ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Waves MaxxBCL... All Hype?  (Read 12594 times)

Kristo Kotkas

• Eventech
Re: Waves MaxxBCL... All Hype?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 05:51:59 PM »

For those using the MAXXBCL - do you have it inserted across the mains or in series? I've had one for a few months and am enjoying it - but never been quite sure the best way to patch it.
Ended up as a main buss insert, principally because there's usually too much (black-box: no real amp attenuation possible) rig for the gig in my market and I never seemed to hit it hard enough when in series.
I'm interested in how others are deploying this unit (patching/settings etc).

Actually not a bad idea to have it inserted instead of series, since that way you get the benefit of sending BCL-processed, but differently EQ'ed signal out of matrixes to main L/R, infill, outfill, etc. when you use your desk as a system processor.

John Chiara

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:30 AM »

While conversing privately about the Maxxbass, I was relating back to my DAW use of the plugins and remember that the Maxxbass process has some effect on the low mid frequencies above the processing range. Last week I was doing a jazz mix and one session's bass drum needed a 'pillow' so we tried the RBass plug in...which I often use for different things depending on the mix...and we all noticed the 'coloring' of the mid frequencies to the point that we went a different way. In a live setting I only run the Maxxbass unit in an aux or buss fed sub setup so this doesn't matter. Has anyone using the BCL on a main send noticed any unusual coloration of frequencies above the Maxxbass region? It would great...IMO... if the BCL was a 3 in, 3 out unit.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »

For those using the MAXXBCL - do you have it inserted across the mains or in series? I've had one for a few months and am enjoying it - but never been quite sure the best way to patch it.
Ended up as a main buss insert, principally because there's usually too much (black-box: no real amp attenuation possible) rig for the gig in my market and I never seemed to hit it hard enough when in series.
I'm interested in how others are deploying this unit (patching/settings etc).

If using only the Maxxbass portion, preferably inserted on the mains bus, in order to get the "Maxbass coloration" in all fills, delays, recordings, etc.

Like I mentioned above I treat the whole unit mostly as a "mixing tool" so I want it's effects to appear everywhere when I use it.  If considering it more of a set-and-forget systems tool, then it would be OK to just associate it with the main stacks, or whatever you're using, so in cascade with the signal going to the main amp rack would be fine.

If using the entire BCL signal chain, definitively as an mains bus insert for me, that way the sonic effects of the compressor and limiter will be audible even if the level going out of the mixer is low, as well as on recordings.

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 08:09:03 PM »

While conversing privately about the Maxxbass, I was relating back to my DAW use of the plugins and remember that the Maxxbass process has some effect on the low mid frequencies above the processing range. Last week I was doing a jazz mix and one session's bass drum needed a 'pillow' so we tried the RBass plug in...which I often use for different things depending on the mix...and we all noticed the 'coloring' of the mid frequencies to the point that we went a different way. In a live setting I only run the Maxxbass unit in an aux or buss fed sub setup so this doesn't matter. Has anyone using the BCL on a main send noticed any unusual coloration of frequencies above the Maxxbass region? It would great...IMO... if the BCL was a 3 in, 3 out unit.

Having a three-channel one would be cool.  Even if the Maxbass portion of the unit basically only affects the hi/mids, the algorithms are triggered by content that's sub-heavy, so if using an aux-sub-setup, the signal going into the main bus and the maxbass might not have the correct "spectral content" for the unit to perform optimally.

If using the full BCL-functions, having the limiter "slam" the hi/mid-signal, but leaving the aux-fed-sub uncompressed, probably wouldn't sound very coherent.  But I've never tried.

Setting the "blend" to 100% and running the filter at 200Hz sounds crap, if that's what you were asking.  Setting it at 40Hz and 70% when running a proper PA system puts a smile on your face :)

When using the Maxxbass to make smaller SOS speakers sound like they have subs one has to rebember that there still is no free lunch.

What the Maxxbass does (simplified explanation) is that it puts out weird stuff at 250Hz that tricks your brain into thinking you're listening to 60Hz. It does work really well, but that 250Hz energy also has to come from somewhere, so it does subtract from whatever headroom your boxes have at 250Hz.

Phill Chapman

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 09:34:04 AM »

What the Maxxbass does (simplified explanation) is that it puts out weird stuff at 250Hz that tricks your brain into thinking you're listening to 60Hz.

And the more technical explanation of the "missing fundamental" can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_fundamental.  It's a fascinating psychoacoustic effect.
Phill Chapman
Delta Live

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 12:17:47 PM »

And the more technical explanation of the "missing fundamental" can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_fundamental.  It's a fascinating psychoacoustic effect.
  Interesting read.  Thanks Phill.
..db

John Chiara

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »

Interesting read.  Thanks Phill.

I have been using Maxxbass units for years and if you can wrap your head around it and visualize what's happening, you can build systems around the concept from the start. Anyone in power starved situations can be totally saved with a proper setup. I did a tent show a few years ago...Prog Rock stuff, and some low synth stuff had ME wondering where the depth and power was coming from.... All running on GFI's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 12:59:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.