get prompted to install those sorts of things. Same problem with their navigation menu, where you cannot click on a sub category to look in it. *shrugs*

Not important, just annoying that it's difficult/impossible to use.
It sounds like you've definitely got issues with your browser, so there's not much point in complaining about their site when the problem is on your end...
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 09:11:43 PM »

It sounds like you've definitely got issues with your browser, so there's not much point in complaining about their site when the problem is on your end...

Issues, or again, they're now requiring something "cool" that they didn't need before. It worked fine and then about two years ago it stopped working fine. I know they redid their website around then (The company that developed my site bid on their site; even delivered the bid in a road briefcase! Haha.), so something was changed *on their end* that makes it so it doesn't always work fine anymore.

Again, no big problem cos it just costs them sales, but it shows an interesting trend with the internets to always "be new and cool and flashy," and not worrying that the usage of new and cool technologies might be problematic with a system that's not being upgraded every week in a vain effort to keep up.

We're way off track now, though, from the original thread. :-p
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »

You mentioned "It worked fine and then about two years ago". If the site has been upgraded or changed in that period of time I have no doubt those changes probably require plug-ins that are a little more up to date than those from 2 years ago.

I personally have no issues with GC or MF. Both have served me just fine. That may be because I don't depend on them for support, but the prices are fine and the product available or easy to get.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »

...If I were Fender or Gibson, I'd be hedging my bets and being sure that I had a solid relationship with mom& pop stores, as they may turn out to be more reliable and less risk in the long run...
Gibson, Fender, and a few others severed those relationships a long time ago by demanding the M&P buy more and more until finally most were priced out.
These are 2 interesting points.  Until about 2 months ago the only Gibson dealers in the state of OK were GC's as Gibson had indeed acted just as Bob describes.  Something's definitely changed in Gibson's mind since now our 3 stores here in the OKC area are the only non-GC Gibson dealers in the state.  Fender, on the other hand, has maintained a much larger number of dealers, including us.  Granted, they have a much broader product line to represent and now the own the former Kaman Group of companies.  Point being that at least in our area Fender was not nearly so aggressive as Gibson in the demands that were placed upon their dealers.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 01:53:07 PM »

Tom,
Owning a music store I'm sure you understand the costs for stocking Gibson products as a franchised reseller. I believe the initial buy in per year is over 250K at this point, and to many smaller dealers that's substantial. If Gibson has indeed lowered the buy in that would be wonderful as long as the franchise/product costs were the same in all cases. Most of my guitars have been "hands on " sales, or hand picked by a trusted, very trusted, third party. The Gibson franchise also opens up the door to Epiphone. My thought is that now that Gibson as a brand has decided to market a lower cost product line bearing their name many dealers are willing to chance the franchise fee on the belief the sale of many low cost instruments pays for the franchise, allows the purchase of higher costs "custom shop", LP, and semi hollow body instruments on a mostly "on demand" basis. Good for Gibson, and good for the dealers. I hope you're able to also take advantage of this trend.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Tom Burgess

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »

Tom,
Owning a music store I'm sure you understand the costs for stocking Gibson products as a franchised reseller. I believe the initial buy in per year is over 250K at this point, and to many smaller dealers that's substantial. If Gibson has indeed lowered the buy in that would be wonderful as long as the franchise/product costs were the same in all cases. Most of my guitars have been "hands on " sales, or hand picked by a trusted, very trusted, third party. The Gibson franchise also opens up the door to Epiphone. My thought is that now that Gibson as a brand has decided to market a lower cost product line bearing their name many dealers are willing to chance the franchise fee on the belief the sale of many low cost instruments pays for the franchise, allows the purchase of higher costs "custom shop", LP, and semi hollow body instruments on a mostly "on demand" basis. Good for Gibson, and good for the dealers. I hope you're able to also take advantage of this trend.
For clarification, I'm not the owner... just a monkey turning the crank, lol!   8) 

(But I am a senior monkey)

The buy-in and commitment levels may well vary from market to market so I think it would be inappropriate for me to comment on the numbers but it is significant.

Thus far the response has been excellent.  We've taken on the full line including Epiphone but the greatest interest up to this point has been in USA Gibsons.  We're also full-line Fender.  Our high end GTR room is looking pretty sporty at the moment with Gibson, Fender, Martin, Taylor, and Takamine.

Being a full-line musical instrument store is a double-edged sword to be sure but at least it's never boring.

On the topic of MG and GC, it'll no doubt be an interesting soap opera to view as they untangle whatever financial obligations that still exist. What GC does with existing MG inventory will be intriguing as well.  Does MG hold UCC1's on unsold product in the store?  Does GC blow it all out through MF before MF and GC get separated, (as some experts seem to think will happen)?  Does MG buy back and redistribute unopened items?   Who knows?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:16:40 PM by Tom Burgess »
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 06:58:58 PM »

Point made. The lower costs Gibsons probably fly out the door with the Epiphones doing the same but at a higher rate. I think GC may move their existing B inventory at very low advertised pricing not caring if it's under MAP or not with the hope and good chance that loss leaders will generate additional foot traffic and a chance to sell other or additional hardware and accessories with their point being if you need support call Behringer. As I had said, people who buy low end hardware often need more support than those who have been through that purchasing/learning cycle.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 07:40:55 PM »

As I had said, people who buy low end hardware often need more support than those who have been through that purchasing/learning cycle.

They may need it and want it, but if they don't pay for it they don't get it.

As I said, low end gear is designed to be easy to operate, or it doesn't do well.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »

I agree with the premise John, but that's seldom the case. John Doe walks into the store and buys his first $99 compressor, takes it home and doesn't have a clue, calls or goes back to the store and someone in sales has to teach him how to use it. You could always tell the person to RTFM, but that will come at the expense of a dissatisfied customer. For every one pissed customer you make you lose 10 sales. In the end you help the always right customer at the expense of missed opportunity and lost manpower. GC can stop most of this by tracking productivity, or at least track productivity, come up with an analysis, a baseline, and a plan to enhance productivity.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 09:03:15 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.