ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 kick drums  (Read 7885 times)

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: 2 kick drums
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 01:17:34 PM »

So I had a drummer bitching about having to carry both his kicks that he absolutely needed for his sound some distance at an outdoor stage.

I just pointed to the 6 double 18 subs we had brought so he double kicks could be heard and said " you are talking to the guy who moved those, on the way out I will move your drums if you move the subs".

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »

So I had a drummer bitching about having to carry both his kicks that he absolutely needed for his sound some distance at an outdoor stage.

I just pointed to the 6 double 18 subs we had brought so he double kicks could be heard and said " you are talking to the guy who moved those, on the way out I will move your drums if you move the subs".

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

From my own ignorance -- is there a real difference in tone with doubles versus singles?  Does the drummer tune them differently? 

I would think that the audience -- outside -- is only going the hear the 6 double 18s.
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 02:24:52 PM »

From my own ignorance -- is there a real difference in tone with doubles versus singles?  Does the drummer tune them differently? 

I would think that the audience -- outside -- is only going the hear the 6 double 18s.

They never sound the same - tuning pitch, sustain, attack, level...  The differences can be minor or stunningly big, but I've yet to hear 2 kicks sound identical.  I'd want independent control of each mic.

Drummers tend to tune so it sounds however they want it from their listening position.  Not a fault, it's a human tendency.  Our microphones are "listening" to a pretty different sound than what the drummer is hearing, though, and differences that are readily apparent to the mixerperson(s) may not be obvious to the drummer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »

Honestly, today i think it is more about the early 80's image of excess (think kits with 6 toms and 12 splash/crash) then it is about sound, especially with the double pedal/same drum technique that is far more common.
Jay Barracato

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 03:02:58 PM »

As a drummer (part metal~) and engineer: Some believe they need it for the feel, but that's bs. Plenty of the really tough guys just use one kick (check Alex Rudinger playing "Xenochrist" on YouTube f.inst.). But it does look cool - they almost never sound the same, though.
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »

I have had it where the second kick is just for looks and not actually used.  You might want to ask, if you haven't already.
Honestly, today i think it is more about the early 80's image of excess (think kits with 6 toms and 12 splash/crash) then it is about sound, especially with the double pedal/same drum technique that is far more common.
Yup, the Kiss tribute act I did the other week had double kick, but quick to mention that one was just for show.  The 6 rack & 2 floor toms all needed to be micd, mind...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »

They never sound the same - tuning pitch, sustain, attack, level...  The differences can be minor or stunningly big, but I've yet to hear 2 kicks sound identical.  I'd want independent control of each mic.

Drummers tend to tune so it sounds however they want it from their listening position.  Not a fault, it's a human tendency.  Our microphones are "listening" to a pretty different sound than what the drummer is hearing, though, and differences that are readily apparent to the mixerperson(s) may not be obvious to the drummer.

Can we have an amen my brother. I don't think Ginger or Carmine would have it any other way.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.